Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Here's what he has to say about his reaction to his "mean accommodations" at the Olympic Village in Torino:

"I walked over to Priscilla's room to check out her living space, but when I arrived she was nowhere to be found. The building was empty since the women's skating team didn't arrive for another week and a half. So I started poking around and a light bulb went off in my head. I grabbed a bunch of fleece blankets, two lamps, a bedside table, and a few extra towels for good measure."

Nice. Never mind that this behaviour might inconvenience his coach or his fellow team members. It's all about Johnny and what he wants and needs. Because he's special. He's a star. He "deserves" it.

He didn't actually say this did he? (Never mind - I know he did I am just shocked!) Every time I open this train wreck I think "it can't shock me" and it does. Johnny Weir, Great Skater and Petty Thief! What a combo!

Has this book REALLY made anyone who read it (and I admit I am not one who has read it) think "better" of him? Once again I am saddened by the fact that the "team" around him so seems to be giving him NO good advice about his image, career etc.... Hopefully I am wrong and 10 years from now there won't be a "whatever happened to Johnny Weir" thread? (or worse....) but.. I am losing hope! I don't see anything he's doing now contributing to a long term image that will hold him in good stead. (And had his editor ever heard of "fact checking" and calling him on it? Or did they not want to invest that type of money in him?)

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    Once again I am saddened by the fact that the "team" around him so seems to be giving him NO good advice about his image, career etc....
    In the end, he's the one responsible for what he says and does. If anything, my guess is that his team and circle are feeding the fires, not tempering them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    In the end, he's the one responsible for what he says and does. If anything, my guess is that his team and circle are feeding the fires, not tempering them.
    That's what worries me! Someone needs to be able to say "here are the potential downsides" and based on what I have seen of his agent... that's not happening! Doesn't sound like anyone else is doing it either

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Johnny doesn't seem to accept criticism of any type. So why would he listen to his inner circle anyway, if they criticized him to begin with?

In my interview with Tara Modlin, I asked her if her clients always listen to her advice, and she flat out said that some of them don't. So it's possible that she did put in her .02, but Johnny ignored her. We'll never know.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    I said it before and I'll say it again....he's the one who's going to have to live with these decisions he's making in his unseasoned and tempestuous 20s when he's 40, not any of us. Maybe they'll work out for him, maybe they won't. But they're his decisions to live with.

And I'll say this again....thank GAWD the Interwebz wasn't around very much when I was in my 20s.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    I said it before and I'll say it again....he's the one who's going to have to live with these decisions he's making in his unseasoned and tempestuous 20s when he's 40, not any of us. Maybe they'll work out for him, maybe they won't. But they're his decisions to live with.

And I'll say this again....thank GAWD the Interwebz wasn't around very much when I was in my 20s.
    Thank God for Johnny it is, without it he'd be forgotten by now.
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    Ouch!! Hugh Grant has evolved into a fine comedic actor and has oodles of charisma.
    I don't see it at all. His shtick leaves me cold. Usually, for me, he's the worst part of any movie he's in.

(Sorry for being off-topic!)
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post

I don't eat more than a few almonds before a dance or skating performance, because I don't want food in my stomach.

A professional ballerina who is expected to look very very slight isn't going to want to be bloated for an evening show.
    She wasn't scheduled to dance for another 4-5 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    yeah, there were only certain foods I could eat in the hours before performing. Very possible she had power bars or something similar to eat right before the show.
    She might have. But she had danced a very strenuous Balanchine ballet about 30 minutes before, and although she might have chowed a power bar or a chocolate cheesecake right after the ballet, I wouldn't count on it. Ballerinas are frequently quoted about living on coffee and cigarettes.

About Weir and the hotel, I'd never been to that one at the time he was there, but he's described himself over the years about being a neat freak, and he wouldn't be the first person to walk into a hotel room that feels damp or dirty and has wanted to scream.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    She wasn't scheduled to dance for another 4-5 hours.

She might have. But she had danced a very strenuous Balanchine ballet about 30 minutes before, and although she might have chowed a power bar or a chocolate cheesecake right after the ballet, I wouldn't count on it. Ballerinas are frequently quoted about living on coffee and cigarettes.

About Weir and the hotel, I'd never been to that one at the time he was there, but he's described himself over the years about being a neat freak, and he wouldn't be the first person to walk into a hotel room that feels damp or dirty and has wanted to scream.
    Generally, ballet dancers don't eat for at least 6-8 hours before their performances. They'll snack on things like chocolate, nuts, or fruits, but they won't eat full meals. People have to remember that dancers just don't go on stage and dance. There are lots of preparations like stretching, last minute rehearsals, and costume fittings before the performances. As for after performances, your muscles and ligaments are so stretched and tired, that I doubt you'd want to chomp down on a full meal. I remember all I wanted to do was sleep after a performance, not eat. Dancers are very hard on their own performances, they always go through their performances in their heads afterwards and are usually in a zone still. Ballet is just as demanding as sports.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    That's what's amazing about how they can go on. They start with class, they have a full day of rehearsals and/or their matinee performance prep, they have rehearsals before their evening performance, sometimes behind the curtain up to the minute of the performance, and then they perform at night. At NYCB, as a corps or featured dancer, especially as injuries pile up towards the end of the season, might dance in 2 or 3 of 3 ballets, and twice a day on Saturdays. (It used to be Sundays, too, until they went down to a late matinee only.) Yet they survive on very little, because it's always six hours before a performance.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 01-20-2011 at 06:23 PM.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Tara Modlin is loving all the attention that being Johnny's agent has garnered her, especially from her appearances on his show. They have a very unusual agent-athlete relationship that seems more like a best friend type of thing.

I don't think Johnny is really someone who would tolerate dissenting opinions or a Devil's advocate in his inner circle. He seems to need cheerleaders around him at all times, not anyone who's going to put him in his place. This goes for his agent, his friends and his mother.

vCash
    This thread is on 31 pages and counting. I think that Johnny is popular.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash

yes, but if you are like most of us... even if you said these things how many people would really care???

That's the problem ... most of us can "forget" our errors. If you make them in a book that gets published it's hard to "forget"

(And lenght of thread and "popularity" are not a proven correlation on FSU. Have you ever read the Mira Lueng threads... VERY long, not much "love" there IMHO!)

vCash
    I meant popular as in a popular topic (hot topic), not necessarily that everybody who posts loves him.

In other words, love him or hate him (or in between), this guy invites attention.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    That's the problem ... most of us can "forget" our errors. If you make them in a book that gets published it's hard to "forget"
    Exactly. My friend pulled out some old emails I had written when I was about 26. Holy cripes, the stoopid things that I thought were So Important and worthy of analysis back then. Thank GAWD there is only a witness of one today and those emails are hidden in a box in the attic.

A 40 year-old guy I know was telling me about how he was at a party full of 20-somethings recently, and he had mentioned about how obnoxious all the 25 year-old guys were because, as he put it "That's the age when male dickheadedness is at its absolute zenith."
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    I meant popular as in a popular topic (hot topic), not necessarily that everybody who posts loves him.

In other words, love him or hate him (or in between), this guy invites attention.
    Notorious would be a better word .

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Exactly. My friend pulled out some old emails I had written when I was about 26. Holy cripes, the stoopid things that I thought were So Important and worthy of analysis back then. Thank GAWD there is only a witness of one today and those emails are hidden in a box in the attic.

A 40 year-old guy I know was telling me about how he was at a party full of 20-somethings recently, and he had mentioned about how obnoxious all the 25 year-old guys were because, as he put it "That's the age when male dickheadedness is at its absolute zenith."
    I'm 26 and I think Johnny is a brat. Then again people have always mistaken me to be 5 years older than I really am.

And even in my teens I usually kept bratty thoughts to myself! I'm that Johnny would think airing it out in a book was the right thing to do. Bleck.

vCash
    Tanith Belbin and Charlie White went to Johnny's book signing at the Borders on the University of Michigan's campus in Ann Arbor:
    http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/4590/jwe01.jpg
    http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/7882/jwe02.jpg
    http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/1775/jwe03.jpg
    http://plixi.com/p/70716440

from Tanith' twitter:
    Refused to get out of bed this a.m. Before finishing @JohnnyGWeir's book! Love you JWe. What a beautiful mess of a life we live

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexxandra View Post
    Tanith Belbin and Charlie White went to Johnny's book signing at the Borders on the University of Michigan's campus in Ann Arbor:
    I'm tragically depressed that I missed Johnny's book signing... or not.

vCash
    I absolutely love how Johnny looks with the curly hair and the glasses in those pictures with Tanith. That "geek chic" thing really works for him.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast