Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

2013 GP Final is hosted in Japan just before Sochi Olympics

This is an article in “Sports Nippon” in Japan.
    Translated from Japanese.
    2013 GP Final will be hosted by Japan just before Sochi Olympics.
    January 14th, 2011 JST

As for 2013 GP Final, it was decided that it is hosted by Japan in December, 2013 in the season of 2014 Sochi Olympics.

In the board of directors in Japan Skating Federation in January 13th, it was reported that it was approved in International Skating Union. The schedule is in December 5th-8th, 2013 and the place for the event is not yet fixed. The hosting in Japan as for the said event is ever since December, 2009 in Tokyo. The venue of this event in 2011 is undecided. As for 2012, Sochi in Russia is regarded as the most likely prospective venue.

The article:
    2013 GP Final will be hosted by Japan just before Sochi Olympics.
    http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/new...000043030.html

As for GP Final, it also was hosted by Japan just before 2006 Turin Olympics and 2010 Vancouver Olympics.
    Last edited by Akira Andrea; 01-14-2011 at 05:01 AM.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Wouldn't it be easier to just announce when major skating events ARENT being held in Japan? I know that is where the crowds and competing TV rights are but come on, this is getting to be a bit much.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    The cash that the ISU is getting from the JSF must be tremendous, and it seems like Japan is hosting every pre-Olympics GPF (2013, 2009, 2005). I agree with BigBO8822, it's too much. I would strongly prefer to see the combined Senior/Junior Grand Prix Final in the U.S., Canada, and Europe. How about Great Britain and Germany, among the countries who don't host the Senior GP every year?

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    I don't see the problem with Japan hosting major events as many times as they want. Sure, I'd rather Canada (and other countries) host some of these more often, but if Japan is willing to organize such high caliber events so often to such great results, Go ahead! If other countries can't compete with how popular the sport is in Japan right now, too bad.

And this thing goes in cycles. Soon enough skating-mania will cool down in Japan and some other country with emerging stars will pick it up (Russia anyone? )

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by a56 View Post
    How about Great Britain and Germany, among the countries who don't host the Senior GP every year?
    As someone living in the UK, I would love this!

vCash
    Well, I for one think it's great. I love seeing the full arenas and the support all skater get there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Wouldn't it be easier to just announce when major skating events ARENT being held in Japan? I know that is where the crowds and competing TV rights are but come on, this is getting to be a bit much.
    ITA. I'm not sure the non-Asian skaters will be too thrilled with this, and wouldn't be the least surprised if some of the top skaters withdraw from one or more GP events ensuring they won't be in the final. It's not as if there's a high correlation between GPF champions and Olympic champions.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    It's not as if there's a high correlation between GPF champions and Olympic champions.
    2009 GPF Champions: Evan Lysacek, Yu-na Kim, Xue Shen & Hongbo Zhao, Meryl Davis & Charlie White.

2010 Olympic Champions: Evan Lysacek, Yu-na Kim, Xue Shen & Hongbo Zhao, Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir.

3/4 seems pretty high to me.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    2009 GPF Champions: Evan Lysacek, Yu-na Kim, Xue Shen & Hongbo Zhao, Meryl Davis & Charlie White.

2010 Olympic Champions: Evan Lysacek, Yu-na Kim, Xue Shen & Hongbo Zhao, Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir.

3/4 seems pretty high to me.
    Include the previous two Olympics/prior GPFs

2006 Olympics: Plushenko, Arakawa, Totmianina/Marinin, Navka/Kostomarov
    2005 GPF: Lambiel, Asada, Totmianina/Marinin, Navka/Kostomarov

2002 Olympics: Yagudin, Hughes, Berezhnaya / Sikharulidze, Anissina / Peizerat
    2001 GPF: Yagudin, Slutskaya, Sale / Pelletier, Bourne / Kraatz

The correlation drops to 50%

vCash
    Well, S/P are recognized as Olympic champions, so not quite. In any case, aside from skaters who didn't qualify T(Arakawa, Asada) or were injured (Plushenko, DomShabs, Cohen) many Olympic medalists did medal at the GPF: Lambiel, Buttle, Plushenko and Kwan iin 2002, V/M, Slutskaya both times, Anissina/Peizarat, Grushina/Goncharov, and the list goes on.

It's not a direct correlation (what is? Ice is slippery), but more often than not, the skaters who medal at the GPF go on to medal at the Olympics. And given that the last 2 pre Olympic GPFs have been held in Japan with many top names there, I can't see why 2013 would be different.

vCash
    OMG, why are the GP Finals ALWAYS in Asia lately?! I mean, yeah, I get it's a money thing, but come on, there are Europeans and North Americans who wouldn't mind having a chance to attend this event once in a while too!

If it continues this way, even European Championships will be held in Asia soon...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-FAN View Post
    I don't see the problem with Japan hosting major events as many times as they want. Sure, I'd rather Canada (and other countries) host some of these more often, but if Japan is willing to organize such high caliber events so often to such great results, Go ahead! If other countries can't compete with how popular the sport is in Japan right now, too bad.

And this thing goes in cycles. Soon enough skating-mania will cool down in Japan and some other country with emerging stars will pick it up (Russia anyone? )
    I agree 100%, some countries have trouble filling the seats, if Japan can do it, let them have it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    If it continues this way, even European Championships will be held in Asia soon...
    Magadan! Vladivostok! Khabarovsk! Birobidzhan!

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post

They'd probably be better attended.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    They'd probably be better attended.
    And I'm sure the skaters would enjoy the trip.

In the mountains, where hippies and hillbillies collide!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Squibble View Post
    Magadan! Vladivostok! Khabarovsk! Birobidzhan!
    I'd totally make a Gulag themed program for the Magadan Euros!

vCash
    shouldnt something be hosted in Sochi before Olys, like with the other venues in the past?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by senorita View Post
    shouldnt something be hosted in Sochi before Olys, like with the other venues in the past?
    The 2012 Grand Prix Final will be in Sochi.

vCash
    If you all understand that it's a financial issue, then what are your practical solutions? The money to run this sport has to come from somewhere, and there's no guarantee that skating will boom in another market sufficiently to fill the void if and when it cools down in Japan.

A smart skater would take any opportunities they had to build a fan-base in Japan right now. As for skipping GP events in the Olympic year, I hope at least none of the ice dancers are stupid enough to do that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by a56 View Post
    The cash that the ISU is getting from the JSF must be tremendous, and it seems like Japan is hosting every pre-Olympics GPF (2013, 2009, 2005). I agree with BigBO8822, it's too much. I would strongly prefer to see the combined Senior/Junior Grand Prix Final in the U.S., Canada, and Europe. How about Great Britain and Germany, among the countries who don't host the Senior GP every year?

It may be because hosting in Japan is most profitable for the ISU? It's always packed crowd there unlike in the US or Europe, so it makes sense to me. Plus I am pretty sure Japanese tv stations(not JSF) are paying more for the tv rights than any other countries.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast