Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

vCash
    Weiss is a class act so, on that level, I am disappointed with Johnny's words. HOWEVER, I am certain that Johnny is making the point -- a correct point -- that the USFSA loved and milked Weiss' 'I'm a real Macho man with a real family" image for all it's worth.

Remember -- Who is headlining the 'Family Values Tour' (a.k.a. SOI) and who has been left off that tour, even though he could help sell a gazillion tickets?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by neptune View Post
    Well, Johnny may not have his long-standing gig yet, but once he and Tonya get their pairs' act together, not even death and taxes could be more certain.
    She would have to lift him.

vCash
    You don't think having the Olympic Gold Medal winner will attract a lot more casual fans then a man who is quickly becoming known more for his wardrobe???? Sorry, but I don't think a "gazillion" fans are going to see Weir either!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    I also remember some of the PR stunts Weiss and his family pulled between 1998-2002. They seemed to be trying to position him in the USFSA and fans' minds as THE STRAIGHT AMERICAN SKATER complete with wife and kids. Back then, I considered this strategem only mildly annoying; silly and a bit heavy-handed but nothing to get really worked up about. But, of course, I wasn't one of his rivals and I'm not gay.

If I had been one of his rivals and gay, Weiss' PR strategems might have enraged me. They were appealing to peoples' homophobia. Weir could change his coach, training regimen, etc. but he couldn't change his sexual orientation nor should he have been expected to try.
    Weir didn't present himself as a steady factor until the 03-04 season when he won Nats. From then on, all Johnny had to do was skate his best under 6.0 to win Nats and place top 6 at worlds. The masculinity game, while tough, was a ploy that it seems Johnny unfortunately got sucked into. Michael could play the masculinity game all he wanted from 04 Nats until the end of his career, but Johnny was still beating him consistently, so that game wasn't that significant in terms of their head-to-head competition results.

vCash
    here is an excerpt of the book: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/40967867/ns/today-books/

With all the astonishing adventures and staggering catastrophes of my competitive skating career behind me, I’m in the kiss and cry of my life.
    Doesn't that sound like he is finished his competitive career and not coming back?

Quadless
    vCash
    He always said that he was going to write a book after he was done with competitive skating, so the fact that the book is out pretty much tells me he is moving on. Could he try to make a comeback as many others have done in the past? Sure. But I wouldn't hang any hopes on that happening.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    From the book excerpt linked above:

After deciding to never ever speak to Tara again because she doesn’t know who Anna Wintour is, I take another look at our tickets. Where are our seats? We are still walking toward the front of the theater, past Anna Wintour and Vera Wang, past Suzanne Somers and Donald Trump. We even pass Liza Minnelli and we’re still going. All these bigwigs and legends have worse seats than me? When we find our seats — down front and dead center — I feel absolutely gorgeous and successful. I think to myself, this is exactly where I like to be.
    Ummm, somebody needs to tell him those are the bad seats at a movie theatre.
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceIceBaby View Post
    I don't mind an Oscar-Wilde-like aphorism here and there, it can be amusing. But this is like one never-ending Wilde-aphorism without the elegant snark, the witty humour and, well, I have to correct myself. It's nothing like Wilde at all. It's just bad.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopysnake View Post
    He called Michael "A big hulking and classless idiot with three national titles, two world medals, and two Olympic teams under his wide belt, he was a huge star and everything that the U.S. Figure Skating Association wanted at the helm."
    Forgetting the content for a moment, if this is a direct quote, then it's the poor writing I object to!

Quote Originally Posted by Clarity View Post
    One doesn't need to know how to spell to write a book. Heck, one needn't really know anything to write a book these days. Didn't Snooki from Jersey Shore just release a novel?
    eys, and it just happens to be published by the same imprint as Johnny's book.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceIceBaby View Post
    Doesn't that sound like he is finished his competitive career and not coming back?
    Seriously, was there any doubt? It's clear he is done with competitive figure skating.

vCash
    OMG... it's worse then I expected (and I had pretty low expectations)..... The excerpt made People Magazine look like litature. I think I am not even bothering to buy it in the bargin bin....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Really? I never recalled Johnny being positive about COP.
    It was the issue called "The Boys of Summer", and I do remember reading that.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    OMG... it's worse then I expected (and I had pretty low expectations)..... The excerpt made People Magazine look like litature. I think I am not even bothering to buy it in the bargin bin....
    The prices on Amazon.com have already been marked down.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    It was the issue called "The Boys of Summer", and I do remember reading that.
    I also remember that. Very early on he liked it, but then not so much later.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    I also remember that. Very early on he liked it, but then not so much later.
    See? I'm not crazy. Well, just a little. But he did change his tune, I dunno, maybe between Moscow Worlds and Torino?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    See? I'm not crazy. Well, just a little.
    Crazy like a fox!

It seemed to me that Johnny changed his tune after he got edged by Lysacek at Moscow Worlds.
    Last edited by Cheylana; 01-10-2011 at 08:43 PM.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Crazy like a fox!

It seemed to me that Johnny changed his tune after he got edged by Lysacek at Moscow Worlds.
    Yeah, that makes sense. I remember him bitching about it a lot around that time.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopysnake View Post
    At a party following Cup of Russia, a tipsy Johnny spotted Evan sitting in a corner, and challenged him to a handstand contest. They adjourned to a hallway upstairs, where Johnny was "losing terribly" and then "came down wrong" on the toe of his "very pointy gray leather boots," spraining his ankle. There went the GPF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarity View Post
    That's one of those stories that's either too stupid to be real, or too stupid to be made up. Their history of bringing out the 5 year old in each other leads me to believe that, in this case, it's the latter.
    I used to work for a well-known modern choreographer who toured nationally. One of her company dancers (a woman in her mid-20s at the time) got really shitfaced at a party and broke her ankle doing repeated leaps off the end of a couch in someone's back yard. She wasn't able to dance for over a year - and suffice it to say she did not get to rejoin the company. The choreographer was furious, because she had to recast for an upcoming tour, and I just remember thinking, what a fcuking idiot to throw away something you've worked so hard for over something so stupid.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by igniculus View Post
    Seriously, was there any doubt? It's clear he is done with competitive figure skating.
    But here at the end he says that he definitely tries to come back:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot10Jk_eIWE

I don't know what to think anymore......

vCash
    Johnny MUST come back! Imagine - an Olympics in Russia without Johnny?

vCash
    That excerpt makes me feel so sad for Johnny. He might just as well stand there and scream, "ME! ME! ME! LOOK AT ME!! LOOK AT MEEEEEE!!!!! I MEAN IT! LOOK AT ME RIGHT NOW!!!" Because that's how it reads.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast