Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I love soft-boiled eggs, but never use an egg-cup. I like to eat them in a mug with butter and salt (yum!) or on toast. My English granny gave us an egg-cup from one of her trips back to England, but we don't use it: instead we put an egg she made in ceramics class in it for decoration, it's darling!

I'm from America, BTW, and because my mom grew up eating them (my English granny served "soldiers" for her) she never worried about making them for me even after any "scares" (I'm a child of the '80s).

-Bridget
    Last edited by John 3 17; 01-07-2011 at 09:58 AM.

vCash
    I'm not sure how people can be so disgusted about soft boiled eggs and yet like eggs over easy. It's not that different. They both involve runny egg yolks

Anyway, which looks more appetising? Soft boiled eggs or this kind of food?

Disclaimer. A friend sent me this blog and I've spent the morning looking at it, feeling slightly ill and craving eggs

vCash
    I haven't had soft boiled eggs in years however, I think I might make one for breakfast now. We have egg cups and used to use them all the time, but I haven't seen them since we moved 7+ years ago. I always had soft boiled eggs with toast pieces when I was home sick from school. Memories! Anyway, I love eggs. Love over easy, love soft boiled, love poached. Don't like scrambled eggs. Like hard boiled, but only eat the white. Some days I only eat the white of my fried eggs... I'm picky. But, I've always loved soft boiled eggs.

Now, let's see if I can find an egg cup...

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Egg lovers, I highly recommend an egg cooker. Cuisinart makes a cute one in stainless steel shaped like an egg (I myself have an old Toastmaster that works perfectly as well). All you do is use the measure to put in the amount of water based on number of eggs and soft/hard level, turn it on, and bing! perfect every time, and never a grey ring.

I love eggs in all forms - scrambled, fried (huevos rancheros is a fave weekend treat), soft boiled, hard boiled, egg salad sandwiches, hollandaise sauce, you name it.

I've never master proper poaching, so I just use my egg cooker to make soft boiled eggs, peel vv carefully, lay on a piece of toast and cover with hollandaise.

But don't Americans love deviled eggs??? Once the centrepiece of any housewife's party tray, they're back with retro vengence - any time I've served them to family or friends, the tray is gone in seconds. The new issue of Saveur even has a bunch or recipes.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ice dance View Post
    My sister will be going to the US in a few months, and we are doing some research on American culture and etiquette. We read today that most Americans don't use egg-cups when they eat boiled eggs. Is this true?
    OP, I am sure you will take your own egg-cup. I would (have no idea how to eat a boiled-egg or half-boiled without an egg-cup). It shouldn't take much room in your luggage.

vCash
    I like deviled eggs! I use the same spices for my version of "egg salad"

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Eating soft-boiled eggs without an egg cup is indeed a problem--all that runny yolk. But hard-boiled eggs are extremely portable and easy to eat without an egg cup. My trick is to submerge them in cold water immediately after boiling and keep there for a few minutes for easy shelling.

Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    I'm not sure how people can be so disgusted about soft boiled eggs and yet like eggs over easy. It's not that different. They both involve runny egg yolks
    I can't stand either. It's either scrambled, hard-boiled or dead for me. I have a trick for very nice scrambled eggs I picked up on the Food Network if anyone's interested.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I remember my mom liking soft boiled eggs when I was a child, but we certainly did not have egg cups. I only know them from watching British movies. I would totally disagree that eggs have gone out of style with Americans. I don't know a single person who doesn't like them for breakfast or snacks. I made eggs and bacon for dinner a couple of days ago. I only buy Egglands or the cage-free from Trader Joe's now. There is a big difference from them and the cheaper ones - in size, color and taste.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I can't stand either. It's either scrambled, hard-boiled or dead for me. I have a trick for very nice scrambled eggs I picked up on the Food Network if anyone's interested.
    I'm interested - what's the trick!
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Please do share!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    OK. The key is not to make them dry. First cook them on low heat. At the point when they are about a minute before done, add a tiny splash of milk. The milk will steam the eggs insuring they retain moisture.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

From the Bloc
    vCash
    OK. The key is not to make them dry. First cook them on low heat. At the point when they are about a minute before done, add a tiny splash of milk. The milk will steam the eggs insuring they retain moisture.
    Interesting - I normally mix in some cream before I put them in a buttered pan, so no issues with dryness, but they are very rich. (and yummy!)

Another method I used mostly for quantities (ie a brunch) is something I got from a description in a novel years ago: preheat cream or milk and butter in a pot on low heat, then break each egg into that one at a time, breaking the yolk and stirring with a spoon. That way, they essentially "cook" in the pot rather than being sauteed in a pan. Works quite nicely if you have the patience to stir for awhile, because it does take time before they start to thicken.

Also, a key thing for scrambled eggs is a warmed plate.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I always add some milk into the eggs before I whisk them anyway. The idea is to add even more moisture right before they are done. I can't use cream--too much heart disease in the family. Although I am considering making a frozen whipped cream/condensed milk key lime pie... but that's a rare treat while eggs are eaten every weekend.

from Speedy Death

vCash

Red face

I like the extra milk at the end of cooking tip - I'll try it - thanks. There was a ski resort in Vermont that we stayed at which used either sour cream or cream cheese in their breakfast buffet scrambled eggs. Yum!

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Interesting - I normally mix in some cream before I put them in a buttered pan, so no issues with dryness, but they are very rich. (and yummy!)

Another method I used mostly for quantities (ie a brunch) is something I got from a description in a novel years ago: preheat cream or milk and butter in a pot on low heat, then break each egg into that one at a time, breaking the yolk and stirring with a spoon. That way, they essentially "cook" in the pot rather than being sauteed in a pan. Works quite nicely if you have the patience to stir for awhile, because it does take time before they start to thicken.
    I make "shirred eggs" in a frying pan by melting butter, adding a little cream or lactaid, then cracking an egg in, sunnyside up. I cover it so the white cooks evenly and yolk gets warmed up. Serve it over toast. Delish!

I can't use cream--too much heart disease in the family.
    Try using low-fat "Lactose Reduced" milk. It's thicker than the regular milk equivalent. I use Kroger Lactose 2% in coffee instead of light cream.

I like scrambled eggs with ketchup. That probably "squidged" out a few people.

My BIL has heart issues and you'll see why in a minute: he has two signature recipes. One of them is called "eggs in a hole." Take two pieces of bread and use a glass to cut out a hole in the center. Heat a frying pan and melt a lot of butter. Toast the bread on one side, then flip it over and crack a whole egg into each hole, adding more butter if needed. Tastes great, haven't made it in years because I can feel my arteries clog up when I eat it.

If you try the "eggs in a pot" recipe for a crowd, add some shredded cheese and they're gone in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by FigureSpins; 01-07-2011 at 04:02 PM.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post
    I like scrambled eggs with ketchup. That probably "squidged" out a few people.
    I think that's quite common, along with Tabasco. I used to use Heinz Chili Sauce, until I found Sriracha; hubby prefers Tapatio.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I think that's quite common, along with Tabasco. I used to use Heinz Chili Sauce, until I found Sriracha; hubby prefers Tapatio.
    ITA, all of the above go well with eggs, including ketchup. Love having scrambled eggs and home fries with ketchup on a weekend morning.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    My favourite type of egg is the Onsen Tamago. I can eat it plain or with rice dishes (works with anything from sukiyaki, curry, rice bowls,bento), noodles, pizza, etc etc

As for boiled egg, I prefer a medium-boiled egg the one in the middle

vCash
    ^^I am highly susceptible to food-borne illness (I get it at least half a dozen times a year probably more) and have yet to get salmonella from soft boiled eggs. Usually I get it from improper food handling from family members when prepping family dinners. Father in law made chili once and left it overnight on the stove to cool then reheated it in the morning...after we ate lunch he told us.

Reading this thread makes me want to buy a really nice set of egg cups though!!
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    You can get some really fun egg cups, you know.

vCash
    My mom in law has black marble ones and they are so pretty. Heavy as heck though!! I browsed through some of them on that link and I like a few of them haha!!
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast