Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 LastLast
    Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    He's certainly not outrageous by Lyndhurst standards. If he had moved into town 20 years ago he would have been hanging at Aldo's and listening to Skinny Puppy and railing against the fur industry.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    That's IT! Thank you.

And Johnny thinks his costumes are kind of crazy?

If Johnny had come up with that I would have started a petition to get USFS to convince him to change it.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    On the show, skating with the stars, he was looking outrageous to me. I miss the old Johnny.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I am almost done with the book. I am a bit skeptical at his descriptions of Galina. Could she possibly be that crazy? And given Johnny history of getting drunk and doing incredibly stupid things like challenging Evan to a hand stand competition and spraining his ankle or getting drunk before Swan Lake at Bolshoi, I can see how Galina would be worried.

I wonder if her side of the story is not being told.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by calica View Post
    Is that where Blanc & Bouquet got the idea for these? (Which I *love* btw.)

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Justathoughtabl View Post
    But maybe by the standards of the Midwestern U.S. (I'm from the Northeast) and by the standards of the USFSA, he's outrageous
    I'm Midwest born and bred, and I at the idea that Johnny is outrageous. What do people think we do out here, anyway?
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Skating Pairs with Drew
    vCash
    I'm Midwest born and bred, and I at the idea that Johnny is outrageous. What do people think we do out here, anyway?

. No. Not outrageous at all. He hasn't learned that less is more. Most of his outfits just seem silly to me. I would not call them outrageous at all.

I found this costume silly as well, but loved the skating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKO56...eature=related

What would people say if Johnny wore this costume?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO4JPSLPGfc
    Last edited by mmscfdcsu; 03-03-2011 at 03:43 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I am almost done with the book. I am a bit skeptical at his descriptions of Galina. Could she possibly be that crazy? And given Johnny history of getting drunk and doing incredibly stupid things like challenging Evan to a hand stand competition and spraining his ankle or getting drunk before Swan Lake at Bolshoi, I can see how Galina would be worried.

It's Johnny's memoir, written from his point of view. There's no need to allow a few paragraphs for Galina to explain her side of the story.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    I hate to say it, but it's that typical "elevator music" that he always favors

That being said, the triple axel that he does during this segment appears to be flawless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hepT00ICryY
    OK, what is this music?? It sounds SOOOO familiar. Is it "Snowstorm"?
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    It's Johnny's memoir, written from his point of view. There's no need to allow a few paragraphs for Galina to explain her side of the story.
    That's not what I meant--I don't expect him to have Galina write anything. I am, however, wondering is something is lost in the story of his issues with her. That's the feeling I got from reading.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    OK, what is this music?? It sounds SOOOO familiar. Is it "Snowstorm"?
    This reply was posted in the other Weir thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    Schnittke, "Tale of Wandering" (from this film). I've always liked it myself. Butyrskaya, Doronina, and Bazarova/Larionov have skated to it before.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mmscfdcsu View Post
    . No. Not outrageous at all. He hasn't learned that less is more. Most of his outfits just seem silly to me. I would not call them outrageous at all.

I found this costume silly as well, but loved the skating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKO56...eature=related

I don't find these costumes so weird as I find them indicative of a period of time-as does the choreography. Actually, that second one made me think of many costumes for Swan Lake's Seigfried I've seen - ok, without the little gold skirt, I'll grant you that. If Johnny wore that, I might wonder if he was trying to outdo Natalie Portman with a swan lake psychological thriller of his own. I mean, check this out!

http://www.totallyfreeimages.com/138...an-Lake-Act-II,
    Last edited by Holley Calmes; 03-03-2011 at 04:38 AM.

vCash
    I didn't mean any disrespect. I just meant whatever is more conservative, and I'm generalizing based on the red/blue thing. It's a complete generalization. I'm just trying to figure out just _who_ thinks Johnny is outrageous.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Justathoughtabl View Post
    I didn't mean any disrespect. I just meant whatever is more conservative, and I'm generalizing based on the red/blue thing. It's a complete generalization. I'm just trying to figure out just _who_ thinks Johnny is outrageous.
    Johnny!

Oooh, mmmary, using dance team costumes is just completely unfair . And using B&B is just tooooooo cruel .
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    But you need to qualify between those who think being outrageous is GOOD versus those who think being outrageous isn't good. Or, who believe being outrageous according to their own standards is good/bad. Or who think outrageous is fine for people they like but not others. Or people who....ad nauseum.

I love Johnny. I don't love him totally all the time, but I'm indulgent of his attempts at fabulousness. I just don't want to see him get hurt in the long run. I'd much rather have him back skating seriously in "outrageous" costumes than appearing in STAR Magazine's worst dressed looking like a bedazzled Tarzan. (Though...he's certainly fit, even with glitter running down his legs....)

vCash
    I don't think most of his costumes are silly. Look at what ballet dancers wear; no one calls that silly. They're costumes, not uniforms or street clothes.

vCash

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BmcC102 View Post
    Yep. And the next time he wears a loin cloth like that he should dance to this.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash

Which one?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post

Don't forget that Johnny was use to getting his own way with Priscilla so it was a shock for him to be with a coach like Galina who was strict about run throughs and focusing on skating.

Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 LastLast