Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Flatt has a new SP

According to Lynn Rutherford and Sarah and Drew on twitter, Rachael's new SP is to East of Eden.

We'll have to wait til Nationals to see, but I associates that music so much with Michelle Kwan, I hope Flatt can do that music justice.

vCash
    Great minds think alike! Please see my post 1 minute before yours!

vCash
    Source is Rachael Flatt's bio: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=100068

http://twitter.com/SarahandDrew/stat...64054202359809
    The secret's out - @RachaelFlatt has a new SP. It's fantastic, by the way!
    Last edited by Sylvia; 01-13-2011 at 03:49 PM.

vCash
    Ugh.

vCash
    I'm not one of those who believes a a skater OWNS a specific piece of music but having said that, on what planet is this a good idea? Did Lori Nichol lose her mind?

vCash
    Oh dear. Well, I hope that the music inspires Rachael to skate well, but I really fear that whatever she does will be compared quite unfavorably to Michelle's performances to this, whether SP or exhibition. It's been a dozen years since Michelle won the World Pro competition skating to East of Eden and a decade since her Nationals and Worlds SP's, but the memories are still quite vivid for me. I wish Rachael well, but wonder at her making this music choice.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    her team seems hell bent on finding music that points out her weaknesses as opposed to her strengths
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    I'm not one of those who believes a a skater OWNS a specific piece of music but having said that, on what planet is this a good idea? Did Lori Nichol lose her mind?
    Has Lori had an original idea since Michelle left her? She seems determined to use all of Michelle's music on other skaters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Has Lori had an original idea since Michelle left her? She seems determined to use all of Michelle's music on other skaters.
    Well, using "Schez" for Evan didn't do him any harm, so maybe, Lori thought that other "Michelle music" would have a similar effect with other skaters?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    The only pieces that Lori has done recently that work are those she's done for Asada. Otherwise, her work is total snoozeville.

vCash
    I don't normally subscribe to the notion that any skater owns a piece of music, either, but, to my mind, Michelle's skates to EoE at the World Pros and 2001 Nationals simply cannot be bettered. There's not a thing I would change about the way those programs were performed, so Rachael would automatically compare unfavorably skating to the same music. There's not much variation in the piece, either, so if Rachael is skating only to cuts of EoE, she'd more or less be skating to the same sections as Michelle did.

In any case, it's heartening to see that Lori still retains her eclectic music tastes as a choreographer.

vCash
    Oh, dear, I was holding out hope that it was music from the 1955 James Dean movie instead of the Lee Holdridge work that Michelle Kwan used, but Flatt's bio on icenetwork confirms that it is indeed the Holdridge piece. This is a huge mistake.

vCash
    Hmmmm. I know that a piece of music isn't "owned" by a skater, but does Rachael's team really want the inevitable comparisons made especially with the judges? EOE wasn't my favorite of Kwan's, but it is considered to be one of her most memorable ones. I wish Rachael the best next week, but I'm thinking this move is not a good one.

vCash
    My concern is why is Racheal debuting a new SP right before Nationals.
    Wishing her good luck but......

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    even if Michelle never used it, this piece of music screams "lyrical." there is nothing wrong with not being a lyrical skater. but i can't see how this can end well for rachael.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    Well, using "Schez" for Evan didn't do him any harm, so maybe, Lori thought that other "Michelle music" would have a similar effect with other skaters?
    But Schez is not considered to be one of MK's best programs. And so many other skaters have used it (including Yu-Na Kim the season before ) that there wasn't anything definitive for Evan to be compared to. When fans and judges think of/hear EOE, MK's program is likely the first thing that comes to mind.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    Actually, "Schez" was Linda Fratianne's music.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Actually, "Schez" was Linda Fratianne's music.
    When I think of it, I think of John Curry. I think Frank Carroll forced Shez on Michelle.

vCash
    How can a new music, no matter which it is, improve the quality of Rachael's skating?

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast