Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Egg racists!

I heard some chickens lay blue green eggs. I'd love to see that.
    There is one farmer at our market who brings those. They are pretty (and a little small). The chickens that lay them look like the fancy ones the 4H/FFA kids bring to the County Fair and win ribbons.
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Here's my caesar. It's miles better than any purchased dressing. I've been having this once or twice a month for the last 20 years. If I had to live on one dish for the rest of my life, this is without doubt my choice. This dressing is prepared something like a hollandaise sauce and so avoids the risks associated with uncooked eggs. It also tastes great and clings well to the romaine.

Aimless's Caesar Salad

Ingredients

1/3 cup olive oil
    1 whole large or jumbo egg
    1 ½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    2-3 cloves crushed garlic
    4 anchovy fillets, cut up

1 package (three heads) romaine hearts, flabby outer leaves discarded
    1 generous cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (I use parmigiano reggiano)
    Croutons (see below)
    black pepper

Tear the romaine into bite sized pieces and put it in a large bowl. Grate the cheese. Prepared the croutons (see below).

Place first five ingredients in a round bottomed glass bowl. Whisk vigorously until smooth and emulsified. Place in the microwave for 20 seconds, remove and whisk, 20 more seconds, remove and whisk again, then additional 10-15 second increments whisking each time until the dressing thickens, mellows, and has a nice consistency. If overheated the dressing sometimes curdles but still tastes and looks okay on the salad. Sometimes a vigorous whisking will re-emulsify it.

Remove about 2/3 of the romaine from the large bowl, and place it temporarily in another bowl or on a plate. Put 1/3 of the dressing, some of the cheese and a handful of croutons in the bowl. Stir it around until dressing is distributed. Do this two more times until all romaine is incorporated and salad is dressed. Save a little cheese to sprinkle on top. Add some freshly ground black pepper. Garnish with anchovies if you like.

Croutons: Cut a loaf of high quality crusty artisan bread (sourdough would be good; Costco roasted garlic loaf is also excellent) into half inch cubes. Place the cubes on a cookie sheet and toast them in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes or more until they are a uniform golden brown and are completely dry and crunchy. Store in the freezer. Good in this salad or in soups.

vCash
    I knew their were different types of chickens when I was younger but it is actually courtesy of Farmville that I learned a few new ones.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    we have to adjust how long we boil our soft boiled eggs depending on whether they are from the farm or not.. the farm fresh eggs shells are much harder and need an extra minute - whereas the grocery store ones have a softer shell and only take 5 mins.. this morning I had a double egg yolk, which was hard to tell in a boiled egg but the excess yolk was yummy... I actually tried to take a picture of one of the egg cups I have kept for years - as its hand painted porcelain that I think might be Japanese? This link has neat looking egg cups... I had the fairy ones..
    http://collectibles.rubylane.com/col.../,id=41.6.html
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    This thread reminds me of the Kitchenaid thread.

What an enjoyable thread, I read all 12 pages.
    I did know about egg cups, I think they are cute.

I'm American so no to egg cups for me. I do remember eating soft boiled egg when I was little, I don't think I ever made soft boiled eggs for my kids.

I guess it's up to the Canadians to keep the egg cup thing going.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post
    Yup. Mushed it up, put on some salt and pepper, and enjoyed.
    No butter?

-Bridget

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 4rkidz View Post
    we have to adjust how long we boil our soft boiled eggs depending on whether they are from the farm or not.. the farm fresh eggs shells are much harder and need an extra minute - whereas the grocery store ones have a softer shell and only take 5 mins.. this morning I had a double egg yolk, which was hard to tell in a boiled egg but the excess yolk was yummy... I actually tried to take a picture of one of the egg cups I have kept for years - as its hand painted porcelain that I think might be Japanese? This link has neat looking egg cups... I had the fairy ones..
    Thanks for posting this. I frequent estates sales for stuff to sell on Ebay. This link gives me an idea of pricing for vintage egg cups!
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Cool link. Anyone up for buying the "Occupied Japan Bunny Egg Cup"

Moving on to the salt and pepper dispensers for properly salting and peppering the eggs -- here's the style of Mr. Salt and Mrs. Pepper that sat on my grandmother's table:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Wood-Sal...5#ht_982wt_936

Caulkhead forever
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I heard some chickens lay blue green eggs. I'd love to see that.
    I buy these eggs sometimes. But it pains me that they go and ruin their decorating potential with that stamp!

We had loads of novelty egg cups of various kinds growing up, often getting them for Easter with a small chocolate egg in. I remember Dusty Bin and Thomas the Tank Engine, not sure what else. We also ate kiwi fruits by cutting them in half, putting them in egg cups and eating with a teaspoon!

I love this thread. I'm randomly telling people in conversation, "Did you know Americans don't use egg cups?!"

ETA: Ooh, now I want to try these!
    I am too long away from water;
    I have a need of water near.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodi View Post
    I love this thread. I'm randomly telling people in conversation, "Did you know Americans don't use egg cups?!"

ETA: Ooh, now I want to try these!
    Me too.... I even included it in my staff meeting as an aside.. everyone was shocked..

vCash
    Me too.... I even included it in my staff meeting as an aside.. everyone was shocked..
    We also don't have Chesterfield's here... Although my Auntie in Canada still has the little door on the outside of her house for the milkman. I was fascinated with that as a kid. They still delivered to her house in those plastic bags...here in the states I think we stopped with the aluminum boxes for the milk bottles!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    We also don't have Chesterfield's here... Although my Auntie in Canada still has the little door on the outside of her house for the milkman. I was fascinated with that as a kid. They still delivered to her house in those plastic bags...here in the states I think we stopped with the aluminum boxes for the milk bottles!
    as a kid growing up in England our milk was delivered to the front step and I used to love licking the cream from the top.. also went through a rebellious stage where we stole peoples bottles But it was the milkman's daughter who was the real ring leader

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    Still delivering milk in the plastic bags you put in the pitcher and cut the corner off to serve? I haven't seen those since the mid seventies. But I don't understand the little door for the milkman -- was it like a cat door that the milkman could push the milk into? Ours was just left in a wooden box outside.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by John 3 17 View Post
    No butter?

-Bridget
    My Weightwatchers plan wouldn't like that much...
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

being infected by Radionova's obvious joy for skating
    vCash
    This thread is very entertaining, keep going!
    Rockin' Finnish commentator: "And that was supposed to be a flip but it turned out to be a flop."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Still delivering milk in the plastic bags you put in the pitcher and cut the corner off to serve? I haven't seen those since the mid seventies. But I don't understand the little door for the milkman -- was it like a cat door that the milkman could push the milk into? Ours was just left in a wooden box outside.
    Well I was a child of the 70's. The door was on the outside, into a little box and then a door on the inside that you opened to get the milk. No refrigeration or anything like that. The mailman might of used it too, I don't know. We would visit Auntie once a year or so...

vCash
    One house that we lived in just outside of Edmonton had a milk door like that. The door on the outside and the door at the inside were not directly opposite each other so the milkman couldn't see inside the house very easily if the inner door was open.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    Twelve pages about egg cups!

I was going to suggest we move on to electric kettles. But it seems the focus has changed on its own. Milk doors it is!

When I lived in a housing development in Ontario every house (built mid-70s) had a milk door. They were no longer in use, since the dairies stopped home delivery in the 90s. The boxes were very popular on Devil's Night, before Hallowe'en.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasperBoy View Post
    I was going to suggest we move on to electric kettles.
    We've had a few discussions about electric kettles here--how no one uses them in the US, but they are common elsewhere and the best way to make tea, and sometimes ramen in dorm rooms, and even soups and things. But mostly tea.

Is there anything we haven't discussed on FSU?
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I use an electric kettle. I don't have the patience for the stove top kettle to boil. Must be my rude Euro roots. But I am that I missed a tea thread. I love tea, reading and talking about it. I could love a 20+ page thread on tea.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast