Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,125
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Lies told by Didier Gailhaguet about Surya Bonaly

    Comments on another thread reminded me of some of the delightful stories (ie baldfaced lies) told by Didier Gailhaguet about Surya Bonaly starting in 1989 (born on Reunion, never cut her hair, only ate seeds and nuts etc etc etc).

    With that in mind I decided to start a thread compiling other lies told by him about Surya. In the true Gailhaguet spirit, these don't actually have to correspond with anything he ever said.

    nb, no hating! I'm a big Bonaly fan from way back so these are offered in affection

    I'll start off:

    She sleeps hangng upside down like a bat.

    She would never take a car to a competition and would hitchhike instead.

    Is both colorblind and synesthesic = so that orange sounds just like green to her.

    She once received a marriage proposal from Gerard Depardieu.

    She briefly ran a walnut orchard.

    She loved skating figures but unfortunately was not allowed to practice them by her religion.

    She could benchpress 350 pounds.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    In the mountains, where hippies and hillbillies collide!
    Posts
    6,640
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    In another vein entirely, which things are true? I read this Sports Illustrated article about her earlier this week, from just before Worlds in 1995. Totally interesting and a very different picture of Surya and Suzanne Bonaly than normally portrayed.

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...93/1/index.htm

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    Posts
    2,424
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    A friend told me that at Birmingham Worlds, room was always set aside in the Kiss and Cry for Madame Bonaly's broomstick.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In the middle of a hair war with Alena Leonova.
    Posts
    2,545
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    She was actually singing live, while skating, for her exhibition performance at 1994 Worlds.

    That back flip at the 1998 Olympics was actually a double-layout, but the networks were told to edit it at once before the time-delayed broadcast to a single so people's heads wouldn't explode.

    She actually made her own first pair of skates, out of mountain goat dung and diamonds from her native land of Reunion.

    Because she had so many artistic ideas but each competition allowed her to compete only one SP and one LP, she actually donned heavy make-up and *also* appeared as a skater named "Olga Markova" during the 1994 and 1995 seasons.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    In the mountains, where hippies and hillbillies collide!
    Posts
    6,640
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintuple View Post
    She was actually singing live, while skating, for her exhibition performance at 1994 Worlds.

    Because she had so many artistic ideas but each competition allowed her to compete only one SP and one LP, she actually donned heavy make-up and *also* appeared as a skater named "Olga Markova" during the 1994 and 1995 seasons.
    These two!!!

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,414
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1618
    One of my skating encyclopedia books states that she was born in 1964! It was also way off on Sasha Fadeev's birth year, making him about 11 years old when he won Worlds!

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    52
    Posts
    10,256
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    10899
    Did they just switch the birthdates for Sasha and Surya?

  8. #8

    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    California,
    Posts
    1,256
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    556
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    Comments on another thread reminded me of some of the delightful stories (ie baldfaced lies) told by Didier Gailhaguet about Surya Bonaly starting in 1989 (born on Reunion, never cut her hair, only ate seeds and nuts etc etc etc).

    With that in mind I decided to start a thread compiling other lies told by him about Surya. In the true Gailhaguet spirit, these don't actually have to correspond with anything he ever said.

    nb, no hating! I'm a big Bonaly fan from way back so these are offered in affection

    I'll start off:

    She sleeps hangng upside down like a bat.

    She would never take a car to a competition and would hitchhike instead.

    Is both colorblind and synesthesic = so that orange sounds just like green to her.

    She once received a marriage proposal from Gerard Depardieu.

    She briefly ran a walnut orchard.

    She loved skating figures but unfortunately was not allowed to practice them by her religion.

    She could benchpress 350 pounds.
    Please, cite your written sources for the lies you attribuet to Didier. BTW are you Marie LeGougne in drag?
    Morry Stillwell

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,125
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Morry Stillwell View Post
    Please, cite your written sources for the lies you attribuet to Didier. BTW are you Marie LeGougne in drag?
    It's a conspiracy! I will not put up with these accusations and insinuations! Calumny!

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Reserving a parking spot for Mao.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    22,697
    vCash
    83943
    Rep Power
    42704
    Surya Bonaly is training for Sochi.

  11. #11
    Kostner Softie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,532
    vCash
    467077
    Rep Power
    1318
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    Surya Bonaly is training for Sochi.
    It's true

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    47
    Posts
    17,729
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16278
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintuple View Post
    That back flip at the 1998 Olympics was actually a double-layout, but the networks were told to edit it at once before the time-delayed broadcast to a single so people's heads wouldn't explode.
    You mean I missed that. I feel so robbed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Quintuple View Post
    She actually made her own first pair of skates, out of mountain goat dung and diamonds from her native land of Reunion.
    They must have been a pretty sh*tty pair of skates.

    Quote Originally Posted by Quintuple View Post
    Because she had so many artistic ideas but each competition allowed her to compete only one SP and one LP, she actually donned heavy make-up and *also* appeared as a skater named "Olga Markova" during the 1994 and 1995 seasons.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    114
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Taso View Post
    In another vein entirely, which things are true? I read this Sports Illustrated article about her earlier this week, from just before Worlds in 1995. Totally interesting and a very different picture of Surya and Suzanne Bonaly than normally portrayed.

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...93/1/index.htm
    thx for the archived article!

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,627
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    That article is a great read. I wish Hersh would like stories like that...

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    at FSU
    Posts
    3,923
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2790
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    Surya Bonaly is training for Sochi.
    Yes and she's perfected every jump take off on the correct edge, but she's also thrown a backflip in on every one of those jumps. Yes she has a 7 backflip program. She also finishes doing a spiral where she shoots streamers and confetti at the audience from her lady garden. That get's a 9 for pc's in my book any day.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.


  16. #16

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,898
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    5683
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post
    Yes and she's perfected every jump take off on the correct edge, but she's also thrown a backflip in on every one of those jumps. Yes she has a 7 backflip program. She also finishes doing a spiral where she shoots streamers and confetti at the audience from her lady garden. That get's a 9 for pc's in my book any day.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Reserving a parking spot for Mao.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    22,697
    vCash
    83943
    Rep Power
    42704
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post
    Yes and she's perfected every jump take off on the correct edge, but she's also thrown a backflip in on every one of those jumps.
    And so, we'll soon see the Bonaly toe loop, Bonaly salchow, Bonaly loop, etc., or else the Bonaloop, Bonaflip, Bonalutz, etc. etc...

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    Age
    31
    Posts
    20,633
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16342
    Her edges were so deep that they went back on a flat. Some weird fluke in the law of physics...
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Skateland
    Posts
    7,817
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Surya Bonaly is practising a new competitive routine to "East of Eden."
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    12,259
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Surya Bonaly is practising a new competitive routine to "East of Eden."
    And a LP to Lyra Angelica !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •