View Poll Results: Who's the best example of WEHT Junior Ladies World Champion?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kristina Oblasova

6 5.36%
  • Daria Timoshenko

13 11.61%
  • Sydne Vogel

25 22.32%
  • Elena Ivanova

4 3.57%
  • Kumiko Koiwai

5 4.46%
  • Jessica Mills

3 2.68%
  • Cindy Bortz

10 8.93%
  • Jennifer Kirk

5 4.46%
  • Yukina Ota

15 13.39%
  • Natalia Gorbenko

5 4.46%
  • Ann Patrice McDonough

20 17.86%
  • Other (please specify)

1 0.89%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallFairy View Post
    y
    .... and what about that other left out Russian skating for Armenia...with the great spins! What's her name again... My mind is completely not working now!
    Julia Lebedeva?
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Yes,Lebedeva it was,thanks a lot! I loved Yulia Vorobieva,her I remember! she was so sweet,and had almost no ice time in Azerbadsjan,no wonder all her triples were pre-rotated under-rotated "doubles",but boy could she spin! I remember at 98 olympics,svt-commentators said her federation wanted her to quit and start coaching,but she wanted to continue. I felt so sorry for her!

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    You mean Yulia Vorobieva, who skated for Azerbaijan? She did have great spins. And her career seems to have concluded ca. 2001.
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallFairy View Post
    I loved Yulia Vorobieva,her I remember! she was so sweet,and had almost no ice time in Azerbadsjan,no wonder all her triples were pre-rotated under-rotated "doubles",but boy could she spin! I remember at 98 olympics,svt-commentators said her federation wanted her to quit and start coaching,but she wanted to continue. I felt so sorry for her!
    Yulia was the last and 2-time Soviet Champion. Maria Butryskaya finished on the podium behind her at the last Soviet Championships, then placed ahead of Yulia at the first Russian Championships post Soviet Union. Yulia's freeskating technique was very secure and I think she would have been able to beat Maria, Oksana, and Markova had they all been on one Soviet team circa 1992-1998. Natalie Lebedeva would have been no match for this group post figures. Irina was destined to become the champion she was.

Oksana was lucky that Victor funded her skating, and Maria was in a better place between the rock and the hard place. Yulia was just in the middle of no where.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 01-08-2011 at 06:57 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    Interesting to hear Toller Cranston's commentary on junior skaters in general...I'm relieved he cut them some slack on presentation (kind of).

From a purely technical perspective - the difficulty of Cindy's program actually stacks up very well with the ladies at senior Worlds (in 1987)
    It was very sad to see her at 1988 US Nationals - she had grown up and filled out, and the jumps were not so "easy" for her anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hH3lLs1WK4

vCash
    Note the best World Championship results for the poll choices:

Natalia Gorbenko - 8th (1989)
    Kumiko Koiwai - 16th (1995)
    Daria Timoshenko - 29th (2004)
    Jennifer Kirk - 17th (2005)

For the others, the following ladies' best result at their respective Nationals:

Kristina Oblasova - 3rd (2004)
    Sydne Vogel - 4th (1996)
    Ann Patrice McDonough - 4th (2003)
    Elena Ivanova - 4th (1995)
    Yukina Ota - 4th (2003)
    Cindy Bortz - 7th (1988)
    Jessica Mills - 8th (1994)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    Kumiko Koiwai
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icDxkaDQ34k

She was coached by Machiko Yamada. I remember people were calling her the next Midori Ito.. I believe she was practicing 3 axel and landing them in practice.
    Surprisingly, this girl had good basic skating skills and jumping techniques. Most of Yamada's students have odd techniques and lacking in good skating skills.
    Thanks for posting. She has beautiful skating skills - lovely knee bend and ankle flexion which help her get the speed. Reminded me of Yuka.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Natalia Gorbenko among the less known names, but McDonough among the well known ones.
    Last edited by a56; 01-09-2011 at 04:56 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123