Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

vCash
    The funny thing -- that cover photo! I'm used to Johnny's cross-dress/high-heeled pictures but my husband didn't know what to think when he saw that on my coffee table. ("Honey, you'd better hide that before the Priest comes for Orthodox Xmas meal.")

Another funny photo: Johnny at age 2 or 3 in his favorite Halloween costume, as a miniature version of Big Bird, complete with yellow feathers. Page one of the pics.
    Last edited by Frau Muller; 01-11-2011 at 09:40 PM.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    I've always been sad for these fans. Someone really lost connection to reality. One's love and support for a skster should not be measured by how expensive gifts you give to this person. Not to mention that most of such gifts are not even heartfelt.

That hissy fit about the costume makes me wanna barf. It's just A COSTUME! This had been always one of my greatest problems with Johnny. What he wears or has worn was always more important for him than the actual act he performed wearing them.

Skating Pairs with Drew
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    The funny thing -- that cover photo! I'm used to Johnny's cross-dress/high-heeled pictures but my husband didn't know what to think when he saw that on my coffee table. ("Honey, you'd better hide that before the Priest comes for Orthodox Xmas meal.")

Another funny photo: Johnny at age 2 or 3 in his favorite Halloween costume, as a miniature version of Big Bird, complete with yeallow feathers. Page one of the pics.

You are old enough to have a husband?

Skating Pairs with Drew
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by igniculus View Post
    I've always been sad for these fans. Someone really lost connection to reality. One's love and support for a skster should not be measured by how expensive gifts you give to this person. Not to mention that most of such gifts are not even heartfelt.

Yes, in the old days, the classier skaters would not accept those gifts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Agreed. Including that much information shows a real lack of empathy on Weir's part -- he didn't like the pressure to come out as gay, and now he's effectively trying to out a former partner?

I happen to know who "Alex" is in real life and believe me, Johnny did not give away all the info necesary to identify him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by igniculus View Post

Sorry, another one. (Y'all are inspiring me to remember episodes of the book, which is chock-full of these.)

During another competition in Japan (an NHK or GPF), word got out that Johnny had arrived without his luggage. The local chapter of Johnny's Angels swung into action and bought him all of the toiletries, PJs, Hello Kitty dolls, etc. that he would need.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mmscfdcsu View Post
    You are old enough to have a husband?
    Two, in fact...ah, but the current one is a GEM! The Russian Gent.

vCash
    Sorry, another one. (Y'all are inspiring me to remember episodes of the book, which is chock-full of these.)

During another competition in Japan (an NHK or GPF), word got out that Johnny had arrived without his luggage. The local chapter of Johnny's Angels swung into action and bought him all of the toiletries, PJs, Hello Kitty dolls, etc. that he would need.
    Well, that was very generous and thoughtful of them, but I'm not sure a Hello Kitty doll is something that people "need" when their luggage is lost. (Not criticizing you for telling the story, just making an observation on what the fans thought Johnny's priorities were.)
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    I would never even consider giving an expensive gift to someone I did not know personally. I met Johnny four times and each time I tried to give him a gift I thought he could use, a Starbucks gift card, a calendar, a coffee mug and last year a gift card to Whole Foods.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by REO View Post
    I guess one can't be objective or fair if one has issues with him for whatever reason.
    I suppose you think it's completely possible for those who love him so madly that he can do no wrong in their eyes to be completely fair and objective.

Johnny promised some "bombs" in his book and he certainly delivered. The bit about Michael Weiss is nothing, IMO, to what he writes about the controlling attempts by USFSA.
    If you think those are "bombs" then you aren't very familiar with how USFS operates.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    .....If you think those are "bombs" then you aren't very familiar with how USFS operates.
    Maybe in the Ritter Shumway days but I had assumed that they'd progressed a bit in the new millennium.

vCash
    Mirai has stated that she hopes she gets expensive gifts at the olympics like Evan has. She said he once got a Cartier watch.
    Many of the skaters get these kinds of gifts. I'm sure some of the skaters can't deny the gifts as some cultures find that to be rude.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Johnny is all about Johnny and part of his whole persona has always been the I'm-so-victimized card. Whether it's USFS or anyone else, the bottom line is that, according to Johnny, no one understands him or respects him.

People work for years-- decades, sometimes-- on real memoirs. This is clearly not a heartfelt, thougtfully-conceived memoir, just another product to be pushed out and milked for more media attention in conjunction with his ridiculous single and whatever other crossover success he's looking for. I seriously doubt he wrote it without some very heavy editing/ghostwriting. Between all his traveling and fame-whoring and star-fu*king these past 10 months, I have no idea when he would have had time to spend more than a few hours on this book here or there.

The Cup of Russia thing is just obnoxious beyond belief.
    Right. I think some people just have defensive and/or paranoid personalities, where everyone's out to get them. Growing up takes care of most of that, but it's hard to say whether he's learned from it.

Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    PML at Nats last year we sat by a woman who does Johnny's website (or something - she does genuinely know him, he skated directly over to her during the victory lap and gave her his flowers). She invited us to go to a party where he would be after the men's comeptition, saying we could get in because we were with her. She then mentioned that it would cost us only (I can't remember how much - $25? $50?) for entry. Er.....non.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    I would never even consider giving an expensive gift to someone I did not know personally. I met Johnny four times and each time I tried to give him a gift I thought he could use, a Starbucks gift card, a calendar, a coffee mug and last year a gift card to Whole Foods.
    Seriously, good for you. I am sure most skaters would appreciate those sorts of gifts more than yet another stuffed animal.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Skating Pairs with Drew
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DickButtonFan View Post
    Mirai has stated that she hopes she gets expensive gifts at the olympics like Evan has. She said he once got a Cartier watch.
    Many of the skaters get these kinds of gifts. I'm sure some of the skaters can't deny the gifts as some cultures find that to be rude.

Yes, but it is not good manners to accept large gifts from strangers. Perhaps the guys are preparing for future career of gigalo? It is plain good breeding. The same way every parent makes a kid give an expensive gift back to the boyfriend/girlfriend, because to accept it would show lack of class.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    PML at Nats last year we sat by a woman who does Johnny's website (or something - she does genuinely know him, he skated directly over to her during the victory lap and gave her his flowers). She invited us to go to a party where he would be after the men's comeptition, saying we could get in because we were with her. She then mentioned that it would cost us only (I can't remember how much - $25? $50?) for entry. Er.....non.

That was a party organized by Johnny's fans, everyone who attended was asked to chip in to help pay for the food and the rental of the room where the party was held. Johnny's webmaster should had been more clear why it costed money and perhaps offered to treat you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mmscfdcsu View Post
    Yes, but it is not good manners to accept large gifts from strangers. .
    That depends on the culture.
    To some, refusing a gift is the worst offence.

vCash
    All the genuine Faberge eggs are catalogued as there are a very limited number of them in the world. I don't think Johnny is on the list as an owner (nor is some random Japanese buyer) - the owners are known and most are in recognized collections. If he really has the real thing I would be surprised. That said, if he does have a genuine egg that Faberge made for the Romanovs then he will have something valuable to sell when all of this 'what's the point of this?" self-promotion leaves him with nothing to do in his 30s and 40s. He may need it then.
    Last edited by Willowway; 01-11-2011 at 08:27 PM.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    ...I don't give gifts to people I don't know personally, unless you count chartiable donations to small-scale operations. Not Fabrege eggs, not Starbucks cards.

ETA: Take that back, I gave John Kovalic (who draws Dork Tower, among others) a Christmas bulb with one of his characters on it. Okay, he's a friend of a friend and it was networking as well, but I don't know him to hang out with or anything.

And IIRC, in the old days, accepting a gift like that put your eligibility at risk. I seem to recall Barbara Ann Scott having to give a car back (it was a gift from her town or some such for winning Worlds, iirc) because she would have lost her eligibility for taking a payment.

vCash
    Weir, who is not skating competitively this season, sat down with ESPN.com's Bonnie D. Ford on Monday to talk about his book and his future in the sport. The following are excerpts from that conversation.
    Includes video: Q&A with figure skater Johnny Weir

Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast