Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    You do know these events happened 4 yrs apart? The Zhang got the silver in 2006, & P/T won Worlds in 2010. Your sentence makes it sound like it happened 2 months apart.
    I was referring to the 2006 Worlds where P/T upset the Zhangs for the gold medal at Worlds soon after the 2006 Olympics. I was surprised at the result at both events at the exact time (2006 Olympics with Zhangs overtaking P/T as last skaters after their skate, and 2006 Worlds with P/T overtaking Zhangs as last skaters after their skate).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    The Chinese were last decade. This one belongs to the Russians.
    Where do the Germans fit into that or are they just the bridge that comes and goes between dominant teams who always overhaul them around Olympics time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Where do the Germans fit into that or are they just the bridge that comes and goes between dominant teams who always overhaul them around Olympics time.
    The Germans (and the Chinese) have been the "commercials" of figure skating. Breaks until we get back to regular scheduled programming (the Russians).

Searching for Sergei Verbillo's lost stache
    vCash

It would be quite nice to see a truly classical Russian pair take hold of pairs again, and even better if Moskvina choreographed for them
    Last edited by Fallcolor; 01-15-2011 at 06:21 AM.

vCash
    I have never been enamored of any of the Chinese pairs. Sure the tricks are big, but skating skills and spins are pretty ordinary to say the least. Although they manage to be top teams, it's usually fridge/ciggy break time for me. I like the Germans and the Russian teams, and of course cheer on dutifully the Canadian teams.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by loopey View Post
    The Germans (and the Chinese) have been the "commercials" of figure skating. Breaks until we get back to regular scheduled programming (the Russians).
    crs, is that you ?

vCash
    I was never their fan or even close to it. The only time I thought they had potential was at the 2002 Olympics. They never really developed into a top pair, IMO. It won't break my heart if they never win the world championship. There are many skaters who were good enough to win the world title but did not. I don't feel the Zhangs were ever good enough to win the world title, though in 2006 they may have had their best opportunity (Pang & Tong won).

vCash
    Any updates on them? Will they even be back this season.

vCash
    Haven't heard a thing.

vCash
    ^Weird. Has anyone checked the 4CC entries for clues? I looked the other day and didn't see anything...

I wonder if we will see a Chen Lu a la '94 Worlds situation where the Chinese Fed needs Z/Z to compete at Worlds in order to secure 3 spots for 2012 and kind of forces them into it even while still injured.

vCash
    Didn't he just have a broken finger? And that was several months ago. Maybe it was worse than expected, but I think it's more likely that he's recovered now and they've just been very quiet about their return to serious training/competition. It's not like we would have seen them at Chinese Nationals, if there even was one. The top names don't seem to compete there... it's strange. I imagine the Zhangs will resurface at 4CC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by loopey View Post
    I was merely going to say that to me the Zhangs represent everything gone wrong in pair skating over the last 5 years. Sloppy, no toe pointing, bad lines, bad posture, skating over the music, and uninspired choreography.

And I for one am immensely grateful for this.

ITA. The high marks given to them just because they had high flying tricks lowered the overall quality of pairs skating in general. I like the Russian pairs style where attention to detail is important, in addition to completing the throws, lifts, jumps, etc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    ^Weird. Has anyone checked the 4CC entries for clues? I looked the other day and didn't see anything...

I wonder if we will see a Chen Lu a la '94 Worlds situation where the Chinese Fed needs Z/Z to compete at Worlds in order to secure 3 spots for 2012 and kind of forces them into it even while still injured.
    The Zhangs are not on the final entry list for Winter Asian Games which is to be held this weekend. Supposedly there are still injured / recovering? Pang & Tong and Sui & Han will compete at the Winter Asian Games.

If Sui & Han are old enough for senior Worlds, Pang & Tong and Sui & Han together should be enough for China to retain three spots. If Sui & Han are not old enough, China is better off just sending Pang & Tong to Worlds. Pang & Tong have a better chance at being top 3 (or 2?) than the second Chinese non-Zhangs non-Sui & Han pair team placing top 10.

vCash
    Just read something Yao Bin said on Jan 14:

Yao Bin said the finger is recoverING, but is still bent and swollen. The bones are healed but the shape and strength are not back yet. They haven't been practising pair elements.

It didn't mention whether they will compete at 4CCs or Worlds. But given the description, I think 4CCs is out of the question. Worlds, probably...

EDITED: just read another quote from Yao Bin that said they will be absent from Worlds too, so I guess 4CCs is also out of the question.
    Last edited by Marco; 01-24-2011 at 07:18 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Just read something Yao Bin said on Jan 14:

Yao Bin said the finger is recoverING, but is still bent and swollen. The bones are healed but the shape and strength are not back yet. They haven't been practising pair elements.

It didn't mention whether they will compete at 4CCs or Worlds. But given the description, I think 4CCs is out of the question. Worlds, probably...

EDITED: just read another quote from Yao Bin that said they will be absent from Worlds too, so I guess 4CCs is also out of the question.
    Wow. Thanks, Marco. You've answered one of the biggest questions of the '10 - '11 season. Bold mine.

I feel bad for them as a pair. Even if I'm not a fan, I noticed that they attempted to better the PCS side of their skating starting around '08 - '09 season, yet seem to run into obstacles on their way to the top.

Also, from several posters in other threads, Sui/Han are NOT old enough for Worlds this year. Will be interesting to see how the Chinese Fed handles entries to Worlds

vCash
    That is a shame since I was looking forward to seeing their new programs this season. I wonder if next season (if they return) they will use those same ones they never got to skate this season or new ones. Wow do they have a long road to winning Worlds now though. Savchenko & Szolkowy, Pang & Tong, and Kavaguti & Smirnov, are all firmly entrenched ahead of them even before this season, and they missed the chance to make any comeback on those pairs, particularly the latter two who have been injured and struggled, this season. Volosozhar & Morozov will probably medal at Worlds if they skate well and will also be firmly ahead of the Zhangs in the judges eyes going into next season in that case. And Sui & Han will be age eligible for Worlds next year, while Dube & Davison will also be returning and Barazova & Larionov improving too. They are going to have to skate a blinder if they are to win a Worlds in the future.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    That is a shame since I was looking forward to seeing their new programs this season. I wonder if next season (if they return) they will use those same ones they never got to skate this season or new ones. Wow do they have a long road to winning Worlds now though. Savchenko & Szolkowy, Pang & Tong, and Kavaguti & Smirnov, are all firmly entrenched ahead of them even before this season, and they missed the chance to make any comeback on those pairs, particularly the latter two who have been injured and struggled, this season. Volosozhar & Morozov will probably medal at Worlds if they skate well and will also be firmly ahead of the Zhangs in the judges eyes going into next season in that case. And Sui & Han will be age eligible for Worlds next year, while Dube & Davison will also be returning and Barazova & Larionov improving too. They are going to have to skate a blinder if they are to win a Worlds in the future.
    I think you mean Volosozhar / Trankov

But, I wonder how much longer Pang / Tong can hold onto a top spot. Haven't they been skating since like 2000 Worlds? Age and distraction catch up with you when you've been around for a long time

It will be also interesting to watch 'the changing of the guard' in Chinese Pairs in the forthcoming years as P/T will retire eventually. And it remains to be seen how Z/Z, who have also been around for quite a while, will be received upon any return to competition, now that there will be 3 strong Russian Pairs on their way to compete in Sochi 2014, as well as others you've mentioned. Then, they will probably have to deal with an emerging age-eligible Sui / Han internally.

Searching for Sergei Verbillo's lost stache
    vCash
    Are Dube/Davison also out of Worlds, too?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallcolor View Post
    Are Dube/Davison also out of Worlds, too?
    They are out for the entire season. Bryce is injured and Jessica competed in singles at nationals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    But, I wonder how much longer Pang / Tong can hold onto a top spot. Haven't they been skating since like 2000 Worlds?
    P/T had quite a resurgence last season (Olympic silver, World gold) I think if they can keep it up another couple of years, they will stick it out until Sochi. S/H are nowhere near their level, maybe by 2014 but not now and if she grows just a couple of inches...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast