Page 14 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nylynnr View Post
    Sounds like some posting on this thread are basing their opinions of Weir's behavior as described in his book strictly on the anecdotes posted by Frau Muller. Now, the anecdotes might be perfectly phrased and recounted entirely in context; then again, actually reading the book might lend a more complete view.
    Bless you for trying but nobody seems to get it.

vCash
    How would faking illness to get out of a major competition look any better in context?
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    How would faking illness to get out of a major competition look any better in context?
    It wouldn't; context isn't about looking "better," it's about delivering a complete view. I have not read the book yet, so I don't know whether Johnny later, perhaps, regretted his actions or -- again perhaps -- reflected upon them and learned something, or -- perhaps --thought it was a good joke. And I don't know if any of the posters here are interested enough to read the book, or if reading Frau Muller is enough for them. For those who are interested, I'm urging them to defer judgment and read the book.

Skating Pairs with Drew
    vCash
    Maybe when it hits the $1.00 bin.

Watch me move
    vCash
    And I don't know if any of the posters here are interested enough to read the book, or if reading Frau Muller is enough for them.
    This is a really unnecessary comment. Numerous posters here have expressed an interest in reading the book, and I doubt you would find few demographic groups more interested in reading the book than those who participate in a figure skating discussion board.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    This is a really unnecessary comment. Numerous posters here have expressed an interest in reading the book, and I doubt you would find few demographic groups more interested in reading the book than those who participate in a figure skating discussion board.
    What a wonderful, if unintentional, way of proving my point. You pulled a sentence from my (brief) post entirely out of context. I don't know if anyone pulled anecdotes from the book out of context, in the same manner you did my sentence; if so, I doubt they could possibly have done as complete job of it as you did.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mmscfdcsu View Post
    Maybe when it hits the $1.00 bin.
    you should tweet about it and see if someone will pick up on the hint and buy it for you

vCash
    That was more favorable than I expected. I was really unimpressed by the prologue since it basically summed up everything I don't like about Johnny. But AJ's review makes Welcome to My World sound more intriguing and worth reading. And while AJ's blog isn't everyone's cup of tea, you can always rely on him to call Johnny out on his crap. I might actually read the book now.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I don't know if it is an issue, and I don't know if context is missing. I am suggesting that a full view, for those who are interested, can only be obtained through reading the book.
    We still won't have a full view; we will have the view Johnny chooses to show us.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

Watch me move
    vCash
    What a wonderful, if unintentional, way of proving my point. You pulled a sentence from my (brief) post entirely out of context. I don't know if anyone pulled anecdotes from the book out of context, in the same manner you did my sentence; if so, I doubt they could possibly have done as complete job of it as you did.
    You questioned whether any posters here "are interested enough to read the book". I pointed out that many posters here had indeed expressed an interest in reading the book. (And it seems from the conversation that many posters here have read substantial excerpts of the book on the Today Show website or through the excerpts available to e-readers.) Please explain the context from your post that I missed in responding to your comment.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowgirl View Post
    Japanese fans would buy all sorts of presents to their favorite skaters. To all of them, not just Johnny. Skaters take pictures of their hotel rooms fuill of gifts, looks pretty impressive.
    There is a strong custom of gift giving in Japan. If you've ever visited someone in Japan or had someone from Japan visit you... gifts, gifts, gifts. It's a beautiful custom.

Perhaps someone on FSU who knows more about it and can speak to this. I think some background on this custom might help with our understanding of the egg!

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    We still won't have a full view; we will have the view Johnny chooses to show us.
    This.
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

vCash
    I'm not an uberfan, but I do appreciate Johnny's skating so I bought the book and read it on my kindle. It's a quick read and most of it is about his skating career. I was glad for that because the prologue had me worried. It's not the best written book I've read nor is it all that deep or emotionally-stirring. However, it is interesting nonetheless to read about his career from his perspective.

vCash
    What I cannot understand (and someone please explain to me) is why did Galina feel the need to totally rework Johnny's jumps? He had beautiful jumps with Priscilla and Galina totally destroyed them.

Skating Pairs with Drew
    vCash

vCash
    Well, I do see on advantage to this book. It's given us something to "chat" about while we wait on US Nationals, Candian Nationals and Europeans.....

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    What I cannot understand (and someone please explain to me) is why did Galina feel the need to totally rework Johnny's jumps? He had beautiful jumps with Priscilla and Galina totally destroyed them.
    His skating went so downhill under her....and I think it was her fault. She tried to remake his skating into someone who wasn't him. Worst coaching change evah.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    What GOE would you give [Johnny's music single]?
    I'm not familiar enough with the rules to say.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    I did get some answers to some questions such as what really happened at Dallas though.
    Really?? Did the book ever say who shot J.R.????

Page 14 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast