Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

vCash
    I have egg cups and eat soft boiled eggs (but I live in Canada.) I have always been of the understanding that soft cooked is okay with Canadian eggs but not with American eggs. Not sure why, just one of those bits of random information taking up valuable brain space!

skatemommy, we still use lunch boxes in my house .... obviously I'm seriously behind the times!
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Soft-boiled eggs are disgusting I love eggs in many other forms, like scrambled, hard-boiled, omlets, quiche, etc, though.

But I do own an egg cup ... for storing my rings.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    I have egg cups and eat soft boiled eggs (but I live in Canada.) I have always been of the understanding that soft cooked is okay with Canadian eggs but not with American eggs. Not sure why, just one of those bits of random information taking up valuable brain space!

skatemommy, we still use lunch boxes in my house .... obviously I'm seriously behind the times!
    Are you sure you aren't thinking about Canadian bacon?

The original metal "Archies" lunchbox with matching glass thermos is worth $800-1000!
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Norlite View Post
    Don't know about Americans but this Canadian does.
    Me too. I had one growning up that was a Humpty Dumpty body and would always draw a face on the egg before I broke him open.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    I think it's two things: a) Americans are funny about how things are cooked, and b) beyond that, a lot of us genuinely don't like eggs. I will eat them if they are covered in at least two kinds of cheeses, sausage, mushrooms and/or tomatos to drown out the egg taste if I absolutely must, but it's not something I'd ever order. In fact, it would be harder for me to think of someone I know besides my father who does like eggs.
    If that is true, then a lot of us must be making up for those who do NOT like eggs because more than 70 billion eggs were eaten in the U.S. in 2000 which means more than 200 per capita/year. I suppose a good portion of those were eggs cleverly disguising so those eating them were unaware. More than you would ever want to know about egg consumption in the U.S. is in this report.

Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    I have always been of the understanding that soft cooked is okay with Canadian eggs but not with American eggs. Not sure why, just one of those bits of random information taking up valuable brain space!
    It might be that Canadian eggs are produced under better conditions -- i.e., not in humongous and often unsanitary (and inhumane) egg "factories" which are all too common in the U.S.

vCash
    Even the USDA has recommended against eating uncooked eggs because of potential salmonella contamination. http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Factsheets/...gs/index.asp#3

The giant egg farms that didn't sanitize or care for their livestock properly made salmonella contamination very common. That's why most pre-1970 recipes for Chocolate Mousse use egg whites, but more modern ones use meringue powder or whipping cream.

Canadian producers weren't affected. I guess your chicken coops are cleaner!

Steak Tartare (a dish with raw beef with raw egg) used to be popular prior to the 1970's too, when food safety became a priority. You can only find it on high-end restaurant menus now and they use Kobe beef with organic "Salmonella free" eggs.

DH and I like eggs, but the kids hate them. Easter-we usually decorate blown eggs, because I'm the only one who really eats hard-boiled eggs. DH likes fried, poached or boiled and the kids might nibble on a hard-boiled egg, but they just do it for the salt on the outside, lol.
    Last edited by FigureSpins; 01-06-2011 at 11:34 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ice dance View Post
    My sister will be going to the US in a few months, and we are doing some research on American culture and etiquette. We read today that most Americans don't use egg-cups when they eat boiled eggs. Is this true?
    I reside in USA, but was born in Russia. I have egg-cups, use them often, usually buy mine in Delft, 12 at a time, and they last me and my family for 2-3 years.

I love half-boiled eggs.

Still enjoy eating them, one day i put the sharp tip up, another day the obtuse tip up, and go in my thoughts to Gulliver Travels, wondering what argument I would make to the opposition for using sharp or obtuse egg-tip today.

vCash
    Canadian here but have been living in US for a long time. We grew up with egg cups and still sometimes use them, but we don't eat soft-boiled eggs very often.

vCash
    No, it's because eggs are gross and are only useful as vehicles for stuff that is tasty.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    I think soft-boiled eggs have gone out of fashion in the US (possibly due to the safety regulations previously mentioned). My grandmother had a set of egg-cups and ate soft boiled eggs often; my mom didn't have the egg-cups and would occasionally soft boil an egg for us; and I had to look up the proper way to soft boil an egg since I never do it.

They are tasty, but scrambled is just so much easier for me to make.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    I drew this egg cup as a prize at a Christmas party last year. Haven't used it yet.

Might squick some people out, but I love dishes that use raw egg such as sukiyaki, yukke and steak tartare.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    I like Steak Tartare and I usually make a small portion for myself when we have hamburgers. Grosses the others out royally.

Eggs are delicious and versatile, providing a good source of protein. Separate them and add lemon and/or sugar and you have lemon meringue pie, my favorite! (Hate crusts, though.)

I remember the American Egg Board's successful advertising slogan was "the incredible, edible egg"

My ex-SIL, who was a vegetarian, always said that the egg was nature's perfect food.
    Eggs were her main source of protein, usually hard-boiled.

vCash
    I have egg cups in the cupboard, but don't eat cooked eggs unless they're in something like cookies or chocolate cake! I do eat raw eggs on occasion, when I throw one in the blender with milk and chocolate syrup and possibly a scoop of vanilla ice cream. It's the only way my mum could get me to eat eggs!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    I drew this egg cup as a prize at a Christmas party last year. Haven't used it yet.:
    Ooops! first I misread and thought you "drew/created the design and won a prize at some designers' X-mas party" and thought "oh wow! nice post-retro style, I wonder what other drawings allezfred has in the are of industrial design"....

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    I drew this egg cup as a prize at a Christmas party last year. Haven't used it yet.
    i want one,, that is so cute

still dont want to eat an egg in it though
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    I love soft boiled eggs! They are a comfort food to me as I remember my mom would make them for me only if I stayed home from school with a bad cold. We didn't use egg cups, just placed them in a small bowl.

They have to be cooked just so as I don't like the white part to be too runny. Sprinkle on lots of salt and dip my toast into the yolk and scoop out the whites with a spoon. Delicious with a glass of orange juice.

Guess what I'm making for breakfast tomorrow.

http://www.factsfacts.com/EggCups/EggCups.htm
    Last edited by Cupid; 01-07-2011 at 12:06 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupid View Post
    I love soft boiled eggs! They are a comfort food to me as I remember my mom would make them for me only if I stayed home from school with a bad cold. We didn't use egg cups, just placed them in a small bowl.

They have to be cooked just so as I don't like the white part to be too runny. Sprinkle on lots of salt and dip my toast into the yolk and scoop out the whites with a spoon. Delicious with a glass of orange juice.

Guess what I'm making for breakfast tomorrow.
    Do we have the same mom? You're right .. the white part should be firm but the yoke runny. My mom always cut "toast sticks" for dipping. Yum!
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Forget the shock that many of you hadn't even heard of egg cups. I'm shocked that you don't eat soft boiled eggs! What kind of childhoods did you have without egg and soldiers?

I'm almost equally shocked that chocolate mousse can be made without egg whites. Why not just use pasturised eggs, which are USDA approved?

I don't currently own an egg cup, but did have soft boiled eggs with a friend last week (for the first time in years). We used shot glasses

vCash
    I make a wicked chocolate mousse with egg whites that was in a family cookbook from the 1970's. I made it once for DH's family and three of them freaked out when they found out there were eggs in it. "Ewwww...I'm gonna be sick. I hate eggs!" Then they added "Well, I'm glad I finished my second helping." Drama kings and queens.

With today's touchy allergy issues, I don't dare make it unless I know everyone can eat eggs. Now I want Mousse for dessert and soft-boiled eggs for breakfast.

vCash
    I love eggs, but I find soft boiled eggs revolting. And I've never used egg cups.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast