Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Counting change or figuring out directions should be general knowledge for everyone. Some people have better spatial awareness than others, but I'm not sure if that's learned or innate.
    I know people who routinely get lost a few blocks from their house despite having lived there 10+ years. They also happen to have PhDs.

Rumor had it that Einstein could never count change correctly. I know some scientists with PhDs who actually take pride in not being able to count--it's considered a lower-level skill and not one associated with academic brilliance. By the same token, I know many professors in the humanities who delight in not being able to remember the alphabet correctly. They literally have to sing the ABC song to alphabetize correctly.

vCash
    Everyone has already said pretty much everything about education =/= intelligence so I'll just answer the question.

I have a BA in Mathematics and I'm a semester in to an MS in Biostatistics.

vCash
    Okay because it was bugging me...

‘The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.’- Socrates...
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    Rumor had it that Einstein could never count change correctly. I know some scientists with PhDs who actually take pride in not being able to count--it's considered a lower-level skill and not one associated with academic brilliance. By the same token, I know many professors in the humanities who delight in not being able to remember the alphabet correctly. They literally have to sing the ABC song to alphabetize correctly.
    My dad has had a PhD in computer science longer than I've been alive (way back when it wasn't very popular at all) and has worked as a programmer for his entire career. He still types with his index fingers, and is by far the slowest typer in our family. He says you should be doing more thinking instead of typing when you write good code.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I know people who routinely get lost a few blocks from their house despite having lived there 10+ years. They also happen to have PhDs.

This is disturbing as you are describing me. I certainly no Einstein but I can't figure out simple numbers, get lost on the regular basis (the GPS in my car literally changed my life!) and have to sing the ABC song. However, I am not at all proud of any of the above and consider them shortcomings. How is this a good thing?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I just said to Mr JB today....I learn more from FSU than from the CBC website. Breaking "hard" news always appears here first. Pop culture news is discussed, and that's the only way I would know about it. As for discussions about egg cups...where else?
    Want travel advice? Need to chose a college? Baby colicky? FSU's the place for you.

As for education. I have a BA and a community college degree DOA. Yes, that's right.
    Mr. JB has a PhD and no street smarts. He's one of those guys who is so smart he's dumb. But that's OK, I still love him.

vCash
    My aunt has a PhD and is head dean for her department and also has to look at her hands to remember which is left and which is right. She loves to joke around about it.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    That's what makes a person smart to me--wanting to learn and making it a point to try. You don't need to go to school for that.
    This is so true.

My dad is the sort of person who will hear something in passing or read a blurb in a newspaper, and think to himself "hmm, I don't know very much about this topic..." and head off to wikipedia. He didn't attend middle or high school but is able to hold his own on so many topics because he's naturally curious wants to learn everything he can. He'll never give up on a riddle - he'll literally spend weeks thinking about it. (This used to drive me crazy when I was little and dying to tell him the punch line )

My mom is the complete opposite. She went to the top university in the country and holds a law degree, but has no interest in learning anything new at all. She's not stupid - just doesn't care to try. One of the things that has been really frustrating for me is trying to get her to learn how to use the basic functions of her cell phone (change from vibrate to sound, set an alarm, etc). She knows those things are necessary, but refuses to learn and just gets someone else to do it. Once she'd just gotten a new phone and wanted me to set it up for her; I asked her to just play around with it, and if she needed help with anything, I'd pitch in. I really wanted her to just try. But I came back five minutes later and there was my sister, busily clicking away while my mom paid no attention.

The next day she drove for thirty minutes to pick me up from a place where I wasn't while I called, nonstop, for thirty minutes, to tell her I wasn't there. When she finally picked up and saw 50 missed calls she said well, I didn't hear it because it was on vibrate, and that's how it came from the factory, so I didn't know how to change it. Did she want to learn how? No.

So yeah, my dad has way less formal education than my mom does... but that's no measure of intelligence, whatsoever.

P.S. To answer the original question, I have a BS in biology. I also have to look at my hands to tell which is left from right.

vCash
    I will forever be a student. I think formal education has given me more questions than answers, especially in my fields (linguistics and special education) and I like that. I love learning and for me formal education is fabulous because I can always practically apply it to my work - I work with special needs children with multiple linguistic backgrounds.

I am the kind of person who studies for enjoyment as much as anything else. My highest level of education is masters degrees in applied linguistics and special education but I also have lower degrees/certificates in random things - nutrition, herbal remedies, criminology and criminal justice, public policy, financial services, business administration, human resources, Western herbal medicine, Chinese medicine, Chinese law, fitness, lots of languages, and behavioural sciences. These were all just short course either online, by correspondence or at Chinese universities once a week for a few months. I found them all really interesting and met lots of interesting people through them. Some of them I took specifically to help me with starting my own business, some I took just because the time suited me I'm an introvert, so it's a great way of meeting people.

My bachelor degree is in social sciences and although I am interested in almost everything, I'm pretty certain I will continue to work and study in my chosen fields forever. I also think that for 31, I have a lot of life experience, which I value as much as education.
    Last edited by Angelskates; 01-08-2011 at 03:46 AM.

vCash
    I have a BA in History, and have done some graduate level work towards both an MSW and an MLS. I absolutely hated graduate school, and didn't finish either degree. I'm currently working in a field that has nothing to do with my degree, and to be successful one has to be compassionate, but also have the ability to be a jerk and tell it like it is.

I've found that education doesn't make one "smart" and lack of education doesn't make one "stupid." I'd take a high school dropout with common sense over a PhD who is clueless any day of the week.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    How is this a good thing?
    There is a stereotype that those who are *really* brilliant will be profoundly ill-adept at some basic things. Those scholars who are proficient across the board are sometimes viewed as being more generalists or hacks rather than truly brilliant scholars. Because of this stereotype, some will actually feign stupidity in something just to appear as a potential genius.

yeah....

I, on the other hand, don't have to feign shtoopidity as it comes so naturally to me .

vCash
    oops. Double post. Serves me right for posting from my iPad in the bath Not so smart.

vCash
    Coming out of a long period of lurkdom...
    I'm only 17, so my credentials aren't too impressive, but I'm a first year university student working toward degrees in dance performance and social justice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight1 View Post
    My aunt has a PhD and is head dean for her department and also has to look at her hands to remember which is left and which is right. She loves to joke around about it.
    Oh, this is me. I can't tell my left from my right half the time - I have to think about which hand I write with before I can really know. I find it embarrassing, but maybe I'm just secretly brilliant.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight1 View Post

This is me too! When I was a little girl, my mom told me the thumb and forefinger of my left hand make a L. For me to know which hand is which, I move the thumb and forefinger on my left hand to make the L.

I have a Master's degree in history.

vCash
    Until you turn your right hand over to have the palm face you...

I teach skating. I put stickers on the little kids' left feet so they can tell left from right, lol.
    It's just easier than having to discuss which way to hold their hand when forming the "L".

Title-less
    vCash
    I have a Master's but I always consider myself as only a BA grad as a lot of what I know hovers around the undergrad level--which is good enough for most employment with a few exceptions.

I've encountered some truly ignorant PH.Ds and some very well-informed high school grads, so I've often mentally inflated (or deflated) a person's "academic level" based on what they truly know.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    There is a stereotype that those who are *really* brilliant will be profoundly ill-adept at some basic things. Those scholars who are proficient across the board are sometimes viewed as being more generalists or hacks rather than truly brilliant scholars. Because of this stereotype, some will actually feign stupidity in something just to appear as a potential genius.

yeah....
    Well, I guess I am ill-adept at basic things without being brilliant. A double whammy.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    The thing that stands out to me about posters on this board is the level of curiousity; a lot of posters here have a drive to understand things.
    Very well put ... smarty-pants.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Well, I guess I am ill-adept at basic things without being brilliant. A double whammy.
    We all have moments of brilliance, no? And then there are those other moments ...

One night I was talking with a friend/colleague of mine, and we got into a deep discussion over a particular hermeneutical theory. Somehow that segued into a practical life discussion where I relayed how I unfortunately misinterpreted a discussion with someone to be about politics rather than he asking me out. Her response: "How could anyone so smart be SO stupid?!"

Yeah, it's a gift...

A friend of mine shared once in a get-together how he didn't realize a guy was making a pass at him till he was practically stroking his privates. Others found it incredible that he didn't clue in before then, but I found it entirely reasonable.

(FWIW, I can't tell my left from my right, and gave up trying a long time ago. Someone told me about the "L" thing, but since I couldn't remember which way an "L" is supposed to go, that didn't help. I also can't remember the alphabet in any language unless I sing it. I can count though )

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast