Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    I think right now the plan for Pang & Tong is to go to Sochi. That is what I have heard from any interview or any report on them. Even if they lose ground to the Germans and Russians I dont see them retiring before then unless they are displaced by either the Zhangs or Sui & Han as Chinese #1.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I think right now the plan for Pang & Tong is to go to Sochi. That is what I have heard from any interview or any report on them. Even if they lose ground to the Germans and Russians I dont see them retiring before then unless they are displaced by either the Zhangs or Sui & Han as Chinese #1.
    I think they have said that they want to compete until 2014. But this would satisfy the Chinese Fed's need for a top pair until either Sui / Han fully develop and / or Zhangs recover anyway.

vCash
    I am very curious to see how the Zhangs are received upon their return, and if they can make a move to be Chinese #1 or #2 again next season or whether they suddenly become the middle stepchildren odd ones out that Pang & Tong were often, and relegated to #3 Chinese pair status. If it is the latter I hope they have the same determination and never say die approach that Pang & Tong had if they have a hope of regaining past glory. Last season gave an indication to them what it is like to be the #3 team on a strong country.

It could go a # of ways. If Pang & Tong continue to struggle with their jumps and come only 3rd or 4th at Worlds this season (which could even happen with a good competition looking at the other pairs this year if V&T skate well at Worlds) and Sui & Han dont progress quickly enough or arent able to survive her growth spurt, then the Chinese fed. could look eagerly to give the Zhangs another shot at being Chinese #1. If P&T fare better at Worlds and Sui & Han continue to go smoothly then they might become an afterthought even at home.

vCash
    If Sui / Han and the Zhangs emerge next season as a world medal threat and are getting high PCS (deserved or not) and securing 3 Chinese pair spots on their own, Pang / Tong will have no more reason to stay but money.

With Volozoshar / Trankov, and the other up and coming Russians, and the Germans, Pang / Tong already have a hard time staying on top or on the podium. Her solo jumps are getting away from her. They really need to do what Shen / Zhao did and exit the scene while on top, that way they can still earn some show money and preserve their legacy.

vCash
    Lets keep in mind that if Zhangs dont recover soon enough this season, China will surely lose the 3rd spot at Worlds. Im not counting on either of Zhang/Wang or Dong/Wu to even make top 12 (in the best scenario Pang&Tong win the title) to secure that. So next season could be a real battle between Zhangs and Sui&Han for the 2nd spot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiK View Post
    Lets keep in mind that if Zhangs dont recover soon enough this season, China will surely lose the 3rd spot at Worlds. Im not counting on either of Zhang/Wang or Dong/Wu to even make top 12 (in the best scenario Pang&Tong win the title) to secure that. So next season could be a real battle between Zhangs and Sui&Han for the 2nd spot.
    Which is why Pang & Tong should go to Worlds alone, and hope to retain all 3 spots by placing top 3.

vCash
    So if Pang & Tong went alone they would only need atleast a bronze to secure 3 spots for next season? If so, that is probably the better plan.

As SamuraiK said otherwise Sui & Han and the Zhangs would be battling for only 1 remaining spot for next years Worlds, unless Pang & Tong unexpectedly retire.

I guess it wouldnt be impossible for Dong & Wu or Zhang & Wang to finish top 10 or so, but it would probably be a stretch.

vCash
    Pang/Tong said at the Grand Prix final that they won't compete next season and that they want to come back the season after that. Not sure if their plans changed though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by la.louise View Post
    Pang/Tong said at the Grand Prix final that they won't compete next season and that they want to come back the season after that. Not sure if their plans changed though.
    Wow. That I didn't know. It makes sense though because they are older and probably need to give themselves a break so as not to burn out and remain injury free

vCash
    Pang & Tong taking next season off is a great chance for the Zhangs to reestablish themselves as Chinese #1. My personal opinion is if Pang & Tong take next season off they will never be back but we will see. I am not sure if we will see any Chinese pairs on the Sochi podium though with the Germans and Russians.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post

My personal opinion is if Pang & Tong take next season off they will never be back.
    I'm afraid you're right about that.

vCash
    After watching Europeans I dont think Pang & Tong will even be on the podium at Worlds if Volosozhar & Trankov also skate. The Germans and top 2 Russian pairs are skating at a level far beyond anything they have shown this season. And if that is the result it will be interesting to see if they continue at this point. As I said I think if they take a season off they wont be back.

There are questions too of course about the Zhangs returning to the top level if they do come back, and whether or not Sui & Han will improve enough and whether any growth spurt by her well enough to make it into the top few in the World. So whether the Chinese pairs even figure much this quad at the top with how strong the Germans and many of Russian pairs (including the up and comers who will just get better) are looking will be interesting to see.

vCash
    Agree on P/T's weak chances to medal at major events. Their big tricks do not quite impress anymore (compared to V/T and S/S), an they have nothing to offer besides that.
    Probably it even makes no sense for them to get back for Sochi, since they don't have that S/Z hype around them, and there will be far more outstanding pairs competing for gold.
    I'd like to see both P/T and Z/Z skate, since I got used to them for so many years But where are the young Chinese pairs? Only S/H? Why do they keep on relying on the same old horses for decades, having such a population depth?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pumba View Post
    I'd like to see both P/T and Z/Z skate, since I got used to them for so many years But where are the young Chinese pairs? Only S/H? Why do they keep on relying on the same old horses for decades, having such a population depth?
    What about Yu xiaoyu/Jin yang?

I dont have videos about the nation championships.
    some young paris have good performance

S/H(succeed their throw 4s)
    Yu xiaoyu/Jin yang
    Li meiyi/Jiangbo
    Chen xiaoxue/Songwenbo
    Fan xinxin/Liu xinze
    (But nearly all of them are too young to do seniors)
    。。。。。。。。。。

Zhang yue/Wang lei(17/22)
    Donghuibo/Wuyiming(21/23)
    Cheng duo/Gaoyu(retired)
    have many chance these years ,but they didnt perfect well
    SZ/ZZ/PT did well these years ,so some younger pairs cant get enough chance on international competition。
    They just need time and chance
    Maybe we should wait for several years ,PT/ZZ ...retied and YJ/LJ/CS/FL grow up......

and I hope i use the right grammers and words in English.

vCash
    This is what I'm saying. It's not like China does not have young couples. They simply are not given an opportunity to develop, since the Fed. preferred to push up the 3 established pairs. Its probably a smart strategy to keep a pair for a decade, adding to its reputation, etc..
    Just compare how many names we've seen from Russia say at Worlds since 1999 - when the first 4CC was held (B/S, P/T, T/M, O/S, M/T, K/S, B/L, well Borzenkova/Chuviliaev...I'm sure I forgot a couple), from Canada, or the US, - and still the same 3 from China.

Well, I'm actually not complaining, this is just an observation

++ BTW, I remember I watched the 2003 JWorlds on TV and really liked the Ding/Ren team. That time I thought they were to have a bright future. Pity they retired early.
    Last edited by pumba; 01-28-2011 at 06:20 PM.

vCash
    This is what I'm saying. It's not like China does not have young couples. They simply are not given an opportunity to develop, since the Fed. preferred to push up the 3 established pairs. Its probably a smart strategy to keep a pair for a decade, adding to its reputation, etc..
    Just compare how many names we've seen from Russia say at Worlds since 1999 - when the first 4CC was held (B/S, P/T, T/M, O/S, M/T, K/S, B/L, well Borzenkova/Chuviliaev...I'm sure I forgot a couple), from Canada, or the US, - and still the same 3 from China.

Well, I'm actually not complaining, this is just an observation
    WELL, I SAID they give the chance to zhangyue/wanglei,donghuibo/wuyiming chengduo/gaoyu,dingyang/renchongfei(they ever throw 4 t?4s?),yangfang/gaochongbo......................... many others

BUT they cant surpass the three paris.
    you know ,CHina first have paris on international competition is 1980s,YAOBIN/LUANBO(S/H‘ coach)。Ten years ago ,SZ got the first gold medal.
    Chinese still need a long time and has a long way to grow
    Last edited by 93ning; 01-28-2011 at 06:37 PM.

vCash
    and really liked the Ding/Ren team. That time I thought they were to have a bright future. Pity they retired early.
    REN got injured.
    He act as a skater in a movie last year.
    Ding become a coach in Beijing

vCash
    I am absolutely agree that each country surely needs time to get its athlets on top. And it took years for the USSR to establish its pairs skating, then Ice Dance tradition.
    But your comment that the three pairs can not be surpassed.. well I'm not touching S/Z (this may cause a fight for sure), but both P/T and Z/Z have always been pretty surpassable. I don't believe they are the best of the best China was able to produce. And just look at Can or US nats - there are no sacred cows if we talk of places 2-3. They may not be the best in the World, but we see new (relatively) names skating at Worlds almost every year. So probably this is not only a question of superiority of certain pairs, but also a will of the federation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 93ning View Post
    REN got injured.
    He act as a skater in a movie last year.
    Ding become a coach in Beijing
    This is cool!

vCash
    I am absolutely agree that each country surely needs time to get its athlets on top. And it took years for the USSR to establish its pairs skating, then Ice Dance tradition.
    But your comment that the three pairs can not be surpassed.. well I'm not touching S/Z (this may cause a fight for sure), but both P/T and Z/Z have always been pretty surpassable. I don't believe they are the best of the best China was able to produce. And just look at Can or US nats - there are no sacred cows if we talk of places 2-3. They may not be the best in the World, but we see new (relatively) names skating at Worlds almost every year. So probably this is not only a question of superiority of certain pairs, but also a will of the federation.
    well,pt /zz /sz is not sacred cows .
    my mearning is 2000_2010,at least 8 paris except the three in international competetion , They have chance(.especially donghuibo/wuyiming),but they didnt do well.
    My english isnt good,sometimes some words are inaccuracy......so........

whatever, we still can expect YU XIAOYU/JIN YANG,WANG WENTING/ZHANGYAN ,Chenxiaoxue/SONGwenbo......

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast