Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    One more compelling Kwan EOE from 01 World's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHEf2...9A2F7&index=17

I think it's very brave of Rachael to take on this music. AFAIK, no other skater has used it, except Michelle, which is what's going to open up Rachael to the comparisons and criticisms. With Shez, lots of skaters--men, women, pairs, dancers--have used it (with a couple of stellar performances), but still it's not associated with only one skater.

Rachael's team must have discussed the implication of using a piece of music so associated with Michelle and decided it wasn't an issue or a distraction. We'll see.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I can't believe I am saying this but Kwan's EOE made me feel nostalgia for the lyrical, flowing style I don't see much these days.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Kwan's EOE is one of my favorite programs ever. It just fit her perfectly. I'm willing to give Rachael the benefit of the doubt, she may surprise me but I am skeptical. I hope she can pull it off though. I agree with the poster though who said that they don't blame Rachael for wanting to skate to it, I think it's an absolute beautiful piece of music.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    Certainly not with EVERYONE. My mother won't draw a comparison, but, then again, she died in 1994.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    I think it's very brave of Rachael to take on this music. AFAIK, no other skater has used it, except Michelle, which is what's going to open up Rachael to the comparisons and criticisms.
    Maybe other skaters have not used the music, as it is not inspiring or expressive music? To me it feels like there is just some piece music playing in the background. In that sense I´d suppose that Flatt has every possibility to skate faultlessly to the music using some speed, the way Kwan also did.

vCash
    I don't think this music is sacred. I used to think no one could skate to Prelude to Afternoon of a Faun...Janet Lynn & John Curry did it so beautifully. But this year Carolina Kostner, whose skating I don't really like, did a wonderful job with it and I did not think of Lynn or Curry while she was skating. So Rachael could surprise us. I'm just not holding my breath.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I can't believe I am saying this but Kwan's EOE made me feel nostalgia for the lyrical, flowing style I don't see much these days.
    OMG! I can't believe this. Just watched Michelle's skate to EOE at 2001 Worlds. I think, after all these years, I am a fan. That was breath taking.

Do you think we could talk her out of retirement.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    I don't think this music is sacred. I used to think no one could skate to Prelude to Afternoon of a Faun...Janet Lynn & John Curry did it so beautifully. But this year Carolina Kostner, whose skating I don't really like, did a wonderful job with it and I did not think of Lynn or Curry while she was skating. So Rachael could surprise us. I'm just not holding my breath.
    I think so, too. I think she'll do her own take on it, and who knows if the cuts and editing will be similar to Kwan's.

Quote Originally Posted by genevieve
    I always thought that was Michelle chafing under the Carroll/Nichol reins and wanting to strike out on her own, since Kawahara "choreographed" it (I think MK's Schez is a steaming pile of crap, and I'm a Kwan uber).
    IIRC, The Schez music was picked by Frank a year before the Olys, and Kwan decided to go with Kawahara after the music was edited. There was so much controversy about Kwan "dumping" Lori before the Olys...and then a few months later, she parted with Frank.

vCash
    I'm just curious, because I was mostly lurking at the time, but did anyone care when Elena Glebova skated to East of Eden?

I don't care that Rachael's using EOE because MK used it, I am just not convinced that it's a good music choice for Flatt.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Is Lori still choreographing for Mao? Mao should have used this music, if anyone. Even then, I think it would be a mistake.

vCash
    Well, apparently Drew has seen the program.
    http://twitter.com/#!/SarahandDrew/s...64054202359809
    "It's fantastic, by the way! "

I think if Drew felt otherwise, he wouldn't have made the above comment.
    Has anyone else seen Flatt since returning from working with Nichol?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I love that program. However, the program that really owned Scheherezade to me is Blumberg and Seibert's 1984 Free Dance. No other program has even come close to that one for me where that music is concerned.
    Yes! John Curry is my favorite skater ever, but B&S's Scheherazade was even better, IMO.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    I agree with those who said that using this music will invite unflattering comparisons to Kwan, but really, it's bound to better than her old short program, and it all comes down to how she skates at Nats.

If she's solid on the elements, she'll still be in the running in the free. I hope she's fully recovered from her injuries.

vCash
    I'm just curious, because I was mostly lurking at the time, but did anyone care when Elena Glebova skated to East of Eden?
    I think there were more comments about her hair (and dress) color than her SP music last season. Of course Glebova was not Rachael.

vCash
    PML ! For sure, I'll be happy to hear it again, but EOE is so Michelle !

Anyway, didn't Elena Glebova skate to EOE last season ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    PML ! For sure, I'll be happy to hear it again, but EOE is so Michelle !

Anyway, didn't Elena Glebova skate to EOE last season ?
    Yep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    One more compelling Kwan EOE from 01 World's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHEf2...9A2F7&index=17
    Man, was she fast during that spiral sequence!

I'm also not expecting too much from Rachael with this program. A skater can skater to whatever music, even it's considered a signature piece of another skater. I just don't think it fits her.
    Smoke a ciggy and have some fun!!!

vCash

I don't care that Rachael's using EOE because MK used it, I am just not convinced that it's a good music choice for Flatt.
    I don't think Ms. Glebova skated to EOE at US Nats ... which is an event at higher risk for Kwamparisons than any international event (IMO). All kidding aside, I hope it works out for Rachael.

vCash
    Until Rachael fixes her back/posture, I will have a hard time loving any of her programs. That being said, however, I have liked a few of Rachael's programs over the years and have always been a fan of Rachael's and cheered her on ... hoping she would find her style along the way. If this music marks the beginning of that discovery, I am all for it. I will always associate EOE with Michelle Kwan. It's inevitable. But I would never want to close the door on a beautiful piece of music just because of an association with a particular skater.

As others have pointed out, it's great that Rachael's team recognized the need for a new SP. That, in and of itself, is a great step forward.

O-

I used to live in Adam's curls, but he cut them - so now I'm homeless. =o(
    vCash
    No no no no, 'East of Eden' is considered by most, if not all, to be Michelle's theme and I'm sure Rachael knows that. It's not a big deal, but personally I would never skate to it out of respect for the Kween. It just shouldn't be touched.
    However, I *will* be interesting to see if she can pull it off.

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast