Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

vCash

Caroline Zhang changes coaches to Peter Oppegard

I figured it was better to have a new thread...

Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    She now lists Peter Oppegard as her coach on Ice Network! Reported by Lynn Rutherford on Twitter!!
    This news is confirmed in Zhang's USFS/IceNetwork bio: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/de...=100051&mode=I

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Here is a link to the tweet: http://twitter.com/LynnRutherford/st...20526724112385

Coaching change for CZhang; now she is in Artesia: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/de...051&mode=I

vCash
    Wow, Gambill didn't last too long, did she? And wasn't there another short-lived coach last year, between the two tenures of Migzhu Li...Charlene Wong, I think?

So Caroline is now one of Yu-Na Kim's training mates, which is surely a positive. I'm afraid, though, that if Caroline fails to make, say, Top 5 at Nationals, she'll bolt to yet another coach. There's an air of desperation in all of this, as if the problems are solely with the coaches and not within herself.
    Last edited by Frau Muller; 01-05-2011 at 07:29 PM.

vCash
    training with Yu-Na will give her an indication of her shortcomings in speed and flow. more than any coach can tell her.
    I think it's a good move, if only, because of that

vCash
    I am surprised by this news, right before Nationals too. Caroline has been spotted at Artesia quite a bit and I thought that it was a little strange. I also read that she and her family moved to be closer to her coach's training facility. Goes to show you can't believe everything you read online. lol Training with YuNa is a plus tho. IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
    training with Yu-Na will give her an indication of her shortcomings in speed and flow. more than any coach can tell her.
    I think it's a good move, if only, because of that
    This is now her fourth coaching change in two seasons, albeit one change was to go back to her original coach. This does not bode well. It takes a lot longer than a few months to determine whether the change is a good one, and she's hasn't stayed with either of the other two coaches she moved to long enough to know whether it would work or not.

While it might appear that Caroline went backwards under Tammi Gambill, realistically speaking some backwards movement is required in order to go forward. (See Mao Asada).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyjake5 View Post
    Goes to show you can't believe everything you read online..........
    Exactly. It's like 5 or 6 people are quoting and tweeting the IceNetwork bio with no news report.

vCash
    I agree, Dragonlady.

I don't see how constant coaching changes are going to help Caroline. The technical flaws in her skating are such that they will require a lot of hard work and likely some poor results to correct. It seems Caroline and her mother are looking for a quick fix that is not going to happen. As it was, Gambill had done wonders for Caroline's 3F technique, which really speaks to her credit, IMO.

vCash
    Hmm. Surprising news! Although training with Yuna is a good thing, I'm not sure Peter is necessarily known as a good technical coach. Isn't that what she needs most now? Tammy may not be well-known but I heard she is good at working with the basics.

vCash
    I hope that she's not playing musical coaches because she got impatient with the hard work of changing technique under Tammy Gambill. Or worse, her mother got involved

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I hope that she's not playing musical coaches because she got impatient with the hard work of changing technique under Tammy Gambill. Or worse, her mother got involved
    BINGO! (I bet.)

vCash
    Shades of Mira Leung.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    This is now her fourth coaching change in two seasons, albeit one change was to go back to her original coach.
    See: Nicole Bobek.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    I think Nicole holds the record for most coaching changes.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    This is now her fourth coaching change in two seasons, albeit one change was to go back to her original coach. This does not bode well. It takes a lot longer than a few months to determine whether the change is a good one, and she's hasn't stayed with either of the other two coaches she moved to long enough to know whether it would work or not.
    And to think people thought Bobek was flighty. She doesn't hold a candle to La Zhang.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    I don't see how constant coaching changes are going to help Caroline. The technical flaws in her skating are such that they will require a lot of hard work and likely some poor results to correct. It seems Caroline and her mother are looking for a quick fix that is not going to happen. As it was, Gambill had done wonders for Caroline's 3F technique, which really speaks to her credit, IMO.
    Yep. Scott Hamilton once said of Nicole Bobek's 8 coaches in 8 years something along the lines of "with so many voices wandering in your head, the question you have to ask yourself is 'who is right?'" Unfortunately for Caroline, she needs so much more skating help than Nicole ever did. If Zhang had Bobek's basic skating and presentation ability, she'd definitely be making US World teams.
    Last edited by museksk8r; 01-05-2011 at 08:57 PM.

vCash
    I really liked Gambill, she worked miracles for Zhang!

vCash
    Caroline and her mother run the show. Any coach is just a figurehead.

vCash
    Sigh. So much for her really taking the time, knuckling down, listening to criticisms and truly fixing her faults.

vCash
    nm
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast