Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    I'm guessing this is for practical reasons. Imagine timing boiled eggs for different lengths of time when the orders come in at different times, then making sure the right eggs got to the right people. It would be a nightmare for the expediter.
    could be..
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I was under the impression that egg cups were used in Europe, but was not aware that they were in widespread use worldwide.
    Alright. Let it be in any European country. As for the worldwide, egg cups are available in shops in Japan, even if the local cuisine prefers tamago onsen much more (those are served everywhere (in Japan) in another "egg dish" of two parts- one for the egg itself, another for the eggshell, you put it there after you break the egg). Soft/hard-boiled eggs are served in egg cups for breakfast, especially in hotel buffet-style restaurants known as バイキング in Japan. That is just one of the non-European country example.  

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    That is just one of the non-European country example.  
    Only one? And such a limited one?

I was hoping to feel a bit more unique.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Can someone explain how a hard-boiled egg is eaten in an egg cup? I don't get it. Hard-boiled eggs are peeled with your hands, so what's the point of the egg cup?
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Can someone explain how a hard-boiled egg is eaten in an egg cup? I don't get it. Hard-boiled eggs are peeled with your hands, so what's the point of the egg cup?
    I'd tell you if I just knew what an egg cup was.

vCash
    The cooked egg is placed in the cup unpeeled. One then cuts off the top, and uses a spoon to scoop out the yolk and white.

Not summer :(
    vCash
    When I was little, before my sister was born, my brother and I had our own little egg cups. I have them now. We used them for hard-boiled eggs by using a knife to cut off the top of the egg (well, actually, my mom did it for us when we were little), and then used a spoon to scoop the egg out of the shell that had been cut off and the larger portion that remained in the egg cup. No different really, than eating a soft-boiled egg. We used to put a tiny dab of margarine in the yolk, and then some salt and pepper. It was years before I ate a boiled egg any other way. After I first moved away from home, and my tastes expanded, I started eating my soft-boiled eggs on toast. I still cut the top off the same way we always had, but I scooped the egg out onto buttered toast and used a knife and fork to eat it.

Quite yummy...

ETA: The egg cups from my childhood. The pink one was mine and the blue was my brother's.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pollyanna View Post
    I'd tell you if I just knew what an egg cup was.

Quote Originally Posted by ice dance View Post
    The cooked egg is placed in the cup unpeeled. One then cuts off the top, and uses a spoon to scoop out the yolk and white.
    OK, thanks. That sounds rather civilized. Is the egg peeled at the table, or is the egg peeled away from the table? If it's peeled at the table, where do you put the shell?

Now here's a question specifically for IceAlisa: Where did you store the second hard-boiled egg while you were eating the first one? Was it on your plate?

So many questions. The incredible, edible, educational egg.

The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash

OK, thanks. That sounds rather civilized. Is the egg peeled at the table, or is the egg peeled away from the table? If it's peeled at the table, where do you put the shell?

Now here's a question specifically for IceAlisa: Where did you store the second hard-boiled egg while you were eating the first one? Was it on your plate?

The egg isn't peeled; you scoop the egg out of the shell.

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post
    The egg isn't peeled; you scoop the egg out of the shell.
    I read ice dance's "unpeeled" all wrong. I really need a new eyeglass prescription.

But I'm still confused....how do you cut through an egg shell? A butter knife won't do it. Would it?

vCash

I know this question was directed at IceAlisa, but I have these egg cups. The smaller, upper bell holds the egg you're eating. The larger, lower bell keeps the second egg warm while you eat the first.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    I do the same as Really, (if I get busy with something or other and overcook my egg) except I put a mid-sized pat of butter or margarine on my plate and scoop a bit of it off with a spoon first, and then scoop out a bit of the egg. IOW, the butter is not put directly on the egg, but eaten at the same time. (Is that reading as clear as I hope? )

And to answer the question you asked IA, the second egg is just sitting on my plate waiting for me to finish the first.

And Really, I still have my special childhood cup too. I don't use it often though, since I have many others, but do once in a while.

eta: also, if I do overcook my eggs and they are hard boiled, I've been known to peel the eggs first, and then place it in my egg cup. but yes, a regular butter knife will slice the top off an egg. Shell and all.

e again ta: I also have egg cozies to keep my eggs warm, although I rarely use them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post
    ETA: The egg cups from my childhood. The pink one was mine and the blue was my brother's.
    ZOMG, those are just too adorable!

The only time I've used egg cups was when I lived in England and the B&B in which I lived served soft boiled eggs for breakfast every morning

vCash
    I read ice dance's "unpeeled" all wrong. I really need a new eyeglass prescription.

But I'm still confused....how do you cut through an egg shell? A butter knife won't do it. Would it?
    A proper butter knife is used only for taking butter from the dish to put on one's plate. Then a bread-and-butter knife is used to spread the butter on one's bread or toast. A bread-and-butter knife works fine for cutting off the top of an egg. Give it a fairly hearty tap about a third of the way down, while steadying it from the other side with your hand, and you should cut into it.
    The shell is left on one's plate after one has scooped out the egg.

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    OK, next question.

Do you have to use a special spoon to scoop out the egg?

vCash
    OK, next question.

Yes.

See here:

How to use your egg cups

vCash
    OK, next question.

There are proper spoons, but I've never seen them in shops here. We use tea-spoons.

vCash
    Regular teaspoons also.

vCash
    Yup, plain old teaspoons...

vCash
    Sacrilege! Blasphemy! Oh, you krass Amerikun Philistines! Only dedicated egg spoons will do, like the dear little silver ones I inherited from my Russian great-grandmother. Tinami will back me up on this, I'm sure.
    Last edited by Nomad; 01-09-2011 at 05:16 AM.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    http://www.amazon.ca/R-S-V-P-Enduran.../dp/B000BUDE5M

Nothing wrong with teaspoons either. Just sayin.......

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast