Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Mao Refines Jumps by Getting Back to Basics

http://www.asahi.com/english/TKY201102030440.html

I'd like to see a clip of that spin!

vCash
    This has got me excited for Four Continents! I can't wait to see her spins.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Mai talks about going drinking with Mao.

"Mao hasn't changed much even though she just turned 20," Mai says. "She's pretty normal, but kind of quirky. The one time we drank alcohol together, Mao got really excited and gave me a long lecture. Then she suddenly fell asleep. It was really funny.

vCash
    Go Mao! She sounds calm and determined.
    Did the article mean an 104 revolution spin? Wow.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Can't wait to see the new and improved Mao! Do we get 4CC coverage in the US?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Last year it was on Universal Sports and because there are Americans involved I am sure they will air it. I think the only reason Europeans was on last year was because it was the Olympic season as I don't see any schedule to air that in February. Are they going to show it in March when its over a month old? Though they air many things weeks and months after they happen so maybe.

vCash
    Go Mao! I'm glad to hear Arakawa is proving an inspiration.

vCash
    Can't wait for the 4CC. There Japanese skaters going against three U.S ladies head to head. Who will be on the podium?? I think it will the last chance for them to impress the judges. Just sad that Mirai is not going to the world.

vCash
    Were all three of her axels at Nationals good ones?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    They'd better be. Otherwise what's the point of reworking her technique?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderlen View Post
    Can't wait for the 4CC. There Japanese skaters going against three U.S ladies head to head. Who will be on the podium?? I think it will the last chance for them to impress the judges. Just sad that Mirai is not going to the world.
    Yes, but i think Mirai would like to end the season on a high and I tnink she will do well

vCash
    goo mao... can't wait too see 4cc hope it will be aired on the internet... and I would really like to see that spins... 104 that's really amazing... this article made me sooo excitet... now the count down beginns!

vCash
    Am I the only one who feels Mao has finally got the right coach/mentor for her who has his base in Japan and finally got on the right path? I am looking forward to watching Mao in the coming years.

Mai's comments:
    "This season, Mao began fixing her jumps from scratch. I don't think she's feeling a sense of urgency. I'm glad she was finally able to produce results at the nationals.

"For Mao, this season isn't her entire career. She's thinking about the future. This is just the beginning toward the next Olympics, so I'd like her to take her time and slowly improve her condition."
    Last edited by galaxy; 02-05-2011 at 08:23 AM.

vCash
    There's a nice quote about Asada by Takahiko Kozuka in this Japan Times article about him: http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-b...0110130it.html
    Instead of the move being a distraction, Kozuka has found inspiration in skating with Mao.

"Mao is the reigning world champion and the effort she displays in workouts illustrates why she deserves to be the champion," he said. "Watching her motivates me to work hard. After practice we talk, but not special topics."

With Sato being based at the Shin-Yokohama Skate Center, Kozuka and Mao alternate training between there and Nagoya.

vCash
    Thanks for posting this article link. I like Mai Asada's quote at the end about her sister:
    "For Mao, this season isn't her entire career. She's thinking about the future. This is just the beginning toward the next Olympics, so I'd like her to take her time and slowly improve her condition."

vCash
    It sounds like Mao has a really great support base. I can't wait to see her at 4CC and Worlds.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    It sounds like Mao has a really great support base.
    I agree. I read a couple of months ago that Sato devided both Kozuka's and her programs into several parts and made them take turns and skate each part. First Kozuka, his first part, then Mao, her first part. Kozuka, his second part, next Mao, her second part. She said that it had been an extremely hard training for her before, but she became used to it later.

vCash
    I wish all coaches took this kind of approach and didn't just think of the short-term results.

vCash
    I would love it if Nobou Sato coached a skater to OGM. He seems like one of the best coaches out there. I guess one has to be if they gave Yuka those kinds of skating skills. Her kind of knees and edge quality has never been matched yet, IMO.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I would love it if Nobou Sato coached a skater to OGM. He seems like one of the best coaches out there. I guess one has to be if they gave Yuka those kinds of skating skills. Her kind of knees and edge quality has never been matched yet, IMO.
    Kozuka's skating skills are incredible too (although I think he trained with his parents before).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast