Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    They showed it at the event and there's a detailed writeup on ilounge.com.
    It's nearly identical to the existing 4G with two exceptions... CDMA chip inside and different antenna outside.

Don't know where you heard removable battery. That's not Apple's style. Swappable used to be a big issue when even the best phones only gave 2 hrs of talk time. Things have changed. Neither the ATT nor the VZ phone have a user swappable battery.
    My brother works for Verizon and when Apple was shopping the phone once before they passed because they absolutely hated the idea of a battery the customer could not remove if the phone should lock up and need to be restarted without having to call customer service. I know a removable battery isn't apples style but it was Verizon's at least a few years ago.

I for sure won't get one if I have to call them every time I have to reset it verses just taking out the battery.

vCash
    You can reset the iPhone without having to take the battery out. I've had to do that only once, but it worked fine.

vCash
    I know, with my Droid, I can do a "soft reset" - which means just power it off, wait 2 minutes and power back on.

Actually, one of the things that disappoints me is that there is no International roaming on the Verizon phone. Not that I travel Internationally very often, but I'd like to be able to take my own phone when (and if) I ever do.

In the place 4 hours due East of where George Spiteri has his workshop
    vCash
    Okay....
    I'm on my Mom's Family Share plan and she signed off on me getting whatever phone I like provided that I reimburse her for the data fee each month.

However....someone I know is selling me their Droid X for $150 and I'd prefer NOT being on a contract...especially when 4g comes to Verizon eventually.

It's a hard decision: Droid X and NOT being confined to a contract....or IPhone and being forced to keep up service for 2 years....but it's the IPhone, and I've waited so long for Verizon to get it!

Would the Iphone's tethering mean that I could use the signal as wifi for my laptop and/or my Ipod Touch?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8pics View Post
    You can reset the iPhone without having to take the battery out. I've had to do that only once, but it worked fine.
    Awesome! And the fact you only have had to do it once is even better

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by avivadawn View Post
    Would the Iphone's tethering mean that I could use the signal as wifi for my laptop and/or my Ipod Touch?
    Yes, but as my son just confirmed, you have to pay extra on the data plan. I don't know how much or if it is an as you go thing.

This article is from '09, and I am not sure it is still accurate, but it was all Im could find. http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente..._cost_you.html
    Last edited by cruisin; 01-13-2011 at 03:36 PM.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    To use your smartphone as a mobile hotspot, it's $20 for 2GB.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I looked at ATT iPhone tethering articles from when they put it in and it was about $20 a month where a separate data plan would have been $25. So you saved $5 bucks. But that got you 3G access I think, not just WiFi.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I looked at ATT iPhone tethering articles from when they put it in and it was about $20 a month where a separate data plan would have been $25. So you saved $5 bucks. But that got you 3G access I think, not just WiFi.
    Makes sense that you could do either or, but I don't think that you can get a Droid or Blackberry without a data plan. I don't know about iPhone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Makes sense that you could do either or, but I don't think that you can get a Droid or Blackberry without a data plan. I don't know about iPhone.
    Smart phones aren't worth the price without a data plan. You wouldn't be able to use the browser or many of the apps.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Smart phones aren't worth the price without a data plan. You wouldn't be able to use the browser or many of the apps.
    Yes, but if you use it to tether, you could do all of that. I just can't see spending $60 to do both

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    With the tethering, you only get a certain number of GB before you start getting charged more. I don't know how many GB are used per month by an average person. Besides, wouldn't it be cheaper to just get a wireless router?

vCash
    Yes, but if you use it to tether, you could do all of that. I just can't see spending $60 to do both
    Tethering is an add on to a data plan. The tethered device uses the phone's data plan to access the internet. You can't tether without a data plan.

vCash
    Tethering is an add on to a data plan. The tethered device uses the phone's data plan to access the internet. You can't tether without a data plan.
    Of course, you're right! I wasn't thinking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    I'll be getting a new phone regardless. I have the old iPhone 3G which is now more like a paperweight since iOS 4.2 has clogged it all shit up (and Apple doesn't care about that).
    The single biggest drawback to the iPhone, on any network, IMO, is Apple. Apple = Arrogance. For years people have been asking to be able to put Notes in alphabetic order, and that is consistently ignored. It doesn't take a genius to do that, but instead of a rational sort order option, they gave us a choice of 3 fonts . The latest fiasco with the alarm problems on 1/1/11 and 1/2/11 is more of the same. Apple knew about it but couldn't be bothered to text us a heads-up . People missed flights because of that bug, which, BTW, was simply a matter of poor testing. I love my iPhone, but I despise Apple.

vCash
    I don't know about Verizon, but AT&T required that I buy a data plan with the Iphone. Apparently, it used to be free now they're now charging $20 bucks for 120MB. Greedy bastards.
    If Verizon plans are cheaper, I'm going with the once my cotract ends.

Quote Originally Posted by dnby
    The single biggest drawback to the iPhone, on any network, IMO, is Apple. Apple = Arrogance.
    Apple software also does not work well with some Windows x64 computers. I tried every single solution on the net and on their support site, but to this day cannot install Itunes on my computer. With that said, the GPS function is a lifesaver. You can even enter a keyword instead of an address, and it will search for that business and map it.
    Last edited by indicatoto101; 01-14-2011 at 07:33 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by indicatoto101 View Post
    I don't know about Verizon, but AT&T required that I buy a data plan with the Iphone. Apparently, it used to be free now they're now charging $20 bucks for 120MB. Greedy bastards.
    If Verizon plans are cheaper, I'm going with the once my cotract ends.
    I don't believe AT&T's data plan was ever free, but it used to include unlimited data transfer for $30/month. That's the plan I got (minus my company's discount) and I still have it, I kept it when I got my iPhone4.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbny View Post
    The single biggest drawback to the iPhone, on any network, IMO, is Apple. Apple = Arrogance. For years people have been asking to be able to put Notes in alphabetic order, and that is consistently ignored. It doesn't take a genius to do that, but instead of a rational sort order option, they gave us a choice of 3 fonts . The latest fiasco with the alarm problems on 1/1/11 and 1/2/11 is more of the same. Apple knew about it but couldn't be bothered to text us a heads-up . People missed flights because of that bug, which, BTW, was simply a matter of poor testing. I love my iPhone, but I despise Apple.
    But really, is there a huge tech company that isn't arrogant? A lot of companies put out crap (cough, windowsvista, cough). I'm not saying there's an excuse for poor testing but just because Apple is perceived as "arrogant" isn't going to make me not buy their products.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbny View Post
    Apple knew about it but couldn't be bothered to text us a heads-up . People missed flights because of that bug, which, BTW, was simply a matter of poor testing. I love my iPhone, but I despise Apple.
    Actually, it was known and there were instructions for setting a repeating alarm to get around the issue posted as early as a month before. As for texting you, only your service provider knows your phone number. Apple doesn't have it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by indicatoto101 View Post
    I don't know about Verizon, but AT&T required that I buy a data plan with the Iphone. <snip>

Apple software also does not work well with some Windows x64 computers. I tried every single solution on the net and on their support site, but to this day cannot install Itunes on my computer. With that said, the GPS function is a lifesaver. You can even enter a keyword instead of an address, and it will search for that business and map it.
    Verizon requires a data plan with every smartphone. The Palm Centro used to be allowed to do a pay-as-you-go plan, but not anymore.

I've got a Win7/64 bit machine and have had no problems with iTunes. Lucky, I guess.

Actually, it was known and there were instructions for setting a repeating alarm to get around the issue posted as early as a month before. As for texting you, only your service provider knows your phone number. Apple doesn't have it.
    Do you know where it was posted? If they really knew a month in advance, well Apple has my email address, and that would have done the job. There is no excuse. I do not believe the bug was made public that far in advance. Too many people missed flights and important business meetings for that to have been the case. As far as only the provider having the phone number; true, but the provider also knows which numbers are iPhones, and Apple could pay for those texts. If you want to argue about it, go over the Apple iPhone support discussion board, where there are 27 pages about the alarm issue, and that's just one thread of several.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast