Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Chan takes great leap forward with double quads

http://www.thestar.com/sports/figure...h-double-quads
    Victoria is a tune-up for Tokyo and an opportunity to evaluate how the two-quad challenge responds under competitive duress. “There was pretty much no better time to try it than at nationals,” says Chan, who’s pleased and confident with the relative ease of the double quad inclusion. “It’s been really consistent. It doesn’t take a lot of mental effort.”
    Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Mate, if it isn't too much to ask, why don't you just concentrate on putting out a clean competition first before upping the difficulty.

Eh?
    vCash
    Good for Patrick. Looking forward to seeing him next week.

vCash
    Uh...doesn't he do quads becase he can't do a 3A?

I am so ready for multiple fall Chan to win Worlds and then get outta Dodge. The fall/quad rule will change, and hopefully we can move on...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post
    Uh...doesn't he do quads becase he can't do a 3A?

I am so ready for multiple fall Chan to win Worlds and then get outta Dodge. The fall/quad rule will change, and hopefully we can move on...
    Hate to disappoint you, but zero-fall Chan won the Grand Prix Final...he's no longer talking about getting out of Dodge. Your headcases/underdogs will be crying in the back row with you after Worlds...

vCash
    Hey Sugar! I found an article about Patrick adding the 2nd quad when looking for some hockey stuff only I'm about 30 minutes behind ya!

I think it's great that he's going to try it and might as well strike while you feel you can. Try it out at "home" and see how it goes given that he's likely going to be Canadian champ.

Staying clean - has any top male skater gone clean in both the short and free programs at one competition yet this season? I'm thinking there is but for the life of me, I can't recall (and I'm too lazy to go looking it up - just too weary, actually).

He wouldn't be the first skater who finds doing quads easier than triple axels.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    He's been saying his quad is better than his 3a. Not surprising that he would do two quads. I guess he still plans to do a 3a at the halfway point though. That's been tough for him. I wonder if he will do a quad double or quad triple for the combo quad.

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    I can't believe this news is being met with negativity Will nothing please you people?

Good for him! Doesn't take a genius to realize going from no quads 1 season to doing 3 is one hellova step forward technically. And testing this at nationals is a great strategy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    “It’s been really consistent. It doesn’t take a lot of mental effort.”
    Yeah, we'll see how consistent it is in competition...

vCash
    Patrick has the best edges in world, I have'nt seen a better quad. His triple axle can get him in trouble.
    If he skates lands the quads and misses the triple axle he is still un beatable. His speed and edges give him a huge advantage over the competition.
    If you have seen him live you will understand.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Some more articles

Beverley Smith
    A Canadian figure skating battle looms
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1871671/

Cam Cole
    Patrick Chan, from ‘if’ to ‘when’: stretching his quads in Victoria
    http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/P...655/story.html

Cleve Dheensaw
    Champion Patrick Chan will attempt back-to-back quad jumps in Victoria
    http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/...893/story.html

They're all trying to hype a big rivalry between Patrick and Kevin While I appreciate how much Kevin has improved he's not quite at Patrick's level yet.

vCash
    Looking forward to Patrick's quad attempts. The ones he's hit so far this season have been gorgeous.

vCash
    Patrick has had a very impressive success rate with the quad this season, especially since he has just introduced it to competition. If he is more consistent on the quad than the 3A, it makes sense to do two of the former and one of the latter, rather than vice versa.

vCash
    Putting my dislike for Chan as a person aside his quad is a thing of beauty and I am not surprised he is going for two of them as opposed to two triple axels. Will be interested to see how it goes under competition stress.

When I saw the headline for a second I interpreted it as a quad-quad combo and thought that would be insane!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alij View Post
    Putting my dislike for Chan as a person aside his quad is a thing of beauty and I am not surprised he is going for two of them as opposed to two triple axels. Will be interested to see how it goes under competition stress.

When I saw the headline for a second I interpreted it as a quad-quad combo and thought that would be insane!
    I thought the same thing for a brief moment. It seems natural for him to do what most comes naturally to him. He's not the only skater who has had problems with the 3A. Many fine elite skaters have also had the same problem, and I hope he can do it.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    Staying clean - has any top male skater gone clean in both the short and free programs at one competition yet this season? I'm thinking there is but for the life of me, I can't recall (and I'm too lazy to go looking it up - just too weary, actually).

He wouldn't be the first skater who finds doing quads easier than triple axels.
    I think Kozuka skated two clean programs in GPs both in China and Paris.
    He didn't won the event, however, Florent Amodio skated two cleanest programs in Eric Bompad, too.

And I was kind of disappointed when Stephan didn't include 3A in his program even though I love his performance a lot. So as Patrick.

vCash
    The IceNetwork story about this is about both Chan and Reynolds doing quads and would seem to indicate Chan has great respect for Reynolds abilities. though - the article says Kevin did 3 quads in the Short program at Skate Canada.

vCash
    Even with 2 quads in his LP, Patrick will have hard time winning Worlds in Tokyo since Takahashi is going to do 2 quadriple flips and double the amount of gel applied to his hair.

vCash
    I think this is a smart move. The quads do seem to come to him much more easily than the 3A. It would be exciting if he could do it, there will be relatively little pressure at Canadians, I wish him the best

vCash
    Patrick is a talented young man. He' will be unstoppable with 2 quads...I can totally see him on the top at the World Championships podium this time.
    Last edited by Brian; 01-16-2011 at 04:46 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast