Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    The whole point of doing these games is to see what result is under IJS. You can still judge the quality of elements and PCS and apply the IJS principles. We don't have to call levels on elements unless they miss the element and it becomes invalid. We have had to run competitions at my rink like that when we don't have a TS.

Having just Choreographic Spirals will actually make the calling of spirals easier. I think go for quality in terms of how well it is performed rather than worrying about if they are held for however many seconds. Just recognise they have done a spiral sequence.

I am with gkelly. I am now so far removed from judging 6.0 for these kinds of programs I don't want to go back. But also people have found these exercises really interesting and given them a great understanding of the judging system. And they learn how hard it is to be a judge.

In answer to marking elements invalid, you can do it manually in the system as you do the datat entry. No problem there.

If someone wants to organise a judging game under 6.0 be my guest. Just remember though if you want to get a result, you need to be able to do the calculations to get the result and that is easier said than done. I have no clue how you do it unless you have the relevant software.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Actually the 6.0 calculations by the majority system are quite simple and I often used to do them by hand. I never got the hang of OBO.

vCash
    I love judging old competitions using IJS and those games are great opportunity to do it. I would like to be a judge from Poland.

I think that we should give normal levels to spins rather than reward higher difficulty with GOE. Grade of execution is to reward quality or punish lack of it, not to reward difficulty. We should reward skaters who did more difficult spins just giving them correct higher level and then give GOE for its quality. After all quality is something completely different than difficulty.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bartek View Post
    I think that we should give normal levels to spins rather than reward higher difficulty with GOE. Grade of execution is to reward quality or punish lack of it, not to reward difficulty. We should reward skaters who did more difficult spins just giving them correct higher level and then give GOE for its quality. After all quality is something completely different than difficulty.
    I agree here. I've seen judging games where spins were given no level and really, I don't think that's fair considering the rules were so different. If all spins got level one, that might work the best.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Here you got a judge for Spain!

vCash
    I would be interested in being on the technical panel!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    This Baiul program has a lot of footwork, but COP would treat them as transitions because they are more near half pattern sequences.
    I must say that I'm looking forward to seeing how a transition-filled program stacks up against one with a footwork sequence as an element (assuming the technical panel agrees with you). PCS vs. TES, anyone?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    I would be interested in being on the technical panel!
    That would be great. It is really to confirm the elements. If you like once you have watched the programs can you send them to me at my email address and I will get them entered in the program.

Thanks to Squibble for the video clips.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Sent you my scores, although if some steps/spirals are called that I didn't grade I might need to revise them.

The spins were hard to call as well. Some spins were linked close together but didn't have an immediate change of foot (e.g. an arabian into a barely held 2-3 rotation spin, step out, and double turn into a scratch spin). I didn't know whether to judge those as a combination spin or two separate spins.

Put me as any country you wish

Resident Rude Brazilian
    vCash
    Brazilian judge, reporting for duty

vCash
    So am I (A)TS or the judge from Belarus?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    So am I (A)TS or the judge from Belarus?
    You could do both if you wanted to. Otherwise which ever one you prefer.

vCash
    I'd like to play!

vCash
    What an interesting idea! But how do you want to judge spins, steps & spirals? Will you give all competitors level 1 for them? If so, won't it be jump contest?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extranjera View Post
    What an interesting idea! But how do you want to judge spins, steps & spirals? Will you give all competitors level 1 for them? If so, won't it be jump contest?
    No it won't, because we will give skaters GOE mark for their spins, steps and spirals and I don't see any obstacle in giving a skater level 2 for spin if he/she included some difficulty which is feature for higher level. Of course most of the spins will be level one but if someone did meet requirements for level 2 or 3 we should just give it to his spin/step sequence. And spirals are just choreographed ones so we only give them GOE mark. And there are some people on the forum who have enough knowledge to determine levels, I think we already have TS, don't we?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Really weird to imagine that Oksana Baiul won the Olympics with a worse LP against Nancy Kerrigan who skated a better LP than Surya Bonaly at Euros ! But that's another debate : Politiks, politiks !
    I dont neccessarily think Kerrigan's LP at the Olympics was better than Bonaly's at Europeans. Jump wise it definitely was not atleast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I dont neccessarily think Kerrigan's LP at the Olympics was better than Bonaly's at Europeans. Jump wise it definitely was not atleast.
    PML !
    Surya did 5 triples at 1994 Euros. Same as Nancy in Lillehammer.
    If you think jump wise, Surya did 6 triples in Lillehammer ! Do you think her programs was better than her Euros' LP, jump wise at least ?

In the mountains, where hippies and hillbillies collide!
    vCash
    I'm not even about to judge this, but it was sooooo nice watching this sport from back when it looked like the one I once was in love with Every performance on here put a smile on my face

vCash
    Maybe I'm the only one, but I think getting an element an element list would be really helpful. I wasn't sure on some of the elements if they were elements or not, particularly step sequences.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    PML !
    Surya did 5 triples at 1994 Euros. Same as Nancy in Lillehammer.
    If you think jump wise, Surya did 6 triples in Lillehammer ! Do you think her programs was better than her Euros' LP, jump wise at least ?
    Bonaly had 5 clean triples in Lillehammer. The second triple of her triple flip-triple toe was badly cheated. And she was lutzless which in womens skating in the 90s is a huge no no. She had two huge errors, both bad misses on triple lutz attempts. Which is why she ended up off the podium altogether in Lillehammer.

At the Europeans she had a beautiful first triple lutz and a good attempt on a 2nd one as her only slight mistake (stepping out of it) and cheated none of her jumps, landing them all smoothly. Compared to Nancy in Lillehammer jumpwise she had a harder triple-triple, a slightly harder triple-double, and a good attempt of a 2nd triple lutz.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast