Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by neptune View Post
    ETA: I found this description of the weighting for the contest:

The personal interview counts for 25 percent of the contestant’s overall score, talent counts for 35 percent, lifestyle and fitness in swimsuit counts for 15 percent, evening wear counts for 20 percent and the onstage question counts for five percent.

http://www.aaavegas.com/events/miss-...abc/2010/12/06
    If talent counts for 35 percent, then they need to get judges who have some ability to assess talent. Seriously.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by neptune View Post
    Exactly. It's "talent lite," and Miss Nebraska did an excellent job of "selling herself" (as they tell you to do in job interviews). And since the rules (I assume) have seriously shortened the time allowed for each performance, how much talent can you honestly display in 1 minute and 30 seconds? The shortened format is great for those with little talent, and terrible for those with a lot. When they changed the weighting of the talent, they probably changed the time limit too. I think it used to be at least 3 minutes.
    Well, at least the skating judges should have been knowledgeable enough to catch things like that--as for the Miss America judges, the situation is more like:
    http://discretech.com/images/puzzled.png
    That sounds way too much like the skaters who insisted they wouldn't modify their approach to programs just because of COP -- and how well did that work for them? (How many times have certain skaters missed the podium because they didn't optimize their jump slots?)

Personally, I think the whole Miss America thing is way too 1950s, but if you're going to seriously compete, then you should probably figure out the judging. It shouldn't take a rocket scientist -- or Harvard grad -- to know that the kinds of judges Miss America attracts are way more likely to judge talent based on accessibility and connection with the audience than they are to accurately judge raw technical skill. (Though I did think Miss Arkansas' raw technical skill as a ventriloquist was pretty amazing.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Someone who specializes in hair coloring.
    Thanks for the info. Yes, if you're in a pageant, an expert like that could definitely come in handy.

vCash
    Saw a funny comment on Twitter...Miss Arkansas should get extra points for getting to the pageant in a car that's been on cement blocks for 5 years.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213