Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Ladies World Junior Championsips 2000

Some kind person posted 5 videos of this competition on youtube.
    I guess the talking point was that Cohen needed to place top 3 to qualify for senior worlds (as per the age rules at that time).

Having watched all the videos, I'm just utterly perplexed by the results. I'm sure someone wuz robbed, but I don't know who. I think maybe Dorofejev should have won the free. But there are valid reasons for them all.

-Kirk had 7 triples but all tiny, wrong edges and a couple of UR's (2nd after the sp)

-Meier had huge jumps but maybe not the flow out of a couple of them that she may have wanted...still, there's a case to be made for her to win (3rd after the sp)

-Stellato had good everything nothing great ...I'd definitely have had her 5th on the free (1st after sp)

-Tamara had speed, all the jumps, two AMAZING loops the best landings of all... (5th after the sp)

-Cohen did a lot of her jumps and had those fricken MITF and basics which should have been reflected in the technical scores ...there's a case to be made for her to win the free too... (7th after the sp)

ANyone know who was 4th and 6th after the short?

Very interesting competition, cheers to the uploader.

Sasha Cohen

Sarah Meier
    Tamara Dorofejev
    Jennifer Kirk
    Deanna Stellato

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by poths View Post
    ANyone know who was 4th and 6th after the short?
    Yukari Nakano and Elina Kettunen, respectively.

http://www.eiskunstlauf-ecke.de/arch...00/jwm00.shtml

vCash
    WOW ! What an amazing competition !
    I had never watched it before ! They all skated so well.

vCash
    this is voidy!

vCash
    It's very interesting to see the skaters who competed at these championships and are STILL in the sport:

Ladies
    Meier (3rd) - Also competed at the 1999 WJCH
    Anna Jurkiewicz (27th) - also competed at 1999 WJCH

Men
    Ryan Bradley (5th) - also 1999
    Fedor Andreev (7th) - also 1999
    Joubert (15th)
    Berntsson (22nd)
    VDP (26th)

Pairs
    Savchenko (1st)
    Zhangs (4th)
    Robin Szolkowy (10th)
    Jerome Blanchard (14th)

Dance
    Massimo Scali (4th)
    Nora Hoffmann (17th)

I'm that Pang and Tong were at the 1998 WJCH!
    Even more is the fact that Faielli competed at the 1997 WJCH...

BUT can anyone guess which current skater competed in the flippin' 1996 WJCH!???

Without cheating?!!!!
    Last edited by poths; 01-05-2011 at 08:14 PM.

vCash
    it's interesting to see the american girls seemed to have the style the judges preferred (the ballerina pretty princess type) and the europeans had the huge jumps and flow, but rather dull choreography. I wouldn't know how to judge it myself

P.S: Its the first time I see Meier do a 3 loop! What happened to the hungarian girl? huge potential there

vCash
    BUT can anyone guess which current skater competed in the flippin' 1996 WJCH!???[/B]

Without cheating?!!!!
    Since Gizmo hasn't competed this season, I'm going to say Suguri.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Yes, I remember this event and there was a lot of about Kirk beating Stelato. Poth's pretty much summed up the reasons why in his summary of Kirk's performance; URs and tiny jumps/skating.

Stellato was awesome and it sucks she gave it up so quickly. Here she is just a year later. Yes, it's a cheesfest, but she chose to do her competitive LP and skated cleanly with 6 triples. She was also very expressive and had major potential.

Imagine if she bumped Hughes off the 2002 team?

vCash

BUT can anyone guess which current skater competed in the flippin' 1996 WJCH!???

Without cheating?!!!!
    Is it one of the people on your list?

Because if it is, I'm picking DivaNora.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    Yes, I remember this event and there was a lot of about Kirk beating Stelato. Poth's pretty much summed up the reasons why in his summary of Kirk's performance; URs and tiny jumps/skating.
    I recall that during the warmup Jenny Kirk was fired up, whereas Deanna Stellato looked like she was afraid she was about to lose. (I was sitting just behind the boards, where the photographers sit, so that I could toss out bouquets.) Stellato pulled herself together for her free skate, but in my opinion did not perform as well as Kirk, so I wasn't surprised at the result, although I preferred Stellato's skating style.

Even if Dorofejev had won the free skate, she would have finished third overall behind both Kirk and Stellato. Sarah Meier was also not in a position to win just by finishing first in the free skate.

I became a big fan at that competition of Meier, whom I got to see several more times over the years, and Mikkeline Kierkegaard, who struggled with injuries thereafter and was not in any competition that I was able to see in person or on television.

vCash

Without cheating?!!!!
    Plushenko? but since this year he's out, I'll go with Suguri too

vCash

Without cheating?!!!!
    Actually, there's two! (Sorry, I peeked.)

(An aside: wow, were the Canadian ladies so dire at that time that none were sent to 1996 Jr Worlds?)

vCash
    I just realized who was the second (yes, sorry, wikipedia...)/ third if like me you still count in Plushenko: just...wow!!!

vCash
    -Stellato had good everything nothing great ...I'd definitely have had her 5th on the free (1st after sp)

Deanna had some of the best quality jumps and spins in the entire event (her 3Lz combo, 3F, speed, ice coverage, skating skills and death drop are ).

Even with only 5 triples, I think an argument can be made that she should have beaten Jenny for the gold medal.

vCash

Stellato was awesome and it sucks she gave it up so quickly. Here she is just a year later. Yes, it's a cheesfest, but she chose to do her competitive LP and skated cleanly with 6 triples. She was also very expressive and had major potential.

Imagine if she bumped Hughes off the 2002 team?
    Stellato had no choice. She had a career-ending injury late in 2000 (after many, many injuries) and that was that.

vCash
    Oh, was it injury?

I had heard otherwise.

vCash
    I've always had a tough time with this one too. I agree about Kirk's tiny jumps, but the one thing that she had over pretty much everyone except for Cohen was a cohesive, well-packaged program. I think it was actually the program, more than the two extra triples, that put her over Stellato. This is a competition that actually makes a good case for COP to help sort through what should be valued more.

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    WHO IS THIS???????? And why have I never heard of her?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-FAN View Post
    WHO IS THIS???????? And why have I never heard of her?

She competed at a time when Hungary had Sebesteyen and Poth who were both top 6 in Europe.

IIRC she kept Poth off the world team in 2000..... and did a 3 toe/3loop in the SP (wasn't perfect).

Despite showing such promise, her 3rd Euros proved to be her worst and she only placed 23rd (I'd love to see that performance out of interest - was it puberty? Nerves ?)

She went to worlds in 2003 (never saw any of her performances) and finished 31st. She also competed at 2004 Hungarian Nationals for the last time, and placed third. By this stage, Pavuk was on the scene and Sebesteyen/Pavuk went to Euros finishing 4th and 1st. Tamara then goes off the radar. Shame.

vCash
    Oh, was it injury?

I had heard otherwise.
    I think she pulled a hip flexor on a double axel? I'm not 100% sure thats the correct injury. Manleywoman skatecast interviewed her former coach and they talked about her injury.

http://www.manleywoman.com/episode-4-cindy-caprel/

I'm pretty sure this is the one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast