Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Rob - if you'll never put movies on and don't have a large music collection you can probably get by with 16GB. Some games and GPS apps can also take up a good amount of space, otherwise most apps are pretty small. 32GB was worth it for me to have more music.

I'm pretty excited to have Verizon as an option when my 3GS AT&T contract runs out this summer. It's exactly why I was reluctant to sell my iPhone to upgrade to the iPhone4 - the new features weren't worth being stuck for 2 more years. No LTE in the near future is a bummer though, I doubt the iPhone will get it till 2012 so I may want to try out the new Droids first and see how good the speed increase is.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Announced today iPhone will be available for Verizon as of February 10.

I wonder if this means there will be a compatible iPad for Verizon, with the next generation. One that does not require MiFi.

I just found articles that say yes, maybe as soon as April.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...?taxonomyId=16

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/mobile/...ipad.mashable/

and this one speculates February: http://www.buzzbiznews.com/035012/ip...rizon-iphones/
    Last edited by Rob; 01-12-2011 at 08:34 PM.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    I'm pretty excited to have Verizon as an option when my 3GS AT&T contract runs out this summer. It's exactly why I was reluctant to sell my iPhone to upgrade to the iPhone4 - the new features weren't worth being stuck for 2 more years. No LTE in the near future is a bummer though, I doubt the iPhone will get it till 2012 so I may want to try out the new Droids first and see how good the speed increase is.
    Same here. I skipped the iPhone 4 as I really don't do much video viewing and I HATE video calls. Waiting for the iPhone 5 on Verizon LTE so I grab TV off our FIOS DVR. Verizon really has good integration of their TV and phone offerings.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    can you watch ice network on it?
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    can you watch ice network on it?
    NOPE. My biggest pet peeve!!! No Flash. Steve Jobs hates it.

Windows Phone 7 could actually end up being the best for streaming video if a future update brings both Flash and Silverlight (for Universal Sports)...will see. It'd be awesome if IN could make an iPhone app, but they're probably barely making enough from subscriptions as is without paying for app development.

vCash
    There is an alternative browser that supports Flash video. It's called Skyfire and costs $2.99. The app converts Flash to iPhone compatible formats. I haven't tried it with Ice Network. Does someone already have it installed who could check?

vCash
    Yep, I got Skyfire. No dice, you just get a blue screen when you click on a video link.

vCash
    I'm thrilled --- and I am hoping that a whole lot of AT&T iPhone customers waltz over to Verizon, thereby improving D's AT&T service without us needing to buy a new phone. It's a hope.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    Most of the apps are small, so it depends on how much music and video you need to carry around with you. I have about 30 apps, 4,000 songs, a bunch of photos and a couple of movies on mine and I'm a little over 70% full on a 32GB phone.

The tethering will be part of the data plan and yes, it means that you can get internet access through the phone for up to 5 devices, including the standard wifi only iPad from Apple. If you plan to tether, it doesn't matter which vendor you get it from - Verizon or Apple.
    Do you know if there is a fee for tethering?

I've had Verizon for 10 years. I have had some billing issues with them which were , but they were all resolved. However, the service is the best. My best friend has AT&T and our calls get dropped constantly. She turns her head and loses a call.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    I'm really excited about this too. My contract with AT&T is up the end of may, so I'll know after 3 months of Verizon's service if it's worth switching my current iPhone to them. And with rumors of iPhone 5 I can really have some choices to make!
    I'm very excited about this, too! Can't wait to get my first iPhone!

Spinner, you'll have to get a new iPhone if you want to switch to Verizon...

vCash
    I'm really confused, one guy at Verizon said no one has even seen it, the brass won't show it.

One other guy said it will be a whole new phone with an external battery the consumer can remove. Now I know that was Verizon's big issue with not taking the iphone in the first place so I wonder what it will even look like?

Either way I think I'm too attached to my Droid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    I'm really excited about this too. My contract with AT&T is up the end of may, so I'll know after 3 months of Verizon's service if it's worth switching my current iPhone to them. And with rumors of iPhone 5 I can really have some choices to make!
    As DaveRocks said, you will have to get a new phone for VZ, as the technology is different from ATT's. This is one of the reasons it too VZ so long to get the iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    My questions are:
    16GB or 32GB - I have a simple phone with no apps so I have no idea what I will use. I keep phones a pretty long time - 3-4 years. My husband likes to change his more frequently. But if the 4G comes along in 2 years, we would probably change. So maybe 16GB is enuf?
    I have 103 songs, about 50 apps, between 100-200 pix, and a few short videos. I have the 16GB phone, of which I've used less than 4GB.

I switched from VZ to ATT in June because I wanted a data plan for less than $30/month and also wanted the iPhone. ATT's 200MB/month plan for $15 suits me perfectly. The service is definitely not as good with ATT, but I haven't found it to be as miserable as many have.

vCash
    Do you know if there is a fee for tethering?
    Not really. The pundits are expecting a whole new fee structure for the iPhone. Current VZ smart phone users pay as little as $15 for 150 mb or $30 for unlimited data.

Either ilounge.com or macrumors.com is likely to publish a side by side comparison of rates as soon as they're announced.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    I'm really confused, one guy at Verizon said no one has even seen it, the brass won't show it.

One other guy said it will be a whole new phone with an external battery the consumer can remove. Now I know that was Verizon's big issue with not taking the iphone in the first place so I wonder what it will even look like?

Either way I think I'm too attached to my Droid.
    They showed it at the event and there's a detailed writeup on ilounge.com.
    It's nearly identical to the existing 4G with two exceptions... CDMA chip inside and different antenna outside.

Don't know where you heard removable battery. That's not Apple's style. Swappable used to be a big issue when even the best phones only gave 2 hrs of talk time. Things have changed. Neither the ATT nor the VZ phone have a user swappable battery.

vCash
    Another thing I read that I liked was that Verizon will not be allowed to pre-load all their junk software onto the iPhone like they usually do. That's a big plus, to me anyway! Anyway, I'm on AT&T for another 20 months or so, which is fine. Maybe I'll switch to Verizon at that point, we'll see.

I'm just waiting impatiently for the Gen 2 iPad to come out!

vCash
    I am a former VZW employee and I have been waiting for an iPhone for several years. I kept my Blackberry just so that I could upgrade to an iPhone if/when it became available. Now that the phone is here, I think that I am going to wait.

I still have several friends who work there, one in particular who works in technical support with all of the data products. I am waiting for her feedback to determine whether when I make the purchase. I want to get feedback from customers who purchase right out of the gate and see what their complaints are, and I also want to see how long it takes to get the next model. In my experience, they have the big roll out and then they'll have an updated version in just a couple of months with the kinks worked out of it.

So, as excited as I am, I think that I will hold off just a little bit longer......
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    I'm thrilled --- and I am hoping that a whole lot of AT&T iPhone customers waltz over to Verizon, thereby improving D's AT&T service without us needing to buy a new phone. It's a hope.
    I don't think that's going to help... The problems with the AT&T network are not just "volume" based.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    Not really. The pundits are expecting a whole new fee structure for the iPhone. Current VZ smart phone users pay as little as $15 for 150 mb or $30 for unlimited data.

Either ilounge.com or macrumors.com is likely to publish a side by side comparison of rates as soon as they're announced.
    I have a Motorola Droid with unlimited data - $30. I don't have the Droid X, I have the original. I know Droid X has tether capability, but I thought you had to pay an additional fee, on top of the data plan, for that. Am I mistaken?

I eventually want an iPad. The dilemma is do I get WiFi only or the 3G. I didn't want a plan with AT&T, so that has been the determining factor. If the 3g becomes available through Verizon, I would consider it, then I would get a data free phone. But, would I be better off with a Droid X or higher, or an iPhone and tether a WiFi iPad? Or do I wait for 4G for the iPad? Or do I just keep waiting for the next thing and never get anything ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveRocks View Post
    I'm very excited about this, too! Can't wait to get my first iPhone!

Spinner, you'll have to get a new iPhone if you want to switch to Verizon...
    I'll be getting a new phone regardless. I have the old iPhone 3G which is now more like a paperweight since iOS 4.2 has clogged it all shit up (and Apple doesn't care about that).

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Or do I just keep waiting for the next thing and never get anything ?
    That is usually what I do. This time I am getting the dern phone. My mother gave me a Pandigital tablet that will do for now as a reader so I will wait to see what this tethering is all about or wait for a new iPad to come out.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast