Politiking for Purple
    vCash

Ok Mac Users, itís another computer thread and I want your advice

So long story short, on New Years Day my barely 2 year old Toshiba laptop decided to help me celebrate new years by deciding it needed a new motherboard and hard drive. It, of course, is no longer under warranty. Happy New Years to me.

Iíve decided it is not worth the money I spent on it to get it fixed. I want to replace my laptop with another laptop and am considering a Mac. However, all I use my computer for is email, the internet, online banking, iTunes and watching videos (mostly ice network and YouTube; some on-line tv shows and dvds). Iím too computer illiterate to do anything more than that. So, is a Mac worth the money if that is all Iím going to be using it for?

In the past Iíve had an hp desktop which I was very happy with, a Dell laptop (which I would never consider again) and the Toshiba. Basically, I am looking for a dependable laptop that I will not have to replace every 2 years.

Thanks.
    If you want to be creative, get out there and do it. It's not a waste of time" - Michael Giacchino, UP

vCash
    I have a MacBook Pro and don't really recognize a difference between it and my pc. I think you can get a nice Hp for $500 for basic stuff that you want to do. I only got my Mac cuz I liked how it looked. The hp's have so much more memory for 1/2 the price. But if you want a Mac you can get refurbished for almost $200 cheaper on apple. Mine is refurbished and it works fine.

But if you want a MacBook or Mac Air I wouldn't recommend for video if your not going to upgrade them.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    I think a Mac would be waaay too much bang for the buck, considering how expensive the brand is compared to the others. Macs are very stable and fast, and the screens are very nice for graphic work. But if you're not going to be doing anything intensive, I would look into something else.

vCash
    Apple offers some less-expensive computer options for students that would fit your needs. A refurbished one would fit the budget, too. I wouldn't go for a top-of-the-line model, but do max out the memory and hard disk space so that the computer will last longer. (That's advice for any system you buy.)

I'm not an Apple advocate: I think most of them are purchased as status symbols. However, I do like their extended warranty program and their computers do last a long time thanks to their design work and the regular OS upgrades. They are easy to use and intuitive. (For the record, I really like Win 7.0, too.)

My daughter's Mac, which has been ABUSED, is perfect for the things you mentioned. She paid $1200 (with a free iPod) and it's still working fine five years later, without having to be replaced when the OS was upgraded twice. (Unlike my IBM notebook) I just wish she had purchased the extended warranty - that $250 would have kept the machine in better shape. She dropped it and damaged the network port. The cost of repairing it was four times the cost of buying an external adapter.
    Last edited by FigureSpins; 01-07-2011 at 04:18 AM.

vCash
    For the things you list, you could use an iPad instead of a full laptop. If you want something that has the capability of doing more, the entry level MacBook Air would meet your needs.
    That said, even though I'm in the Apple ecosystem, I'd recommend a low end Asus which you can get for less than $400.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    I have been using Macs for years. I find them very intuitive and pretty solid. I do quite a bit of photography the Mac is excellent for that. I am not, however, evangelical about Macs. We also have an Acer notebook and aGateway desktop both running Windows 7. I have been impressed with 7. I think Bill G finally got it right (even if it does look a little like a Mac ).
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidityĒĖ MLK

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    For the things you list, you could use an iPad instead of a full laptop. If you want something that has the capability of doing more, the entry level MacBook Air would meet your needs.
    That said, even though I'm in the Apple ecosystem, I'd recommend a low end Asus which you can get for less than $400.
    If this is to be the OP's sole computer I wouldn't recommend the iPad since without Flash or Silverlight there's almost no sources for watching skating videos outside of YouTube. The MacBook Air is awesomely portable but you don't get much hard drive space or optical drive which again isn't the best for a main computer...

In this case I'd have to recommend the basic white MacBook if you do go the Apple route. Mine is close to 4 years old and still runs well enough that I'd like to hold out for the next-gen Sandy Bridge processor to hit the 13'' models before thinking of upgrading.

vCash
    I agree with Lara. I have a basic white MacBook that is 3 years old. Never had a problem with it. If you do decide to get a Mac, make sure you buy an AppleCare warranty. Apple's tech support is fantastic (at least in Canada, I can't imagine it's too different in the U.S.)

vCash
    I agree that Macs are more of a status symbol, especially if they are just for casual use, and not something like photo editing. They are not worth the money, in my experience.

Usually, people who rave about them being of such better quality are upgrading from a Windows computer that costs a few hundred dollars. If you spend $1200 on a Windows laptop, it will be pretty good quality too.

Don't get me wrong, the computers are nice, user-friendly, and pleasant to look at. But so is the laptop I'm using now, a small Gateway laptop that only cost me $250. I'm sure if you do get a Mac, you will enjoy it. I did for most of the time I used them. But is it worth spending so much money? YMMV, but personally, I'd rather have a thousand dollars in my pocket.

As a side note, I've used many, many computers. I've had two Macs, plenty of Windows, and a few computers that ran on Linux. Now, I use my Gateway for day to day use and I absolutely adore it. I really dislike Toshiba, that is easily my least favorite brand. I find them unreliable and bulky, with a tendency to overheat. I like HPs and Dells. I hope this helps.

ETA: If you do go with Mac, I agree with the white Macbook recommendations.
    Last edited by triple_toe; 01-07-2011 at 02:17 AM.

vCash
    I bought my first MacBook Pro last spring. (I was tired of having problems with my PC freezing up on the web.) I will NEVER go back to a PC! I only use a computer for the internet. (I like to download PDF crochet and knitting patterns from websites and watch YouTube, I also like to print store coupons from the web.) My Mac is much more hassle free than the PC was!

I forgot to mention the STANDARD backlit keyboard and the fact that there are VERY FEW viruses for Macs. The chances of getting a computer virus are much less with a Mac. They have more advanced technology than PC's. I bought mine at BestBuy and I was fortunate to have a salesman who owned one (and could explain how to use it). They are simple to operate but DIFFERENT from a PC.

When I had a PC (and before that a desktop) I was CONSTANTLY having problems with my computer. I would have to have my brother-in-law look at it and fix what was messed up (from either operator error or spyware, viruses etc.. that was downloaded on my computer despite the virus protection). Since April, (when I bought my MAC) not once have I had to have my brother-in-law fix my computer! Mac's are much more "idiot proof"!
    Last edited by OrioleBeagle; 01-07-2011 at 01:13 PM.

vCash
    I have a basic white Mac laptop, and I do pretty much what you do with it. It's three years old and awesome. My grape iMac lasted twelve years before going to the great computer graveyard in the sky (I had lots of my lesson plans on it, and kept it for those) and I'm sure my six year old eMac would still be going well, but it was large and I recycled it.

Anyway. Basic white laptop. (mine has a pink cover on it. And a sticker that says "read a f*cking book." )

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OrioleBeagle View Post
    I bought my first MacBook Pro last spring. (I was tired of having problems with my PC freezing up on the web.) I will NEVER go back to a PC! I only use a computer for the internet. (I like to download PDF crochet and knitting patterns from websites and watch YouTube, I also like to print store coupons from the web.) My Mac is much more hassle free than the PC was!

I forgot to mention the STANDARD backlit keyboard and the fact that there are VERY FEW viruses for Macs. The chances of getting a computer virus are much less with a Mac. They have more advanced technology than PC's. I bought mine at BestBuy and I was fortunate to have a salesman who owned one (and could explain how to use it). They are simple to operate but DIFFERENT from a PC.

When I had a PC (and before that a desktop) I was CONSTANTLY having problems with my computer. I would have to have my brother-in-law look at it and fix what was messed up (from either operator error or spyware, viruses etc.. that was downloaded on my computer despite the virus protection). Since April, (when I bought my MAC) not once have I had to have my brother-in-law fix my computer! Mac's are much more "idiot proof"!
    My sister says I know just enough about computers to be dangerous! ( l o l ) For that reason, I am MUCH better off using a Mac. It is worth every penny I spent on it!

vCash
    We have a 5yo and a 3yo MacBook at our house, one for me and one for the two kids. Previously we had had a few different PCs and internet security was such an ongoing nightmare that we bit the bullet and switched to Mac. The 5yo computer has definitely cost us less per year than any other laptop we've had. In terms of computing power I guess it's more than we need. Not having to worry about cleaning out crap acquired from the browsing the web makes it more than worth it to me.

vCash
    I have a Macbook Pro (13 inch) and have been exceedingly happy with it. I particularly like the way stuff just works, and if you have questions or issues, some nice person at the other end of the phone line will actually work with you to get the issue resolved without trying to foist the problem off on someone else. I do agree about getting a good amount of memory, but I'm less and less concerned with disk space -- the on-line archival services are better and better, and much more resilient. One trick is to see if the older models are available -- either new or refurbished -- and see if there is a good price discount on them. I got mine at Microcenter and it was about $180 cheaper than buying it at the local Apple store.