Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 817
  1. #221
    drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    c'est genifique!
    Posts
    29,705
    vCash
    325
    Rep Power
    17303
    Quote Originally Posted by mmscfdcsu View Post
    Yes, but it is not good manners to accept large gifts from strangers. Perhaps the guys are preparing for future career of gigalo? It is plain good breeding. The same way every parent makes a kid give an expensive gift back to the boyfriend/girlfriend, because to accept it would show lack of class.
    bit over the top there, innit? Plus - not true. Not every parent makes their child return a $$ spendy gift from their boy/girlfriend. Do teenagers really share that kind of imfo with their parents anyway? I don't think I ever told my mom about presents received from boyfriends in HS

    agree with millyskate that in some cultures that refusing a gift is cause for huge offense.

    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    That was a party organized by Johnny's fans, everyone who attended was asked to chip in to help pay for the food and the rental of the room where the party was held. Johnny's webmaster should had been more clear why it costed money and perhaps offered to treat you.
    The JA person was very sweet, and I don't think she should have offered to treat us. Clearly, to her, it was a very small price to pay (literally!) to get to have a party with JWe. She may have even explained the need for the cost - we just thought that it came across as a paid appearance, like when clubs pay celebrities to show up at their opening to draw a crowd. Which I'm guessing Johnny would love And even though we were Johnny fans, we didn;t think it was our kind of gig.

    OTOH, we TOTALLY would have bought Ryan Bradley dinner and drinks all night to hang out with him
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

  2. #222
    Satisfied skating fan
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Partying with the Skate Gods
    Posts
    39,977
    vCash
    600
    Rep Power
    17334
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    OTOH, we TOTALLY would have bought Ryan Bradley dinner and drinks all night to hang out with him
    and there you have it. I wouldn't pay to see JWe skate, but I'd totally pay to see V/T and would happily treat them to dinner and drinks in the bar. Or MK. It's all in who they are.

    And, sorry to those who hope the book will be a big success, but my local Borders had only a couple of copies and they weren't on display. I had to ask and they had to look it up to see if they had it. The publisher didn't pay extra for display. It's not going to make much money. I hope the publisher gets their money back or they'll recall the books and burn them. JWe can buy them at a discount and sell them himself at events. Wait and you'll be able to buy cheap.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

  3. #223
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    Age
    30
    Posts
    10,878
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mmscfdcsu View Post
    Yes, but it is not good manners to accept large gifts from strangers. Perhaps the guys are preparing for future career of gigalo? It is plain good breeding. The same way every parent makes a kid give an expensive gift back to the boyfriend/girlfriend, because to accept it would show lack of class.
    Um, my parents said nothing when I told them my bf gave me a laptop for Christmas. (Well, I DID offer to pay for it multiple times since it was supposed to be his but he was too lazy to transfer files from his old computer and he let me use it. But he hadn't thought of a separate Christmas present to give me so he thought he'd kill two birds with one stone. )

    In our culture (I'm Chinese), it's rude to just accept a gift. You're supposed to say, "No, you shouldn't have! I can't take it, it's too nice!" and make like you can't accept it, but eventually you do. I think it'd be rude to refuse a gift if someone took the effort and cost to give it to you. But of course you'd thank them profusely and send them a thank you note and all that.

  4. #224
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    Age
    30
    Posts
    10,878
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    And, sorry to those who hope the book will be a big success, but my local Borders had only a couple of copies and they weren't on display. I had to ask and they had to look it up to see if they had it. The publisher didn't pay extra for display. It's not going to make much money. I hope the publisher gets their money back or they'll recall the books and burn them. JWe can buy them at a discount and sell them himself at events. Wait and you'll be able to buy cheap.
    The publishers have to pay to get their books on a shelf at Borders? You learn something new every day!

  5. #225
    Skating Pairs with Drew
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In Uber Rehab
    Posts
    12,171
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Um, my parents said nothing when I told them my bf gave me a laptop for Christmas. (Well, I DID offer to pay for it multiple times since it was supposed to be his but he was too lazy to transfer files from his old computer and he let me use it. But he hadn't thought of a separate Christmas present to give me so he thought he'd kill two birds with one stone. )

    .
    Wow! Different generations for sure. In my time a girl was considered a gold digger if she accepted an expensive gift from someone she was not engaged to. You could never accept a gift of clothing either. Boundary issues. THe lockerrooms were full of adolescent angst at Christmas time with girls wailing about having to give back the necklace or whatever.

  6. #226

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Thankfukky watching skating
    Posts
    13,175
    vCash
    317
    Rep Power
    19704
    When I was in HS, single girls didn't accept pricey gifts from men & the reason given was that it could create an expectation of some form of repayment, ie sex. For older girls/women, this would be ridiculous in many cases, as "repayment" is probably already going on.

    ETA: mmary, we were posting at the same time

  7. #227
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    434
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    thank you! the interview is really interesting and far more mature than the bites of the book already discussed!

    I too didn't like how the excerpt were written, but I think that this kind of writing will be good for a target of teenagers and fans. I don't care if literally is poor, since that's not supposed to be a literature masterpiece, but just a book about a skater for his fan into skating, but not necessarily uber-skating fan.
    For the name-dropping in the preface, it's just a way to make it marketable...if he had started with somthing like "when I put on my first skates..." only a few skating addicted would have gone further..this way maybe it will appeal to a larger public, and it's obviously trying to be the book of the day and he's having fun with it.

    IMO, the worst thing are the comments about USFSA and how he missed some competition due to "stupid" things...
    also, it's not the best way to prepare a comeback

  8. #228
    Satisfied skating fan
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Partying with the Skate Gods
    Posts
    39,977
    vCash
    600
    Rep Power
    17334
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    The publishers have to pay to get their books on a shelf at Borders? You learn something new every day!
    They do to get them displayed in prominent places such as near the entrance. Those are the books most likely to catch the attention. Otherwise, they just get up on a shelf and no body will find them unless you're looking specifically for the book.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

  9. #229
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    667
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mmscfdcsu View Post
    So sad. I remember a time when most of the skaters refused to accept expensive gifts from fans because it was so inappropriate. And he has certainly begged for items he wants by posting that he likes them on his Twitter. Kind of a wink, wink get it for me dummy.
    That's stupid. This happened years ago way before any economic decline. His first trip to Japan. How are you going to look someone, who did such an incredible thing for you, in the eye and refuse her gift?!
    This is what I meant by people taking an excerpt and flipping out about it. That and turning any little anecdote into a complete justification of your opinion that he's a total bastard.

    No one can deny that faking illness because he was in a snit about his costume was immature and inappropriate. And if you actually read the book (it only took me a few hours) he agrees with that assessment.

    The book tells his story warts and all. He does not hold himself blameless for alot of his tribulations.

    As far as Alex is concerned he said that someone had asked to have a pseudonym. I'm thinking it was Alex since he's the only possibility. Johnny complied. So the man knew he'd be in the book but not named. People have been trying to hone in on who he was for years. If you think it's uncool to snoop and figure it out then don't do it and if you do figure it out, that and a buck will get you a cup of coffee.

  10. #230

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,267
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Some books don't always have to pay, but a new author like Weir.. yeah. (For example, I don't think the publisher paid to display the last Harry Potter release, why should they? Those fans would have found it in the basement!)And then there are the "Staff" choices at my local Barnes & Nobel on display near the front. (And based on thier past picks I don't see this making the cut, they tend to be very "literary")

  11. #231

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,267
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by REO View Post
    As far as Alex is concerned he said that someone had asked to have a pseudonym. I'm thinking it was Alex since he's the only possibility. Johnny complied. So the man knew he'd be in the book but not named. People have been trying to hone in on who he was for years. If you think it's uncool to snoop and figure it out then don't do it and if you do figure it out, that and a buck will get you a cup of coffee.
    But then he gave enough details for people to probably figure it out... Just not good IMHO. I am more disappointed in that then the lying to USFSA. I think he may have gotten that back. He complained they didn't support him, but sounds like that went both ways. They don't do "unconditional love"

  12. #232
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    667
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by igniculus View Post
    I've always been sad for these fans. Someone really lost connection to reality. One's love and support for a skster should not be measured by how expensive gifts you give to this person. Not to mention that most of such gifts are not even heartfelt.

    That hissy fit about the costume makes me wanna barf. It's just A COSTUME! This had been always one of my greatest problems with Johnny. What he wears or has worn was always more important for him than the actual act he performed wearing them.
    I think the fans who give these gift give them very whole heartedly. I personally would not do it, but whatever floats your boat. I think they're sweet.

    He considers his costumes as part and parcel of his performance and the story he wants to tell. He skates for the artistic element. It's what is most important to him. That's just how he is and why alot of fans love him. I certainly agree with you that he was wrong to have such an over the top reaction but then in hind sight so does he.

  13. #233

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,328
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2662
    So I walked over to the Borders at Columbus Circle this afternoon where Johnny is doing a book signing tonight at 7. There were about 20 or so copies of his book on the table; I read through it for about 30 minutes. It's pretty superficial-- not just all the name dropping and Balenciaga bag mentions, but superficial in that it's easy to skim, contains no particularly interesting psychological insights and it's entirely chronological.

    Galina comes off like a spoiled child with boundary issues, entitlement issues and a fierce mean streak. There's lots of examples of this, but the one that stood out (that Johnny gleefully recalls) is Johnny at a competition in Japan (the two usually only speak Russian to each other just to piss off USFS officials) she commented that an unnamed American skater "looks like a cow. An American cow."

    Also, Johnny writes about the 2010 Nationals like it was just the worst experience because, as always, EVERYONE WAS AGAINST HIM. He writes that the reason he skated so poorly in the FS was because one of the judges gave him a 3.75 (or something like that) on one of the component marks in the SP. He just couldn't recover from that psychologically, you see. Also, according to Johnny, the only reason he got put on the Olympic team instead of Ryan Bradley was because of his television show and all the backlash leaving him off the team would have caused the USFSA.

    Also, there's a part about firing Priscilla and how his mom did it for him (he was sitting next to her) because, as he quotes his mother, "I hired her, so I'll fire her."

  14. #234
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    Age
    30
    Posts
    10,878
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mmscfdcsu View Post
    Wow! Different generations for sure. In my time a girl was considered a gold digger if she accepted an expensive gift from someone she was not engaged to. You could never accept a gift of clothing either. Boundary issues. THe lockerrooms were full of adolescent angst at Christmas time with girls wailing about having to give back the necklace or whatever.
    Well it certainly was a complicated situation. If I had been surprised with the gift of a brand-spanking new laptop sealed in its box on Christmas (the laptop was used), I would have felt a lot guiltier about it. But with the fact I did offer to pay multiple times, I figure if my bf wants me to have it, I'll let him have the satisfaction.

    And I don't do jewelry. I'm all for utilitarian gifts.

    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    They do to get them displayed in prominent places such as near the entrance. Those are the books most likely to catch the attention. Otherwise, they just get up on a shelf and no body will find them unless you're looking specifically for the book.
    Ah that makes more sense.

  15. #235

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Skateland
    Posts
    7,817
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post
    All the genuine Faberge eggs are catalogued as there are a very limited number of them in the world. I don't think Johnny is on the list as an owner (nor is some random Japanese buyer) - the owners are known and most are in recognized collections. ....
    The House of Faberge made eggs & similar decorative pieces for many aristocrats, not just the Romanovs. Johnny doesn't claim to have one of the 25 or 30 Romanov family eggs that went to the Czar and his immediate family. There definitely are other Faberge eggs of the Imperial era that come up in auctions every now and then (or even in NYC at A La Vieille Russie gallery). The Japanese fan may have bought one of those or even toured the modern House of Faberge in St. Petersburg, where fine reproductions are made using old methods. That said, all of these options are expensive, not to mention the airfare and hotel for the trip. However you cut it, that was one extravagant gift for Johnny. I hope he's taking good care of it.
    Last edited by Frau Muller; 01-11-2011 at 09:39 PM.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

  16. #236
    Hey, Kool-Aid!
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    11,155
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1504
    Quote Originally Posted by REO View Post
    That's stupid. This happened years ago way before any economic decline. His first trip to Japan. How are you going to look someone, who did such an incredible thing for you, in the eye and refuse her gift?!
    This is what I meant by people taking an excerpt and flipping out about it. That and turning any little anecdote into a complete justification of your opinion that he's a total bastard.

    No one can deny that faking illness because he was in a snit about his costume was immature and inappropriate. And if you actually read the book (it only took me a few hours) he agrees with that assessment.

    The book tells his story warts and all. He does not hold himself blameless for alot of his tribulations.

    As far as Alex is concerned he said that someone had asked to have a pseudonym. I'm thinking it was Alex since he's the only possibility. Johnny complied. So the man knew he'd be in the book but not named. People have been trying to hone in on who he was for years. If you think it's uncool to snoop and figure it out then don't do it and if you do figure it out, that and a buck will get you a cup of coffee.
    I don't care about the gifts. The fans who buy them do so because they want to. In one culture or generation it's poor taste to accept, in another it would be poor taste to reject. Some feel he shouldn't drop twitter hints but it doesn't concern me. If a fan is actually forking out that sort of cash for something authentic then I'll assume they can afford it, otherwise it's likely a knockoff and he doesn't see behind the shiny fake label

    Also not interested in Alex.

    What I am interested in is you say he takes responsibility NOW about his costume hissy fit but does he talk more about that season? Looked up an old interview on Goldenskate (think it was Goldenskate) where he blames a flu that took him out of both CoR and NHK. It's on his website biography as well. So if we know he lied about CoR, that he admits he lied about CoR, did he also lie about NHK???

    That's a bigger deal to me than superficial things like gifts and wondering who Alex is. Because I recall quite well all the drama over Dallas and the decision to leave Weir off that Worlds team. People played it up that he was weak and unprepared after that terrible illness he got on the GP series and we know now at least half of that was untrue.

    THose are the only warts I'm interested in and I have a strong feeling he hasn't spoken about all the warts that have knocked him out of competitions.
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

  17. #237
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hungary
    Age
    30
    Posts
    8,291
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by REO View Post
    He considers his costumes as part and parcel of his performance and the story he wants to tell. He skates for the artistic element. It's what is most important to him.
    Then how can for example Lambiel put on completely blank black pants and a simple shirt and still skate breathtakingly beautiful and artistic exhibitions? Artistry does not require over-the-topness. A story does not come alive by his costume: it lives in his movements, in his emotions and how they come across to the audience.

  18. #238

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    47
    Posts
    17,729
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16278
    Quote Originally Posted by REO View Post
    Very true. And perhaps the book does suck. I haven't read it. I will. I just think alot of the people on this site based their opinions of the book on their dislike of the author and really had no idea what information the book contained except for a few quoted lines which pointed up the very things alot of these people think is so wrong about Johnny. I guess one can't be objective or fair if one has issues with him for whatever reason.
    Crap. I would have been interested in reading the book as I enjoyed his TV show (which I saw clips on Youtube). And I thought he was great when he came to Australia - so nice to kids and fans. But it was just so badly written from the excerpt. It did not make me want to read the book.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

  19. #239
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    397
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by marbri View Post
    That's a bigger deal to me than superficial things like gifts and wondering who Alex is. Because I recall quite well all the drama over Dallas and the decision to leave Weir off that Worlds team. People played it up that he was weak and unprepared after that terrible illness he got on the GP series and we know now at least half of that was untrue.

    THose are the only warts I'm interested in and I have a strong feeling he hasn't spoken about all the warts that have knocked him out of competitions.
    Are you sure you don't mix events? Johnny withdrew from 2003 Nats in Dallas. Was there even question about World team then? He was hampered by illness in 2009, got 5th and off the Worlds team, and there was drama about that.

  20. #240

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,267
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    There's always drama... it's the JW way!

Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •