Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    why is the electric one better than the stovetop one? the stovetop one boils right away. is it because you can take it anywhere and euros require a lot of tea?
    Whatever you're used to, really. But you can take the electric ones anywhere, so they're great for dorms. Although they do draw a lot of power, so if several people use them in a dorm-type situation, circuit breakers can be blown....much like electric popcorn-poppers. Now that takes me back...

vCash
    Oh the egg cups that go with Mr Salt and Mrs Pepper - we used to have several of them but no Salt and Pepper - usually fights about which character we got to use - 3 kids. Also had china ones that were a little pig and some other animals I cannot remember - not the same but similar to pictures linked earlier.

I currently use metal spiral-wire ones, but also own a sort-of Delft egg cup. It is from Holland and has traditional Delft design but is actually made of wood and not China. That one sits with all the other Delft decorations in the kitchen - I don't actually use it. My mother's family is from Holland.

My Aunt next door still has milk delivery once a week. Milk just comes in regular cartons.

I have used both stove-top and electric kettles over the years. My current kettle is my favourite - "cordless" electric so all the convenience of both.

I also have a tankless water heater which is not to say that I have instant hot water at my taps. To do that I would have to install those tap heaters. In fact it now takes longer to get hot water as there is no hot water reserve and the heater has a built in delay of several seconds before it even starts to heat the water - just in case you didn't really mean to open that tap - and once it does heat it still has to run long enough to displace all the unheated water sitting in the pipes. Nonetheless, I love having it, especially when the out of towners are staying and the shower is going non-stop for a couple of hours - never ever runs out of hot water. Also has the feature where you can adjust the water heat to your personal preferred level for a shower or bath so that you don't waste energy over-heating the water then mixing in cold to have it at a comfortable level, but you can still put it back up to have it piping hot for doing dishes etc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Amazon carries a lot of examples.

I see small kettles in dorms quite a bit; students use them to make ramen and hot drinks. But I don't see them very often in homes. Someone must buy them, though.
    My sister has one -- several actually (one for the guest room and one for my mother's room, in addition to the one in the kitchen). She first had one when she lived in England and enjoyed the convenience -- and the automatic shut-off. She's been trying to get my mother to use one instead of her habit of heating water in a small saucepan on top of the stove -- and forgetting that she's left the gas on and letting the water totally boil away (which she has done quite a few times).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Still delivering milk in the plastic bags you put in the pitcher and cut the corner off to serve? I haven't seen those since the mid seventies. But I don't understand the little door for the milkman -- was it like a cat door that the milkman could push the milk into? Ours was just left in a wooden box outside.
    We don't have milk delivery here but we do have a store that sells milk (and orange juice) in those bags. You can even buy a pitcher to put the milk in.

I remember when we did have a milkman, he'd just leave everything in a metal box my mom had on the front porch.

vCash
    I just remember the cream at the top of the home delivered milk bottles, ugh it was a blob to get through to the less rich milk (which was always whole milk then), probably why I don't like milk to this day. But ironically, I love cream in potatoes, desserts and soups.

vCash
    I grew up in BC and we always bought our milk in 4 liter jugs. I didn't know about the bags until I moved to Ontario. My sister visited me in the summer and was absolutely repulsed by the sight of milk in a bag

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    I've lived in my house in Canada for the last 21 years and found out thanks to this thread the purpose of the little square door in the wall by our back door.. I grew up in England where we had a place for the coal to be placed.. but never knew what this little door here in Canada was for. We live in a 1960's ranch style bungalow in a residential area and now I know what it is!! A door & compartment for milk! My FSU education continues..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    Bagged milk in Canada is a regional thing too. We had it for a time in the 70's, but it wasn't overly popular. Probably difficult to stand upright in the milk door!

Anyways, I don't think I've seen bagged milk in a store in Alberta in years. Ours comes in waxed 'cardboard' cartons or plastic jugs.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 4rkidz View Post
    I've lived in my house in Canada for the last 21 years and found out thanks to this thread the purpose of the little square door in the wall by our back door.. I grew up in England where we had a place for the coal to be placed.. but never knew what this little door here in Canada was for. We live in a 1960's ranch style bungalow in a residential area and now I know what it is!! A door & compartment for milk! My FSU education continues..
    The things you don't learn eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post
    Bagged milk in Canada is a regional thing too. We had it for a time in the 70's, but it wasn't overly popular. Probably difficult to stand upright in the milk door!

Anyways, I don't think I've seen bagged milk in a store in Alberta in years. Ours comes in waxed 'cardboard' cartons or plastic jugs.
    Bags never caught on in Sask. either, milk cartons or plastic jugs are what you find.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post

Bagged milk is pretty much all they sell in Colombia. There are special jars to hold the bag upright.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Bagged milk is pretty much all they sell in Colombia. There are special jars to hold the bag upright.
    See, bagged milk is not so unusual!

Quote Originally Posted by 4rkidz View Post
    We never know what we'll learn here at FSU. I have to say though, I've lived in various Canadian cities, but never saw a milk door/milk box before moving to Toronto.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i had to google bagged milk because i couldnt picture it. how do you get it out of the bag without making a mess?
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    i had to google bagged milk because i couldnt picture it. how do you get it out of the bag without making a mess?
    we have jugs that hold the bag and then special blades to cut the top corner of the bag so it doesn't spill.. can also use scissors.. now you too have learned something today
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    There are jugs that hold the bag upright in the fridge. You cut only the corner using scissors.

vCash
    Just popping on to say I'm enjoying the fact that a question as simple as "Do Americans use egg cups?" has created a 15 page discussion!

vCash
    [QUOTE=Prancer;3016717]Amazon carries a lot of examples.

IMHO, the only real tea kettle on that page is the Presto 02703. The rest are the wrong shape, and I'll be most of them sit on a base that plugs into the wall, rather than plugging in directly.

An electric kettle boils enough water for a POT of tea. That's because proper tea is made in a pot, not directly into a cup. There is a process that needs to be followed to achieve a good cup of tea. Less than a Japanese tea ceremony, but much more than sticking a tea bag in a cup and pouring warm water from a tap over it.

This is even more fun that egg cups!

INTJ
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KikiSashaFan View Post
    I grew up in BC and we always bought our milk in 4 liter jugs. I didn't know about the bags until I moved to Ontario. My sister visited me in the summer and was absolutely repulsed by the sight of milk in a bag
    Interesting. I've never lived outside of BC and we definitely had bagged milk in the 80's and early 90's I can remember getting in trouble for cutting the corner and making a big mess in my parents current house that we moved into in 1993. I can't remember when we stopped being able to get it in bags though.
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

vCash
    We've had an electric kettle for years. The one we have right now does sit on a base and has an auto-shut off. I have been known to burn water in the past. Said electric kettle gets used for tea (in a cup, sorry, Jasperboy), instant coffee (hubby's), instant oatmeal, and anything else for which we need a quick bit of boiling water.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    [QUOTE=JasperBoy;3017416]
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Amazon carries a lot of examples.

IMHO, the only real tea kettle on that page is the Presto 02703. The rest are the wrong shape, and I'll be most of them sit on a base that plugs into the wall, rather than plugging in directly.
    Yes, I agree JasperBoy, the Presto 02723 is a traditional Canadian electric kettle (speaking as a Canadian who has lived mostly in Ontario...I guess I'll have to start watching out for those regional differences!).

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I heat my water for tea in the microwave. I thought everyone did.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast