Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    Are you really Paula Deen in disguise? I saw her show today and swear I gained weight by osmosis!
    I know. I am now avoiding her.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    Are you really Paula Deen in disguise? I saw her show today and swear I gained weight by osmosis!
    No. I don't watch her show and I still gain weight. Maybe it's these threads.

Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I know. I am now avoiding her.
    I'd avoid all cooking shows this time of year. And these threads.

vCash
    Are "Toast Points" pieces of toasted bread cut diagonally into triangles?

Toast Soldiers sound so much more practical if you use an egg cup.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    Anyway, which looks more appetising? Soft boiled eggs or this kind of food?
    Oh come on, this one is genius!

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Another classic use of raw egg is in Caesar salad. Originally, it was made with raw egg, and in fancier restaurants a few decades ago, they'd even make it tableside for you. Today, I'm guessing that few Americans (or Canadians) make the dressing from scratch any more, and modern recipe books usually suggest coddling the egg first. Mind you, I can't imagine that a brief boiling is going to get the egg temperature to the levels someone posted earlier.
    A lot of these "safety recommendations" are more about CYA than reality. I definitely remember a period of time when it was in the news constantly that you shouldn't consume raw or under-cooked eggs. After that, restaurants put disclaimers in their menus (that eating raw or undercooked foods -eggs, steaks, etc. --could make you sick) and they stopped making the Cesar salad with raw eggs or would put a warning up if they still used raw eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by Skate Talker View Post
    Once in 84 years - wow.
    Well now I'm annoyed. I liked my eggs Sunnyside up and also soft-boiled and I've been doing without for years like a good little girl because of all those warnings.

Time to rebel!

And maybe even buy some egg cups.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post
    Try it with poached eggs, too. Butter makes anything taste better.
    Word.

-Bridget

vCash
    Creative statistics can be used to prove or disprove anything, especially when the source has a vested interest. The "Egg Safety Board" website that stated "once in 84 years" is owned and operated by United Egg Producers, so I would expect them to downplay any possible danger or contamination.

This summer, 65 people became ill after eating meringue made from salmonella-contaminated egg whites. There were other outbreaks across the county that the CDC traced back to the same factory's contaminated, pasteurized egg whites. http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/7975607/

I guess you can count that as "Once in 84 years" but I wouldn't.

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ice dance View Post
    My sister will be going to the US in a few months, and we are doing some research on American culture and etiquette. We read today that most Americans don't use egg-cups when they eat boiled eggs. Is this true?

no chuckie eggs and soldiers
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    One thing that needs to be clarified around these studies is that some of them keep the eggs at room temperature (or upwards to 30 degrees celsius!!) and wait 7 days before testing them for bacterial growth. So they are actually using an extreme condition to test for contamination.

Any bacteria grows in the right conditions on most food items. Why anyone would keep eggs at room temp for an extended period is beyond me and doesn't adhere to food safety protocol that I remember from college. Eggs should be stored in a temp under 45 degrees fahrenheit. If using eggs for a room temp recipe, don't leave them longer than 2 hours

If the egg shell is cracked in the container you purchased it in, dispose of it. Don't think it will be fine if you cook the heck out of it. Don't take the chance.

As for the 84 yr thing...who knows about that. But I did find this UK study...
    http://journals.cambridge.org/action...ne&aid=5853708

"Over 5700 hens eggs from 15 flocks naturally infected with Salmonella enteritidis were examined individually for the presence of the organism in either egg contents or on shells. Thirty-two eggs (0·6%) were positive in the contents."

Found this too which I thought was interesting and against what I was taught in school..."Storage at room temperature had no significant effect on the prevalence of salmonella-positive eggs but those held for more than 21 days were more likely"
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    Maybe the tests were to simulate actual transportation conditions? A tractor-trailer filled with eggs, sitting open at the fifth delivery of the day, in the heat of the south might be closer to that test than we think.

There's a huge movement in the US to buy local organic food so you support local businesses, get fresher food, and cut down on shipping. The latter saves energy, cuts pollution, prevents waste and reduces the risk of spoilage. Farmer's markets are destinations for many people.

I'm also amazed at how many people across the US have fought over the past five years for the right to keep chickens (for the eggs) in their backyards within city limits. I expected an outcry against it because of bird flu fears. The biggest complaint? Roosters and possible smell. The city coops I've seen (there are tours) are all filled with fat, showy pet chickens, but they do provide eggs, fertilizer and pest control. (AFAIK, all organic, free-range and salmonella-free!)

vCash
    I don't know what the food safety protocol is down there but we have very strict food safety protocol up here. I know refrigeration is almost immediate on the harvesting of chicken eggs and they are carted on site and stored in a cold area. At least for mass market sales. Trucks are refrigerated etc etc.

Private sales I am not sure about but if you kept selling contaminated eggs, one wouldn't be in business very long.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    i wouldn't mind having chickens but the wild cats who think they own my back yard might find them a bit too tasty.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Eating soft-boiled eggs without an egg cup is indeed a problem--all that runny yolk. But hard-boiled eggs are extremely portable and easy to eat without an egg cup. My trick is to submerge them in cold water immediately after boiling and keep there for a few minutes for easy shelling.
    Probably when you are at home you are free to eat in a manner you wish. But my understanding is that OP was asking about table manners and etiquette that his/her sister is going to research in US. I doubt eating hard-boiled eggs in a public place without an egg cup is a nice show that is widely accepted.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post
    There's a huge movement in the US to buy local organic food so you support local businesses, get fresher food, and cut down on shipping. The latter saves energy, cuts pollution, prevents waste and reduces the risk of spoilage. Farmer's markets are destinations for many people.
    I think this colors my thinking about food. I'm one of the board's oldies and grew up in a time when you went to the butcher for meat. Because it was a small business, our butcher only bought what he could sell in 24-48 hours. All ground meat was done on the premises, from cuts selected by the buyer from the case. Because the meat was fresh (no more than 3 days from hoof to table), we never had a problem with anything we bought.

The milkman brought our eggs. They were guaranteed to be no more than one day old, as was our milk.

By the 60s, the Interstate system made it easy to get food from far away, like New Jersey! My mother started to ask questions about whether the food was local (New England) or trucked in. She didn't buy trucked in if she could avoid it.

Big supermarkets changed everything. We didn't know how old the food was or, in most cases, where it was from. There was no one to ask. Labeling helped, but it's still a crap shoot. For example, our closest supermarket has two kinds of hamburg - store ground and pre-packaged. The store ground is from case meat. Guess what we buy. Same for eggs, we have one brand that's local and stamps the "laid on" date, and another from gawd knows where. If I'm making soft cooked eggs, I only get the local.

Needless to say, I'm firmly on the local bandwagon as it brings me back to my earliest understanding of food... buy fresh from someone you trust.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    Oh come on, this one is genius!
    Good point! I hadn't seen that one

vCash
    One friend of mine gets hard boiled eggs consistently and they are brought in a bowl. No egg cups.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post

I do make Caesar salad dressing from scratch now and then, with the raw egg - it's the disgusting anchovies that I leave out!
    Actually, the original recipe for the dressing does not contain anchovies; that's a misconception. The dressing does have Worcestershire sauce in it and that adds the minute amount of anchovy in the dressing.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post

PM me your address and I'll send it to you.
    i'm on my way to being a rude euro!

thanks so much
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    This thread is oddly fascinating...

I like soft boiled eggs, but I only eat the whites of hardboiled. Hard boiled egg yolks are

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    A lot of these "safety recommendations" are more about CYA than reality. I definitely remember a period of time when it was in the news constantly that you shouldn't consume raw or under-cooked eggs. After that, restaurants put disclaimers in their menus (that eating raw or undercooked foods -eggs, steaks, etc. --could make you sick) and they stopped making the Cesar salad with raw eggs or would put a warning up if they still used raw eggs.

Well now I'm annoyed. I liked my eggs Sunnyside up and also soft-boiled and I've been doing without for years like a good little girl because of all those warnings.

Time to rebel!

And maybe even buy some egg cups.
    I make poached and over-easy eggs at home all the time and I don't worry about salmonella. I also buy organic eggs from a local, small producer rather than the much cheaper large-scale factory farm eggs. I don't buy organic everything, but eggs are one area where I think that it is both a win for the chickens and for food safety.

The restaurant situation is different, IMO -- that authentic Caesar dressing might be made in quantities requiring a dozen raw eggs, and if they're using the cheapo 69 cents a dozen type you're exposing yourself to a whole lot of potential pathogens since one bad egg taints the entire batch. The restaurant-made stuff may also have been sitting around longer than you'd like from a bacteriological standpoint.

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast