Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    ITA, all of the above go well with eggs, including ketchup. Love having scrambled eggs and home fries with ketchup on a weekend morning.
    LURVE this! It sounds gross, but it is so tasty.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    I'm not sure how people can be so disgusted about soft boiled eggs and yet like eggs over easy. It's not that different. They both involve runny egg yolks
    Are there people who like eggs over easy and yet are disgusted by soft-boiled eggs?

I don't care for boiled eggs, period. I'm not disgusted by them, I just don't like them cooked that way because I don't like the egg white. I think a couple of other people have said they like eggs over easy, but I don't remember them being disgusted by soft-boiled eggs. Maybe I missed them?

I don't know how widespread it is, but a lot of people I know are disgusted by runny eggs, period. I get that a lot when I eat eggs over easy in restaurants. And I know people who will only eat scrambled eggs if they are, in my mind, overcooked. I don't particularly associate this with salmonellla scares; I remember when I was a kid that other kids used to say "Ewwwwwwww" at my runny eggs. And they still do now that they are grown up. I can think of only one person who has ever made a comment about salmonella, and that was someone who was aghast that I let my kids eat raw cookie dough when they were little.

Raw cookie dough is much too awesome to skip just because there's an off-chance of salmonella.

Anyway, which looks more appetising? Soft boiled eggs or this kind of food?
    I guess it's a good thing the menu is a lot more extensive.

I got a great recipe for scrumbled eggs--scrambled eggs gently cooked with milk in a double boiler-- from someone on this board a few years ago. Yum. I wonder where I put it.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Just me
    vCash
    We had soft-boiled eggs several times a week for breakfast when I was young. My mother could do a perfect "four-minute" egg, firm white and runny yolk. Dad was the only one who used an egg cup. Mom would cut ours in half (a sharp rap with a knife all the way through the egg...quite a talent to do it without getting bits of shell in the egg!) and then scoop the egg from the shell into a bowl with the knife. We added a little butter, salt and pepper, mashed it all up and put it on toast. Loved them!
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I've never heard of adding butter to softboiled eggs until this thread - must try!

vCash
    Funny how people's experiences are so different.

I was always taught that eggs are super good for you, as long as they aren't fried. I remember going over to my Nana and Papa's and he would make me poached eggs on toast and I loved it. My dad had 2 every morning on an english muffin when I was a kid. We even had an egg poacher pan/ pot?

My mom would make soft boiled eggs and cut my toast in strips and I would dip it and use the ends and scrap out the whites with them.

Funny how I have never had anyway look twice at how I eat eggs. I order sunnyside at restaurants all the time even to this day. I have only sent my eggs back once because the whites were still oozy...

I have making soft boiled eggs into an art form...making the whites firm but the yolks runny.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    OP, I am sure you will take your own egg-cup. I would (have no idea how to eat a boiled-egg or half-boiled without an egg-cup). It shouldn't take much room in your luggage.
    Yes, after reading this thread, my sister will definitely be taking an egg-cup with her. Maybe even a set of them to give the family with whom she will be staying!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    You can get some really fun egg cups, you know.
    Oh wow, I used to have these plastic ones as a child. Long time no see.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    My mom served us soft-boiled eggs every Sunday morning because it was quick. She had to get four kids to church by 7:20 am...and we never skipped church. Sometimes they were served in egg cups, but usually just a bowl. There was a period of about two years where I was allergic to eggs and I was served milk-toast. I love soft-boiled eggs. I love milk-toast. Especially together. I'm getting hungry.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I've never heard of adding butter to softboiled eggs until this thread - must try!
    Try it with poached eggs, too. Butter makes anything taste better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Are there people who like eggs over easy and yet are disgusted by soft-boiled eggs?
    I thought someone said as much earlier in the thread, but maybe I was wrong

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Today in honor of this thread I had 2 hardboiled eggs in an egg cup, a piece of whole wheat toast and tea with milk for breakfast. It's almost 1 pm and I am still not hungry. Eggs are so filling!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Today in honor of this thread I had 2 hardboiled eggs in an egg cup, a piece of whole wheat toast and tea with milk for breakfast. It's almost 1 pm and I am still not hungry. Eggs are so filling!
    Did you use two egg cups or one?
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Did you use two egg cups or one?
    do you think she broke any?
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    I grew up in Russia and love soft-boiled eggs. My family was neither rich enough nor sophisticated enough for egg-cups, so my grandma used shot glasses to eat soft-boiled eggs.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    This thread is so interesting - when I first saw the title, I thought are you kidding me? What's next, asking if Americans drive cars?

But then again, I'm Canadian, the child of European immigrants, and when I think about my own collection of egg cups, one is an old one from Germany, two are a set I bought in Copenhagen, and four are Villeroy and Boch (a European company). I tried to get some for my Wedgewood china (English), but they are discontinued sadly.

I will say that my egg cooker, which happily offers options of soft, medium and hard boiled eggs, is American made!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post

I will say that my egg cooker, which happily offers options of soft, medium and hard boiled eggs, is American made!
    Jenny, do the poached eggs in the cooker come out with the yolk on top (visible) or inside the white? I much prefer inside...
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    Jenny, do the poached eggs in the cooker come out with the yolk on top (visible) or inside the white? I much prefer inside...
    Both the egg cookers I've had offer poaching containers that IMO produce something nothing like a proper poached egg. You basically get a soft boiled egg that uses the container instead of the shell to run to keep it together.

If you love poached eggs, and can't master the proper method, I think there are units that you can put into a pot of water that more closely matches the texture you want than an egg cooker, which cooks with steam, not water.

As I said above, when I have leftover hollandaise (usually from asparagus the night before, yum), I make a softboiled egg, carefully peel it, and then put it on toast or in a bowl, and pour the sauce over it. It's not quite the same as a real poached egg, but at that point I'm really just looking for an excuse to eat the sauce anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    We had soft-boiled eggs several times a week for breakfast when I was young. My mother could do a perfect "four-minute" egg, firm white and runny yolk. Dad was the only one who used an egg cup. Mom would cut ours in half (a sharp rap with a knife all the way through the egg...quite a talent to do it without getting bits of shell in the egg!) and then scoop the egg from the shell into a bowl with the knife. We added a little butter, salt and pepper, mashed it all up and put it on toast. Loved them!
    That sounds mighty good.

Mom never gave a fck about salmonella and served soft boiled eggs every weekend and always smeared raw egg or sometimes quail egg on steak tartare. Hence my choice/modification of menu tends to scare quite a few people.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Another classic use of raw egg is in Caesar salad. Originally, it was made with raw egg, and in fancier restaurants a few decades ago, they'd even make it tableside for you. Today, I'm guessing that few Americans (or Canadians) make the dressing from scratch any more, and modern recipe books usually suggest coddling the egg first. Mind you, I can't imagine that a brief boiling is going to get the egg temperature to the levels someone posted earlier.

I do make Caesar salad dressing from scratch now and then, with the raw egg - it's the disgusting anchovies that I leave out! I also make homemade mayonnaise, but from what I understand, the process involved and other ingredients actually makes the eggs safer to consume. At least I hope so.

vCash
    Can you share the Caesar salad dressing recipe, please? My oldest DD hates anchovies, so it's hard to find a store brand she likes other than the silly pre-packed salad kits' packet.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast