Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3038394041 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    Don't forget that Johnny was use to getting his own way with Priscilla so it was a shock for him to be with a coach like Galina who was strict about run throughs and focusing on skating.
    Its a shame that the two couldn't come together to train him because he clearly needs the discipline of a Galina, but she apparently knows squat about the technical aspects and did more harm than good in that department.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I am sure no one but Beefcake and I remember Stanick Jeannette's costume at Skate America in 1998? Give or take a year. Bwahahahaha! I can't find a photo of it online; I wonder if I still have my picture of it around. I know I posted it online at one time.
    I remember it well. And most of us just dismissed it with a shrug and an "Well, he's French! What can you expect?"

Stannick had a couple of - odd - costumes, didn't he? But at least he wore them with a sense of humor, IIRC. He always seemed to be grinning along with the audience as if he was thinking "Sure I look silly but, hey, I got you to watch me, didn't I?" I never had the feeling that he expected anyone to take the outfits seriously.

Whereas Johnny....???
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I wonder if her side of the story is not being told.
    You wonder? Honestly, based on reviews I don't think this book was ever entended as a "balanced, unbiased" review of his life. (That would require a 3rd party writer)

This book, like most autobiography's is "my view of what happened" and they are generally written to make the "author" look good. Nothing wrong with that, but the reader must remember that.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    You wonder? Honestly, based on reviews I don't think this book was ever entended as a "balanced, unbiased" review of his life. (That would require a 3rd party writer)

This book, like most autobiography's is "my view of what happened" and they are generally written to make the "author" look good. Nothing wrong with that, but the reader must remember that.
    Have you ever read an autobiography before? Yes, there are ways to make the person in question look good. However, in the second part of the book, that's exactly what is NOT happening.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post

Or another way of looking at it is that the author is not a mind-reader, and if the other party wants people to know what s/he thinks/feels, the best way is to tell people her/himself.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Its a shame that the two couldn't come together to train him because he clearly needs the discipline of a Galina, but she apparently knows squat about the technical aspects and did more harm than good in that department.

My understanding was that Victor took care of the technical aspects. So did what Johnny said about Galina mean she not likely to continue as his coach?

vCash
    From what I've heard on the internet, Johnny is planning on resuming training with both Galina and Viktor upon his return from Russia.

vCash

I agree, Johnny went to Galina wanting only someone who would kick his butt and make him practice and focus, instead he wound up with someone who tore apart everything he had been taught about skating. Johnny was so convinced that Galina could turn him back into a champion, he agreed to do everything she said, no questions asked and no debate.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I finished the book. I relived the robbery in Vancouver learned a few more details about the federation giving Johnny the finger.

Overall, while there were parts about the narrative that were annoying, I am glad I bought and read it. I agree that Johnny with his quirks and sensitivities really is an artist.

Whoever it was, Galina or Viktor, someone dropped the ball.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

engaged to dupa
    vCash

Whoever it was, Galina or Viktor, someone dropped the ball.
    Johnny, maybe?
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Johnny, maybe?
    Was it really his job to pore over CoP and figure out strategy? Or his coaches'? I'd say his job was to train and to skate.

from Speedy Death

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    I remember it well.
    Oh, yes, we met at that SA, didn't we? I remember looking for your green coat . It was sort of the same shade as that costume.

Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    Stannick had a couple of - odd - costumes, didn't he? But at least he wore them with a sense of humor, IIRC. He always seemed to be grinning along with the audience as if he was thinking "Sure I look silly but, hey, I got you to watch me, didn't I?" I never had the feeling that he expected anyone to take the outfits seriously.
    I always enjoyed Stannick. But that was quite an introduction.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    Was it really his job to pore over CoP and figure out strategy? Or his coaches'? I'd say his job was to train and to skate.
    Surely a skater needs to know CoP and strategy as well? THey need to know what to do or how to respond in different situations. They need to know what to do, the positions to hit and the rotations to make, to get those levels. I'd be by any skater at that level who wasn't involved in that process.
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Of course it's his job. I'm astonished anyone thinks differently. But, hey, YMOV
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marbri View Post
    Surely a skater needs to know CoP and strategy as well? THey need to know what to do or how to respond in different situations. They need to know what to do, the positions to hit and the rotations to make, to get those levels. I'd be by any skater at that level who wasn't involved in that process.
    I think that the coach and choreographer need to design programs that let a skater maximize COP, and that's their job.

But ITA that skaters need to understand it all as well, so that when they miss an element and want to make it up, they know not to do something like, oh, repeat a jump three times.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    What Prancer said.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I think that the coach and choreographer need to design programs that let a skater maximize COP, and that's their job.

But ITA that skaters need to understand it all as well, so that when they miss an element and want to make it up, they know not to do something like, oh, repeat a jump three times.
    Are you speaking of Oda?

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash

Absolutely. And when the choreographer designs a program to maximize CoP it's up to the coach and skater not to change or dilute it.
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash

Exactly. Or do too few combos, which Johnny did several times.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    I finished the book. I relived the robbery in Vancouver learned a few more details about the federation giving Johnny the finger.
    Or perhaps it's more accurate to say "certain people within the federation."

Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3038394041 LastLast