Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Michael made the comment about "junior skaters" at 03 Nats when Johnny finished 2nd in the sp. I doubt that he said it to Johnny but rather to the media.

A friend got the book for me for xmas and it came yesterday..hopefully, she'll get through the snow to get it to me.

vCash
    I have met Michael Weiss and was struck by how tiny he was, hardly hulking, LOL. And he was a sweetheart to my mom, who was babbling away and star struck. Everyone who skated in our club's show with him said he was super nice.

Can't wait to read this book, I wonder if my local library is getting it. Are there dirty parts, LOL, hope not or they may not stock it.

vCash
    Pretty clean in what I've read so far, except for a bit of profanity. Nothing graphic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    It's possible that Weiss is nice to fans and a ---- to his competitors.
    Then Johnny should specify why he thinks Michael is classless. Otherwise, why should anyone take his remarks seriously? And "idiot"? There's a difference between frank but respectful criticism and snarking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    If Johnny thinks Michael Weiss is "big and hulking", Johnny must be smaller than he looks.
    Yeah, I have stood next to Weiss.. "big and hulking" Well.. at 5'5" I think I was taller and "hulking"? Maybe someone should introduce Weir to a football player to give him some perspective on that statement

Honestly, I expected this. Not attack on "Weiss" exactly but for Weir to use his book to "throw" stones at folks who weren't his friends or whom he "thinks" USFSA gave "his titles" too... Kind of

One of the reasons I will wait until this hits the "bargin bin" (and honestly considering the "popularity" of skating in the US right now that may happen sooner then we would like!) '

Here's the thing... I doubt that Weir would want everything HE has done in the presence of his competitors disclosed.... he might should have thought about that. Sometimes you reap what you sow. I have a feeling Evan alone has some great "stories" LOL! I think that perhaps what happens in those "locker" rooms should stay there for everyone's best interest. By telling all you may make Weiss etc. look bad, but you don't make yourself look that good either to most Americans. (And am I the only person old enough to remember Summers and Witt telling about who rude they used to be to each other in the waiting areas etc... part of the 'psych' out game. But they went on to become what appeared to be good friends)

I am sitting here watching one of the most "admired" athletes from my Alma Mater (Peyton Manning) warm up... and even he has "locker room horror stories" Things just happen in the heat of these type of events.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by neptune View Post
    Then Johnny should specify why he thinks Michael is classless. Otherwise, why should anyone take his remarks seriously?
    Agreed. Back up your statements if you want to make them convincing. That said, I've known people who are perfectly nice in a social environment but can be real a**holes in a competitive situation.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by neptune View Post
    Then Johnny should specify why he thinks Michael is classless. Otherwise, why should anyone take his remarks seriously? And "idiot"? There's a difference between frank but respectful criticism and snarking.
    He may have.. you aren't getting the ENTIRE book here

vCash
    Here's the thing... I doubt that Weir would want everything HE has done in the presence of his competitors disclosed.... he might should have thought about that. Sometimes you reap what you sow. I have a feeling Evan alone has some great "stories" LOL! I think that perhaps what happens in those "locker" rooms should stay there for everyone's best interest.
    Here's the thing...Weiss made a derogatory comment in public, to the press...as was stated up thread.
    Its not "locker-room" gossip, AFAIK.

vCash
    I doubt that Weir would want everything HE has done in the presence of his competitors disclosed.... he might should have thought about that.
    Right you are. But I have the sneaking suspicion that Weir's key competitors have (as Musesk8tr said many posts ago) put old news behind them, are classy (to put it in Johnny's terms) enough not to bother responding, and actually have better things to do than deal with this swat at, in this case, Weiss' reputation (please see other new thread about the Foundation grants for 2011 which sorta puts things in perspective).

As you say, this will find it's way to the remainder bin in time and it will take with it a little bit more of Weir's dignity. When he says these things, it is at his own expense in the end. Be fun, be out, love style, dress wild but don't become the "classless" guy in the room, just be the interesting guy in the room; outrageous/original (think David Bowie or someone like that who has been a complete original) does not equal classless but Johnny doesn't always seem to get that. He was a lovely skater but that too seems to be a thing of the past.
    Last edited by Willowway; 01-09-2011 at 02:42 AM.

vCash
    That said, I've known people who are perfectly nice in a social environment but can be real a**holes in a competitive situation.
    Oh, yes. Many people are excellent chameleons. My sister had a roommate once who I thought was the nicest person on earth. Well, it turns out that she was simply a very good actress.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    He may have.. you aren't getting the ENTIRE book here
    Well, in a few days, I'm sure someone on here will have already read the whole thing. They can fill us in.

Watch me move
    vCash
    I found this on GoldenSkate, from a 2004 interview with Weiss:
    (http://www.goldenskate.com/articles/2003/051604.shtml)

Latara: Why did you say such bad things about Johnny Weir and Matt Savoie's skating at last year's nationals?

Mike: I have a lot of respect for my competitors. I know the hard work that is put in to compete at this level and I would not intentionally put down another skaters hard work. Sometimes the press will interpret things differently than intended, and that is part of our sport.

I am not sure what was written, but what I said when asked how Johnny and Matt's programs would compare to others technically at the World Championships, I replied that artistically they are as good as anyone at Worlds. They are both strong spinners and have good footwork. But technically, at Junior Worlds you can win with a triple Axel. Not at Worlds. You need a quad in the short program to compete for a medal.

Somehow that was construed as me saying their skating was "Junior-ish" and that I felt I should have been ahead of them. I did not feel that way at all. They skated better than me that night.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    wow,I never thought Michael Weiss will be the first big name in the book in this way

any more details about the book?

and could you please tell me about the withdraw for GPF thing?

vCash
    I am not sure what was written, but what I said when asked how Johnny and Matt's programs would compare to others technically at the World Championships, I replied that artistically they are as good as anyone at Worlds. They are both strong spinners and have good footwork. But technically, at Junior Worlds you can win with a triple Axel. Not at Worlds. You need a quad in the short program to compete for a medal.
    That makes sense. But does anyone have a quote of what Mike actually said to the press at the time? Perhaps his words were more blunt and thus easy to misinterpret.

Somehow that was construed as me saying their skating was "Junior-ish" and that I felt I should have been ahead of them. I did not feel that way at all. They skated better than me that night.
    Wait a minute--Mike did finish ahead of Savoie, didn't he?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    Here's the thing... I doubt that Weir would want everything HE has done in the presence of his competitors disclosed.... he might should have thought about that. Sometimes you reap what you sow. I have a feeling Evan alone has some great "stories" LOL!
    Well, if Evan could spell, he would write his own book, with his set of stories. Until then...

vCash
    I doubt if Evan write a book,he won't mention Johnny a lot,he's keeping avoid talk about Johnny in his interviews...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by psycho View Post
    Well, if Evan could spell, he would write his own book, with his set of stories. Until then...
    One doesn't need to know how to spell to write a book. Heck, one needn't really know anything to write a book these days. Didn't Snooki from Jersey Shore just release a novel?

vCash
    I found this on GoldenSkate, from a 2004 interview with Weiss:
    (http://www.goldenskate.com/articles/2003/051604.shtml)
    Did Michael Weiss ever land a clean, ratified quad in competition? I can't remember one.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarity View Post
    One doesn't need to know how to spell to write a book. Heck, one needn't really know anything to write a book these days....
    Yeah, nowadays it seems that everybody has "written" a book. Somehow being the author of a book doesn't carry quite the same cachet as it used to.

Title-less
    vCash
    Did Michael Weiss ever land a clean, ratified quad in competition? I can't remember one.
    He has landed two: one during 2000 worlds short, the other one I think at 2005 world.

vCash
    Hmmm. Okay, thanks. His quad comment in the interview made it sound like more than just two.

Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast