Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight1 View Post
    Who was it that said the smartest person is the one that knows how stupid they really are? It is a quote but can't remember who said it...
    Socrates? Scio me nihil scire = I know myself that I know nothing (to that degree)

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    I will forever be a student.
    I hope this is me.

I had 5 years of university studying art history. It served me as naught for marrying the wrong man and having a decade of misery until I figured out how to be not just happy but productive and loving life when I was about 30. Everyone is different...but formal education can or can not be a deciding factor.

I hope to be reading and studying about things I love until I die with a book in one hand and my computer mouse in the other.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasperBoy View Post
    I just said to Mr JB today....I learn more from FSU than from the CBC website. Breaking "hard" news always appears here first. Pop culture news is discussed, and that's the only way I would know about it. As for discussions about egg cups...where else?
    Want travel advice? Need to chose a college? Baby colicky? FSU's the place for you.
    It's so true. I come here for breaking news too! And when I tell others where I heard it... on a figure skating forum... they laugh at me!

My husband, on the other hand, has come to value the resource. When there's a hot topic we want to know more about he'll often ask me "what are they saying on your skating page?" And he's REALLY smart!

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    IMO, a degree doesn't necessarily make you more intelligent, but it does make you more marketable. Also, it does (generally) make you better at working without supervision, and therefore more suited to management-type and/or decision making posititons.

I've met plenty of narrow minded people with degrees, and plenty of curious people without degrees who would probably thrive in college if they could just afford it.

I have a BS ( ) in political science and an MPA (masters in public administration). In my professional career, I have earned a certification as a professional municipal treasurer and am working on the certification for a professional public finance officer. Both certifications are great learning tools in the practical application of my field because they involve classes, both on line and regular, as well as testing.

The day I stop learning, please put me out to pasture.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Last edited by bardtoob; 01-08-2011 at 09:09 AM.

vCash
    I have a BA and I'm intending on getting a Master's. My dad has an MBA; most people in his family have a PhD. I have no interest in that much schooling. Just for fun I'm taking two courses at the community college this coming semester: French and Linguistic Anthropology.

Education level does not necessarily mean you're smart, definitely.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OrioleBeagle View Post
    While reading these boards I have noticed that a lot of you are VERY intelligent. (Only being a high school graduate I sometimes feel stupid when I am visiting this website.) I'm curious how many of you are college students, have graduated college, have advanced degrees or are simply a high school graduate (like me).
    OrioleBeagle, you should not feel "stupid" at all. There is no correlation between intelligence (it's how you define it) and academic education. I have a Ph.D. in Engineering and an MBA, but I know people who have no college degree, yet they are very intelligent. I have also met people who had college degrees but were not particularly intelligent.

Believe in yourself. You have a lot to contribute.

INTJ
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    That's what makes a person smart to me--wanting to learn and making it a point to try. You don't need to go to school for that.
    Agreed. My grandfather only got through grade six but because of his natural curiousity about people and things and his incessant reading of non-fiction he had an amazing breadth of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    And I think that's why FSUers come off so intelligent as a whole. For the most part we've lived a little and aren't just the typical inexperienced teenagers who populate a good deal of the web. I always say that if you have a question, no matter how random, someone here will know the answer!
    I agree with this too. I think a lot of what makes FSUers as a whole seem intelligent is that there are a lot of well-read and well-travelled people on this board. I also think that because there are so many varied backgrounds and sets of knowledge it can seem like FSU knows all. The collective knowledge of FSU is kind of overwhelming. Most of us though are really just knowledgeable about a few things. (except Prancer... She seems to know all) I've just learned that there are some things that I shouldn't argue about, lol. Like grammar... Instead I now read and learn

To answer your question though I'm in my second year of a Bachelor of Science in Psychology.
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I have a PhD, but the level of one's education does not make one intelligent, nor are people who have only a high school education or who didn't even get that far, stupid. Never think your level of formal education makes you either smart or stupid.
    Excellent!

I worked alongside a chemist who had the same attitude. One of the production workers was talking to him one day and told him he wasn't smart like him. The chemist told him, "I'm not smarter than you, I'm just more educated than you." He said it in a matter of fact way that meant he was no better than the other fellow, just that he'd had more schooling. No big deal. I was very impressed with that attitude.

vCash
    Master's degree in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages). Still trying to figure out the intricacies of CoP (admittedly not too patient with that) and becoming more computer literate. There's always something new to learn!

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    This is disturbing as you are describing me. I certainly no Einstein but I can't figure out simple numbers, get lost on the regular basis (the GPS in my car literally changed my life!) and have to sing the ABC song. However, I am not at all proud of any of the above and consider them shortcomings. How is this a good thing?
    I suck at math, although I can figure out exactly how much something 40% off will be when I'm shopping. I always get left and right wrong, sometimes even when I'm looking at my hands, and have to sing the ABC song to myself. I do have a good sense of direction. I do well at things that are important to me and ignore those that aren't.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    I'm bad at calculations, but I'm really good at equations and geometrics.

Someone once told me (in a condescending way) that the reason I often went the wrong way in Manhattan was because most men navigate by direction (N/S/E/W) and women navigate by landmarks. It's definitely true in my case. When I'm lost and I see something familiar, I instantly relax thinking "It's okay, I've been lost here before." My family says that it's not a trip until mommy makes a u-turn. When I made 49 u-turns in a two-day period (different city, renumbered exits, Mapquest errors), DH bought me a GPS because I was ending up in scary places.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    I have a BS in business economics. I know, great acronym for a social science degree based on assumptions.

The board as a whole seems to be fairly well read and well spoken. You don't need a formal degree to read and speak properly.

There is very little text speak on this board and I think that also helps us appear more "high brow".

My 13 yo still can not tell her left from her right. Thankfully she has a small mole on the top of her left hand so that helps her. I am constantly saying to her, "Look to the right. No, your other right."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OrioleBeagle View Post
    While reading these boards I have noticed that a lot of you are VERY intelligent. (Only being a high school graduate I sometimes feel stupid when I am visiting this website.) I'm curious how many of you are college students, have graduated college, have advanced degrees or are simply a high school graduate (like me).
    I have a B.A. in English, although I really attended the college I did because I wanted to become a teacher of the blind/visually impaired. To say my relationship with my Education Dept. advisor (and teacher of the VI courses) was contentious would be an understatement.

I eventually found my niche as a secretary/uber-multitasker with the company I've worked for the past 8.5 years. I did try to get into a civil service exam for Secretarial a few years ago, but they didn't let me in because I don't have a degree(??) in Secretarial. Bullshit says I, because the most important skills, being highly orgranized and possessing attention to detail, are things you can't learn from any class.

vCash
    This is a really interesting thread. Case in point of what one can discuss and learn about on FSU. My own definition of intelligence is based on what you do with what you are given. I see people who take every advantage of the skills (modest or prodigious) and opportunities (veiled or obvious) that they are given--they are the smart ones. Others waste their efforts, don't see doors opening, stay in ruts--not so smart. It doesn't even have to do with IQ.

I have a masters in public administration and I work for an organization of physicists, all of them PhDs and here and there a Nobel prize winner. So I can fairly say that I know what smart is. My companion, who struggled to get through high school, has a voracious intellect, the richest personal library I know of, a bear trap memory, and a killer sense of humor. He can and has held his own with the brightest physicists.

Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    A friend of mine shared once in a get-together how he didn't realize a guy was making a pass at him till he was practically stroking his privates. Others found it incredible that he didn't clue in before then, but I found it entirely reasonable.
    I have a little button I got at a meeting that says "Flirt harder, I'm a physicist."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    This is disturbing as you are describing me. I certainly no Einstein but I can't figure out simple numbers, get lost on the regular basis (the GPS in my car literally changed my life!) and have to sing the ABC song. However, I am not at all proud of any of the above and consider them shortcomings. How is this a good thing?
    I'm the same way. I also have to sing the alphabet song and I can't remember my left and right side to save my life (I have to think "m_m, your heart is on your left side" to help me remember left and right). I also still don't know how to drive despite being 26 (soon to be 27). Ordinary tasks that should be so easy can be so hard.

I feel really stupid most of the time despite graduating from college magna cum laude and being labeled "gifted" as a child.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    IMO, a degree doesn't necessarily make you more intelligent, but it does make you more marketable.
    Agree. Part of intelligence is being able to figure out what credentials you need for the life you want.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    I have two bachelors' degrees and a master's degree. If I were really intelligent, I'd have only the second bachelor's and the master's, but it took me some time to work out what I wanted to do.

Some of the dumbest people I know went to uni. It doesn't matter what level of education you've obtained, if you want to learn more, then go out and learn. Read good newspapers, watch reliable new channels, go and and buy magazines like The Economist, Time and Newsweek.

Travel. Take up a new language. There's a whole big world out there and nothing to stop us from seeing it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    There's a whole big world out there and nothing to stop us from seeing it
    Maybe not for you, but plenty of people have a lot to stop them. Jobs, family commitments, personal finances, health problems, a disability.

Travelling does not make one intelligent. It's very easy to travel and not learn anything from the new culture, people and geographic location; I see it all the time. Meeting new people in your own neighbourhood is often just as useful for learning as travelling further abroad.

And talking to your next-door neighbour or local teacher, dentist, doctor, shop keeper etc. is just as good as reading any of the magazines you listed IMO. I know some who read all of them religiously and they have that "knowledge" but no skills to debate, discuss or add to it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    . . . Travelling does not make one intelligent. It's very easy to travel and not learn anything from the new culture, people and geographic location; I see it all the time. . . .
    Like a friend's grandma used to say, "you can take a jackass all around the world, but when it gets back, it's still a jackass."

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast