Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 504
  1. #41

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    953
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1550
    i love the 1996 exhibition version of michelle's eoe the best...when she was first announced as world champion and skated..magic.

  2. #42
    podcast mistress
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    Posts
    7,823
    vCash
    2367
    Rep Power
    4368
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    I think Frank Carroll forced Shez on Michelle.
    Frank Carroll used it with Fratianne, Kwan, and Lysacek. Anyone else I missed?

    I think it would fit Czisny beautifully, but I have a hard time seeing Flatt doing it justice. We shall see.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

  3. #43

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,084
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I, for one, am thankful not to see a cutesy-perky SP from Rachael.

  4. #44
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Where banjos play.
    Age
    35
    Posts
    8,070
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I like most of the EoE performances Michelle did...but the 1998 Pro is my favorite http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS3Fn...29A2F7&index=9 I think it should be what coaches show their student when they want to show how to really get into the ice and use your edges.

  5. #45
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    30,123
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34026
    I agree that the good news is that Rachael would have to rely on something other than cutesy posing.

    The bad news...what DOES she have to rely on to pull off this program?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  6. #46
    Vacant
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Here and there
    Age
    40
    Posts
    8,765
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    9172
    Quote Originally Posted by DuckLikesSkate View Post
    Kwan's East of Eden is one of her best SP, IMO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb51K3GcGCE

    Flatt will be compared to that (and will come up way short), but the bigger issue is that the music doesn't suit Flatt at all. Like I said earlier, this is a huge mistake.
    I don't blame Rachael for wanting to skate to this - if indeed she did actually choose it which I somehow doubt - so I'm surprised at Nichol for suggesting it. I agree also that no one 'owns' music but as you say the comparisons are inevitable and it's not as if Michelle only skated to this a few times. It was almost thematic throughout her career. It was the opening of her 93-94 LP, the first incarnation of an exhibition in 95-96, then her iconic exhibition of 98-99 followed by her 00-01 SP. I have to say I prefer her '98 exhibition to the SP but this Nationals performance was so musically perfect; she was so 'on' the music that for me this is one of her best ever SP's and anyone, no matter what their skating and performance skills, would struggle to match it. I love that beautiful triple lutz also.

    From a choreographic point of view, to me this music needs flow, deep edges, lots of MITF, clean lines, extension and emotion - none of which are Rachael's strengths per se, but qualities Michelle had in spades. Rachael displayed some of these qualities a few years ago in her beautiful Moulin Rouge exhibition with that gorgeous big Ina Bauer but will the CoP requirements for a SP allow her the expanse of movement necessary to do this music justice? I look forward to seeing what she comes up with.

  7. #47
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    563
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldsk8ter View Post
    I find it sad that many of you are trashing her new sp without having seen it. Music doesn't belong to one skater. There have been instances of iconic music being reused years later and the skaters having great sucess. Wait until you see Rachael's program before you decide she has or hasn't made a mistake.
    I agree it'd be better to wait and see, and I'd love to be pleasantly surprised, but based on what we've seen from Rachael's skating it's hard to imagine that it's a good fit for her. On the other hand, this music fit Michelle so well it was almost like it was written for her, so that's where the potential for unfavorable comparisons comes in. I definitely don't think music belongs to any one skater and what Michelle did with EOE isn't untouchable, but if you're going to take on a piece of music that's so strongly associated with a particular skater it should at least be a good match for your skating style. For example, if, say, Yu-Na Kim announced she was using EOE, I'd think it was a good/interesting idea and would look forward to seeing what she could do with it. It could probably be a nice program for many lower-level skaters too, if they have good flow and can pull off lyrical. So from what I've seen of Rachael's skating I'm a little skeptical right now, but who knows, maybe the music will bring out something different in her skating.

  8. #48
    Fetalized since 1998
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Waving my Adam banner
    Posts
    2,593
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34624
    Quote Originally Posted by marbri View Post
    This may shock some but I had to google Kwans EoE to see what she did to it to make it untouchable. So in Rachael's favour it won't draw comparisons with everyone.
    Certainly not with EVERYONE. My mother won't draw a comparison, but, then again, she died in 1994.

    Wishing Rachael well.

  9. #49
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,710
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Bad news: Gee, how "original" (not).

    Good news: I don't think that she'll have an opportunity to fan herself -- or make other cutesy moves -- with this.
    Man those cutesy moves just make me cringe for some reason when she does them.

  10. #50
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    268
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Rachel is a tremendously gifted skater. She has a brilliant mind, and seems to be a diligent worker. Until this season, she has been a dependable, consistent jumper. Injury aside, there are a couple of things that affect her negatively, which she might not be able to fully overcome. For instance, she appears slow, somewhat lethargic, even though she can fairly scoot across the ice. I think last year's programs were designed to give her a bit of pep and vivacity--more of the same for this season. (Not altogether successful!) Would it be benefit her to work with a dancer/trainer to get trim and toned, and a stylist to give her a sleeker, fitter look? There must be an answer for someone so gifted, brilliant and dedicated--and consistent!

  11. #51
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

  12. #52
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    310
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I completely agree that the Slutskaya method might go better for Rachael -- dramatic, lively, strong music that emphasizes athleticism and showcases jumps. I hope EoE works out for her, but we'll see -- it doesn't seem like a good fit to me either.

  13. #53
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,650
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    Frank Carroll used it with Fratianne, Kwan, and Lysacek. Anyone else I missed?

    I think it would fit Czisny beautifully, but I have a hard time seeing Flatt doing it justice. We shall see.
    I'm calling it now...... Mirai

    No, she just has a very small CD collection and refuses to leave that very small comfort zone.
    I'm inclined to agree. I think it was last year that an article about choosing the right music for the Olympics was published. Lori gave her two cents saying that the "skating classics" are used over and over again because they're beautiful pieces of music that can be reinterpretation over and over again. That's what I recall. The problem with Lori is that she herself don't really reinterpret the music well.

    I also happen to think she's a little snooty about music because she doesn't movie beyond the classics. In an interview with PJ (this is on youtube), Lori didn't have any intentions of giving the Pirates music to Mirai because it's normally not the type of music she (Lori) prefers. I'm once again paraphrasing from memory. However, she let Mirai have it because it inspired Mirai and gave her an extra spark.

    In this same interview, Lori also talked about how she prefers to choose the music for the skater if she thinks the glove fits, even if the skater isn't too comfortable with it. Her reasoning is partially because she is the choreographer. I will say that when Lori is good, she is good but that interview made me

    Has Lori had an original idea since Michelle left her? She seems determined to use all of Michelle's music on other skaters.
    Her recent programs that I thought were great, that includes done-before music, were Aranjuez and Samson et Delilah for Joannie.

    The only piece of music that Lori HAS NOT recycled is Belkis, Queen of Sheba, which wasn't really appropriate for Kimmie to interpret. The choreographic content, however, is what people have said to be a Salome-ripoff. I happen to love that piece music and I'd like to see it skated to again some day.

  14. #54

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Singleville aka 7th Circle of Hell
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,384
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    9959
    ^* This. If I were her team, I'd try her skating to some lighthearted, operatic beer-drinking songs, a la The Student Prince (they might want to leave Drink Drink Drink off in the table), La Traviata, La Dona e mobile (this would also cause an uncontrollable urge to clap among the audience), etc.

    Though maybe with the right piece of music, Rachael could transform. Part of her problem is that she hasn't found a style of music that works well for her. EoE might surprise us all. At least her team is *trying* and is not blind to the fact that her SP is not working. Even if it doesn't work, I applaud Rachael for taking a risk and acknowledging when something doesn't work. After all, we bitched and moaned and whined and whinged about her programs last year, and this year, BOOM, different style. Can't say the girl isn't giving it her all.

    *Refers to the post suggesting she go for the Slutskaya method. You people post too damn fast.
    Last edited by Matryeshka; 01-13-2011 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Clarification
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

  15. #55
    aspiring tri-national
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    in flight
    Posts
    20,550
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    39757
    Unfortunately, on the broadcast of that stunning pro-am performance, the commentator makes a comment about some skaters just "acting" instead of skating to the music. That fits Rachael spot-in, I'm afraid.

    Watching that clip -- and I am not a Kwan uber -- I'm simply blown away by what a great skater can do with appropriate music.

    I think the reason Rachael hasn't found her musical style is that she just inherently isn't musical.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

  16. #56

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Skateland
    Posts
    7,841
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Man those cutesy moves just make me cringe for some reason when she does them.
    She even managed to fan herself in the middle of her event-specific routine in the recent Disson 'Skating and Gymnastics Spectacular'!
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

  17. #57

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Petaluma, CA
    Posts
    5,619
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    8129
    Well, I am thrilled she is getting a new SP....however, to select what could be considered a signature piece of one of the greatest skaters of all time.................not so good.

    Michelle was an artist on ice...........and that is what we remember and "see" when EoE music starts. Rachael who is a journeyman on the ice, can only fall short in comparison. To take on that piece of music, with the Kwan-ness it has, you gotta be a Cohen, Kim, Czisny (the one who stays on her feet) someone who could create a moment on ice that is as compelling and as beautiful as Michelle's. Rachael is just not that kind of skater.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

  18. #58

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Alone. With my eyes open.
    Posts
    3,877
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by Indra486 View Post
    I'm calling it now...... Mirai
    And I'll bet a big shiny nickel that it will earn her an Olympic medal.



    Quote Originally Posted by Indra486 View Post
    I'm inclined to agree. I think it was last year that an article about choosing the right music for the Olympics was published. Lori gave her two cents saying that the "skating classics" are used over and over again because they're beautiful pieces of music that can be reinterpretation over and over again. That's what I recall. The problem with Lori is that she herself don't really reinterpret the music well.

    I also happen to think she's a little snooty about music because she doesn't movie beyond the classics. In an interview with PJ (this is on youtube), Lori didn't have any intentions of giving the Pirates music to Mirai because it's normally not the type of music she (Lori) prefers. I'm once again paraphrasing from memory. However, she let Mirai have it because it inspired Mirai and gave her an extra spark.

    In this same interview, Lori also talked about how she prefers to choose the music for the skater if she thinks the glove fits, even if the skater isn't too comfortable with it. Her reasoning is partially because she is the choreographer. I will say that when Lori is good, she is good but that interview made me
    The thing about Nichol is that she can do really great things with skaters who have a lot of artistic/interpretive ability and who can pull off a lyrical style well. If you're not that type of skater, she still gives you choreography like you are which usually just makes you look bad. Such skaters are much better off with someone like Bezic, IMO.


    Quote Originally Posted by Indra486 View Post
    Her recent programs that I thought were great, that includes done-before music, were Aranjuez and Samson et Delilah for Joannie.

    The only piece of music that Lori HAS NOT recycled is Belkis, Queen of Sheba, which wasn't really appropriate for Kimmie to interpret. The choreographic content, however, is what people have said to be a Salome-ripoff. I happen to love that piece music and I'd like to see it skated to again some day.
    At that Queen of Sheba program. It was horrific.

  19. #59
    drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    c'est genifique!
    Posts
    29,976
    vCash
    325
    Rep Power
    38320
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    even if Michelle never used it, this piece of music screams "lyrical." there is nothing wrong with not being a lyrical skater. but i can't see how this can end well for rachael.
    I didn't think so either, until I saw her "Imagine" exhibitionat SA. I kept thinking, where on earth has this skater been the last couple of seasons?!?! So I'm willing to wait and see and hope for the best. Or at least for the better - I'd much rather see Flatt attempt something lyrical than portraying a 9 year old in a twee dance recital, which is what the previous SP was.

    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    When I think of it, I think of John Curry. I think Frank Carroll forced Shez on Michelle.
    I always thought that was Michelle chafing under the Carroll/Nichol reins and wanting to strike out on her own, since Kawahara "choreographed" it (I think MK's Schez is a steaming pile of crap, and I'm a Kwan uber).
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

  20. #60

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Still cheering for Mirai and Jeremy
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,881
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1271
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    Unfortunately, on the broadcast of that stunning pro-am performance, the commentator makes a comment about some skaters just "acting" instead of skating to the music. That fits Rachael spot-in, I'm afraid.

    Watching that clip -- and I am not a Kwan uber -- I'm simply blown away by what a great skater can do with appropriate music.

    I think the reason Rachael hasn't found her musical style is that she just inherently isn't musical.
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelAnnie View Post
    Well, I am thrilled she is getting a new SP....however, to select what could be considered a signature piece of one of the greatest skaters of all time.................not so good.

    Michelle was an artist on ice...........and that is what we remember and "see" when EoE music starts. Rachael who is a journeyman on the ice, can only fall short in comparison. To take on that piece of music, with the Kwan-ness it has, you gotta be a Cohen, Kim, Czisny (the one who stays on her feet) someone who could create a moment on ice that is as compelling and as beautiful as Michelle's. Rachael is just not that kind of skater.
    I think you two hit the nail on the head. When Michelle skated to that music it was magic. You really felt that Kwan was one with the music in that program. Watching yt vids of her Nationals SP created tears in my eyes. I know that might sound a little over the top but Michelle made EoE so special.

    I don't know if Rachel can do the same. I've never seen a Rachel program that was simply magical. Maybe Rachel's program will be awesome. I hope at the very least it showcases her strengths (maybe some we didn't know she had). However, I think she'll have to showcase some of her personality and develop some lyricism in order to make this program work.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •