Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Level of Education

While reading these boards I have noticed that a lot of you are VERY intelligent. (Only being a high school graduate I sometimes feel stupid when I am visiting this website.) I'm curious how many of you are college students, have graduated college, have advanced degrees or are simply a high school graduate (like me).

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I have a PhD, but the level of one's education does not make one intelligent, nor are people who have only a high school education or who didn't even get that far, stupid. Never think your level of formal education makes you either smart or stupid.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    MBA, but I pride myself more on my street smarts than book smarts. My mother, who got her high school diploma during the depression was one of the smartest people I ever met.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Why do you feel stupid?

I learn something new and interesting every time I log onto FSU. It doesn't make me feel stupid, it's part of the reason the board is so interesting

I'm doing a BA joint honours degree at Oxford University, by the way.
    Last edited by SpiralGirl; 01-08-2011 at 01:16 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Never think your level of formal education makes you either smart or stupid.
    This.

To answer your question, I am getting my MSW at NYU right now.

vCash
    Never think your level of formal education makes you either smart or stupid.
    Couldn't agree more with this!

Some of the smartest people I know just graduated from highschool.

I have a college diploma as a Mental Health Worker (specializing in addictions), and have some university (but found myself pregnant so left after 1st year). I would like to go back eventually for either nursing or lab tech...
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    Level of education is more about drive, focus, interest and ability to achieve same. I am a high school graduate with a one-year certificate in my field - I graduated 12th in my HS class out of over 500, had a fairly well-to-do middle class family, am not lazy and could have gotten some scholarship $$ - I just totally hate school and didn't have anything in mind, so never went. Doesnt' make me stoopid. In fact, my ex-fiance, the elitist with the Ph.D., constantly told me I was too smart to do what I do - but it's 35 hours a week, I have a life, make pretty nice $$, and that's smart by my own personal definition.

vCash
    Because figure skating appeals to a more intelligent sports enthusiasts. Then the more intelligent of those venture onto FSU. So you end up getting super intelligent sports enthusiasts.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OrioleBeagle View Post
    While reading these boards I have noticed that a lot of you are VERY intelligent. (Only being a high school graduate I sometimes feel stupid when I am visiting this website.) I'm curious how many of you are college students, have graduated college, have advanced degrees or are simply a high school graduate (like me).
    There are a lot of stupid college graduates running around in the world. The thing that stands out to me about posters on this board is the level of curiousity; a lot of posters here have a drive to understand things.

That's what makes a person smart to me--wanting to learn and making it a point to try. You don't need to go to school for that.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Welll, I had to work many years to get my Mrs. - twice!

OK, seriously, I have graduated from a three year community college and have about 2.5 years towards my Bachelor of Education degree. Unfortunately, it often seems to be one of two things preventing me from finishing
    I have the money but not the time
    I have the time but not the money

Hmmm ... at this rate, I may be 65 before I finish my degree but I'm doing it out of a sense of accomplishment.

I too find that the people on here are often wise with great pearls of wisdom. I tend to learn something here most every day I show up - although I may not like what I'm learning

Book learning has it's place but it's not the be all and end all. Not by a long shot.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Someone may negative rep me everyday for the rest of my life for this one, but George W Bush has a college degree from Yale. Take that for whatever it's worth.

Seriously, though, college education doesn't measure intelligence. My father is one of the smartest people that I know and he went to trade school. My mother had a MA in Education, and she was so smart that she wasn't, if you know what I mean. One of my best friends graduated from Harvard with a BA in government and she doesn't have common sense enough to come in out of the rain.

Education has whatever value you put on it. I went back to school as an adult and obtained a BA in communications, and apparently it doesn't have a lot of value because I can't find a job in my field that is self-supporting. I ponder grad school just so that I can get a job where I can support myself, but do I really want to? I am really balking at that commitment.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Feeling stupid totally describes how I felt in college. But the real world is a great equalizer - nothing replaces experience and common sense once you're out of school. My dad has more formal education than my mom but she's much more clever than he is. He's just book smart, and a lot of schooling focuses solely on that.

And I think that's why FSUers come off so intelligent as a whole. For the most part we've lived a little and aren't just the typical inexperienced teenagers who populate a good deal of the web. I always say that if you have a question, no matter how random, someone here will know the answer!

vCash
    I am blessed to have a Bachelor of Arts because a) 8 hours of my high school Advance Placement exams credits tranferred to 8 credit hours I didn't have to pay for in undergrad and I took 3 years of German in high school that automatically upgraded me from BS to BA. Lesson learned = apply yourself in High School, take the SAT and ACT. My ACT scores allowed me free tuition my entire 4 years (which I have to say taking figure tests certainly prepared me for)
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    I agree with other posters, education does not make one smart. My father is a plumer and one of the smartest people I know. He knows a bit about everything so he understands and is interested in everything.

I have a bachelors degree in international studies and I'm working on my master in international development right now

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    That's what makes a person smart to me--wanting to learn and making it a point to try.
    ^^This

I like to say one should approach life in learning mode--soak everything up like a sponge. When one ceases to do that, that's when rigidity of thinking sets in. And that occurs at every educational level.

Personally I view education as imparting particular skill sets. Presumably one with a doctoral degree is qualified to teach and research at an advanced level within their field. They may or may not know how to read Shakespeare, count change, or figure out directions. Their skill sets can be quite specific. And of course depending on where you go, one's skill sets may be stronger than others with similar qualifications. But again, it's job-specific skill sets that one has rather than just general "intelligence."

That's how I see it anyway. (my education is at the post-graduate/doctoral level).

vCash
    I have a BBA and an MBA. Before the heart attack, my brother was an Engineer.

My sister doesn't have a college degree, but she's the smartest of us all. She's unbeatable at Scrabble, extremely logical and practical, smart with money and health, plus she can read five languages and guesstimate the meaning of three others. She does okay, money-wise, but the lack of a degree has kept her from getting interviews for jobs because she didn't meet the "minimum requirements."

I'm something of a college snob, my kids were all informed that they WILL get at least a bachelor's degree. After working at a place that required the person at the reception desk to have an four-year degree, I've become much less snobbish about the subject.

This discussion reminds me of a column in the PSA magazine where Jim Santee voiced a preference for an ivy-league doctor over one who went to the University of Grenada. The doctor who saved my brother's life was evacuated from Grenada during the invasion and eventually finished his MD there after the dust settled. I'll take him over a wild card anyday.
    Last edited by FigureSpins; 01-08-2011 at 02:57 AM.

vCash
    I have a PhD, but the level of one's education does not make one intelligent, nor are people who have only a high school education or who didn't even get that far, stupid. Never think your level of formal education makes you either smart or stupid.
    Ditto, to all of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight1 View Post
    Some of the smartest people I know just graduated from highschool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer
    That's what makes a person smart to me--wanting to learn and making it a point to try.
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    ^^This

I like to say one should approach life in learning mode--soak everything up like a sponge. When one ceases to do that, that's when rigidity of thinking sets in. And that occurs at every educational level.
    Reminds me of an actor friend of mine many years ago, who had dropped out of college but who was quite well read in a variety of subjects.

Christopher Dean, from what I've read, strikes me as someone who's not only accomplished in his field but also interested in and knowledgeable about the world around him, despite the lack of a college education. I'm sure there are other pro skaters/coaches/choreographers about whom the same could be said as well.

Personally I view education as imparting particular skill sets. Presumably one with a doctoral degree is qualified to teach and research at an advanced level within their field. They may or may not know how to read Shakespeare, count change, or figure out directions.
    Since my degrees are in theatre (and also English at the undergrad level) I would hope I know how to read Shakespeare.

Counting change or figuring out directions should be general knowledge for everyone. Some people have better spatial awareness than others, but I'm not sure if that's learned or innate.

vCash
    Who was it that said the smartest person is the one that knows how stupid they really are? It is a quote but can't remember who said it...
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    I have a M.S. and am finishing up my Ph.D., but my 75-year old father-in-law who never stepped foot inside a university can sum rows of several digit numbers in his head, blazes through Sudoku books, and is the only person I personally know that can hold his own against me in trivia games. Even though his only diploma is a high school degree, he's the most intelligent person I have ever known.

On the flip side of the coin...I won't say what university, but there was another department where I thought that someone was just a tech, but when someone else told me they were earning their Ph.D. I was like This person LOVES to give unwanted advice that is more often than not just plain wrong, and they also have the habit of peeking over your shoulder and "correcting" you, and then blaming you if you take their advice and the equipment jams

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I agree with a lot of what was said above: it's not the education but the curiosity and the ability to process information that IMO makes one intelligent. If you are lucky and have good teachers, you may be stimulated to be curious and inquisitive but the ultimate desire to learn has to be your own.

Also, there are different kinds of intelligence, including emotional. There are kinds of intelligence that cannot be imparted by any amount of education. Lately I've been thinking about (and what I think Twilight has mentioned) these quotes:
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell.
    and
    "The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity."
    W.B. Yeats
    I have post graduate/doctoral level of education and am currently mulling the possibility of a post doc. (I'd better get cracking on the application instead of posting here )
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 01-08-2011 at 03:40 AM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast