Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Time Travel Movies

I recently saw the movie 'Somewhere in time' and loved it. Actually I had seen it years earlier and liked it a lot, but this time I enjoyed it more, noticing a lot of details that I missed the first time. The music (by John Barry) in it has been my favorite for years.

That made me wonder about time travel movies. This movie was heavily criticized, from what I heard, for the time travel concept. However, other time travel movies have been made and been successful to various extents.

The others I can think of are:

Kate & Leopold (I liked this)

Time traveler's wife (did not like at all)

Back to the future (did not see, but I have heard about it)

There are movies that are shown out of sequence, but I don't consider them time travel movies. I am sure there are more time travel movies, but I can't think of any. Netflix had a list but I was not familiar with any of those- obviously not famous.

vCash
    Some that I've seen:

Timecrimes (Spanish film, originally titled Los cronocrímenes). A good movie.

Terminator films (1&2 were excellent, 3 was mediocre, I didn't watch 4 because the reviews were so bad).

Donnie Darko - another excellent movie.

Happy Accidents and Deja Vu - both mediocre. I can't remember much of either movie, which is not a good thing.

Peggy Sue Got Married - entertaining.

vCash
    Last edited by Kevin C; 01-08-2011 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Removed duplicate reply.

vCash
    Kate & Leopold is one of my favourites!

Timeline (from Crichton's book, never seen the film, but I liked the book)

vCash
    Two versions of The Time Machine based on the H.G. Wells novel.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin C View Post
    Donnie Darko - another excellent movie.

Happy Accidents and Deja Vu - both mediocre. I can't remember much of either movie, which is not a good thing.
    Never heard of Happy Accidents.

I liked Deja Vu more than Donnie Darko, which was too confusing for me.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Some good ones at allmovie.com (which has links to genres of movies with similar themes):

All Movie Time Travel Films

...we forgot to mention Planet Of The Apes! I LOVED that one as a kid!

I think we are coming up with a much better list than this one:

Top 10 Time Travel Movies

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin C View Post
    I LOVED "Deja Vu". But then I think anything with Denzel Washington in it is always 100% entertaining.

Deja Vu Trailer - also starring Val Kilmer, James Caviezel, Adam Goldberg, Bruce Greenwood, Matt Craven, Elle Fanning and Paula Patton ("Precious")...directed by Tony Scott

Quote Originally Posted by kia_4EverOnIce View Post
    Timeline (from Crichton's book, never seen the film, but I liked the book)
    Timeline was decent. But not as good as Deja Vu...

Timeline trailer - starring Paul Walker, Gerard Butler, Michael Sheen, Billy Connolly, David Thewlis and....Matt Craven (does he only do time-travel movies??)

ETA: Lots listed at Wiki!

Wikipedia's Time Travel Movie List
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I've had the dvd for Time after Time in my "to watch" pile for months. Maybe I'll finally get to it this weekend

There is also an animated Japanese film I just saw a few weeks ago about a school girl who can jump back brief periods of time and her two friends, but I can't recall the name of it now.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    The butterfly effect - starring Ashton Kutcher and Amy Smart.

3D Animation - Meet the Robinsons

Japanese Anime (There are actually many series with time travel theme/element, but these two are the ones I can think of that are standalone movies. Probably not what you're looking for though )
    Akira
    Toki o Kakeru Shoujo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I LOVED "Deja Vu". But then I think anything with Denzel Washington in it is always 100% entertaining.
    So that's two recommendations for Deja Vu against Kevin C's opposite opinion.

But just a heads-up that the time travel is only a matter of a few days, not between different eras. It's primarily a thriller.

vCash
    Off the top

Frequency with Dennis Quaid and I think the name was TimeCop? with Jean-Claude Van Damme.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kia_4EverOnIce View Post
    Kate & Leopold is one of my favourites!
    Me too! Let's see...Hugh Jackman in late Victorian garb and riding a horse....who else was in the movie??? No, I know Meg Ryan was in it, but I don't think I looked at anyone besides the pulchritudinous Mr. Jackman. Hugh is so much prettier than Meg! (Especially in that movie-she looked terrible and her potty mouth did nothing for her, either.)

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skate Talker View Post
    Frequency with Dennis Quaid
    I loved Frequency!
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    I didn't like Kate & Leopold as a movie, though I really liked Hugh Jackman in it. But Meg Ryan was pretty bad, and I think she had the single worst haircut I've ever seen in a movie.

The Time Machine (2002) was pretty bad, but I remember it had one gorgeous shot of the crumbled-up moon in the sky. I think that one shot was pretty nearly the only good thing in it!

Oh, and I loved Frequency too.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Just want to add my endorsements for Deja Vu, Frequency, and The Butterfly Effect.

And you've gotta see Back to the Future. Time travel aside, it's just a classic.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Wasn't the message of "Kate & Leopold" that a woman is nothing without a man? Or that the only good male on the planet is one that existed hundreds upon hundreds of years ago? I saw this movie years ago with my best female friend, and while we thought it was a well-done movie with a likeable cast, the overall them really put us off...
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Wasn't the message of "Kate & Leopold" that a woman is nothing without a man?
    yeah, maybe the message is a bit of a Disney for grown up girls, let's say Cinderella-updated? But from a female POV I saw Hugh Jackman...and then yeah, there was also the film, nice story, ...

vCash
    I also thought Donnie Darko was excellent. But completely not like Kate and Leopold or Back to the Future . But if you want something darker and more creepy, it can't be beat.

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    12 Monkeys! AMAAZING movie

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I didn't like Kate & Leopold as a movie, though I really liked Hugh Jackman in it. But Meg Ryan was pretty bad, and I think she had the single worst haircut I've ever seen in a movie.
    Was Meg ever any good, really, in anything? Maybe as the officer's wife in Top Gun...

The Time Machine (2002) was pretty bad, but I remember it had one gorgeous shot of the crumbled-up moon in the sky. I think that one shot was pretty nearly the only good thing in it!
    I didn't mind it; the concept of it I found fascinating; the improvements in F/X helped to realize the fantasticism of Wells' vision, much more so than the 60s version with Rod Taylor (but Taylor was ; I admit to a crush on him). Guy Pearce looked so sickly in the film; IIRC, there were rumors of an eating disorder.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast