Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maija View Post
    I took Daisuke Takahashi to an tv interview. We had to use an unusual route in the ice hall to get him there quickly without meeting fans and other journalists.
    Maija dear, such a dull answer
    It really was a chaos in Finlandia Trophy 2009 with Daisuke, the Japanese media was so enthusiastic. I guess Daisuke was just happy to get away from it for a while an being lead somewhere more calm by a nice lady like you.

vCash

a few

Jeni Meno Todd Sand- I met them years ago when Skate America was in Detroit. Todd was the kind of guy you would love to have as a neighbor. Jeni was an impatient monster...

Laurent Tobel- saw him at Borders checking out music no less in Royal Oak Mi. Smiled, shook my hand and went about his business.

Shizuka Arakawa- Saw her train at the Detroit Skating clun in the off season b4 the oly's. Very nice but TINY!!!!!! I shook her hand and it was like the most delicate thing.

Alissa- The way she is on television

Virtue Moir- Tessa is the spokesperson for the team. She is rediculously nice. She treated me like i was her first fan. Scott was "out to lunch" with regards to the convo and could care less but he did speak.

Aaron Parchem- super nice!

Ryan Jahnke- Super nice

Andrea Aggeler- Very aware that she is really pretty and had the stuck up attitude to go with it.

Gary Beacom/Gia Guddat- weird

Scott wilson/Charlene wong- Could talk to them for hours! nice nice nice

Paul Wylie- Very nice as well. He flys around the ice even in jeans and and a down jacket while he was watching Jeremy Abbot while he was working with Yuka. Just nice and seams like he's taking it all in.

thats it!

vCash
    Forgot to mention that while I didn't meet her in person, around 2005 I sent Alissa Czisny a letter with some photos asking if she would kindly autograph them. She sent me a lovely handwritten letter and signed all my photos (some of which were cut out from Skating magazine ). One of the magazine photos was tiny and she included an actual print of that image in a much larger size, then slipped a sheet of cardboard into the envelope so it wouldn't get ruined!

vCash
    I have had a few encounters mostly while volunteering at competitions. Since he hasn't been mentioned, I have to say one of my best "close-to-skater experiences" has been with Emanuel Sandhu. He was super nice to me, even though I was a just silly old skating fan at Worlds. I have seen him be super nice and extra accomodating to his fans on more than one occaision.

Other skaters that I have found extra nice were Tiffany Scott, John Zimmerman, Viktor Petrenko, Patrick Chan, Ryan Jahnke, Ryan Bradley, Angela Nikodinov, Tim Goebel, & Alexander Zhulin. Edited because I forgot to add Megan Wing, & Aaron Lowe.
    Last edited by rudi; 01-09-2011 at 10:36 PM.

vCash
    At 2004 nationals in Atlanta, I was talking to someone in the concourse right before the ladies free skate. When I turned around to go to my seat, I turned dead into Laureano Ibarra and my hand landed on his crotch. I was so embarrassed, but he was really nice about it. I don't know if he would have been so nice about it if he knew how much I enjoyed it
    Last edited by Allen; 01-10-2011 at 12:53 AM.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

what a glorious day!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    At 2004 nationals in Atlanta, I was talking to someone in the concourse right before the ladies free skate. When I turned around to go to my seat, I turned dead into Laureano Ibarra and my hand landed on his crotch. I was so embarrassed, but he was really nice about it.
    Thanks. I needed that today.

vCash
    I've luckily had a lot of opportunities to meet pro skaters at receptions and the like, but usually am too shy to do much more than hand them photos, and from time to time ask for an autograph or a photo, even after years of shooting shows. They've all been nice and friendly, to varying degrees of personability, but there are a few that have stood out.

Kurt Browning is obviously the one I've interacted with the most, by far, due to the Kurt Files, and it's always a joy to talk to him, and a joy to watch him interact with others. One of the things I like most about him is he's very natural and real - he treats everyone like friends and has no problem teasing someone (in a friendly way) or making fun of himself while interacting with them. He almost always makes himself available to every last person who wants to talk to him, so he's often the last to leave a reception. It's not just polite friendliness. And he's especially good with kids.

John Zimmerman is a total sweetheart. I was at warmups once, sitting near someone he knew, and he made a point of making eye contact and smiling when he passed by, and he introduced himself to me even though I was trying not to bother him (like I don't know who you are, John). He also just started chatting animatedly with me at a reception line at CSOI, until I realized I was holding up the line and better get going. I'm not sure he ever actually remembers he's met me, but he's unfailingly sweet and friendly anyway.

I've inadvertently dissed/brushed off Yuka Sato because I never expected in a million years she'd remember me, so when she smiled and was like "It's so nice to see you again!", I was 1) so taken aback I barely reacted and 2) so fixated on my goal of getting Kevin Hearn of BNL's autograph (he was standing with her) that I more or less brushed her aside (I tend not to change course very fast). Luckily she didn't seem offended, and has always been super nice when I've seen her.

I got in an unexpected conversation with Victor Kraatz at a CSOI reception, along with a friend, when he asked us how we were liking Toronto, and we started chatting about plays and ballet, and various other things. Super-friendly and nice.

I am too intimidated and awed by Scott Hamilton, who was my first favorite skater way back when, to actually approach him, but at Kaleidoscope this year I passed him a lot in hallways and rooms (I was shooting the show) and he was always friendly and twinkly and smiled at me with acknowledgment. He was also super-friendly to everyone I saw him interact with.

I finally got to meet Paul Wylie at Kaleidoscope (along with his wife), and he was super-nice, very down-to-earth, and very intelligent. We got into a conversation about what I do for a living and what my company did, and he asked a lot of smart questions. I very much enjoyed that.

Most recently, I met Violetta Afanasieva and Pete Dack at Celebration on Ice and they were super-super nice. Genuinely thankful for the photos I gave them and genuinely appreciative of my interest and enjoyment of their skating. Just very real, very nice people. I really liked them.

Jennifer Robinson, Emmanuel Sandhu, Jeff Buttle, Shae-Lynn Bourne, Joannie Rochette, Todd Sand, Josef Sabovcik ... they were all particularly nice. I'm sure I'm leaving out a few. I've generally had good skater experiences, though as I said, for the most part I usually have minimal interaction because I'm just too shy to talk to them. And I understand that not everybody has the personality to feel comfortable interacting with hundreds of random strangers who act like they know you, so I cut the more withdrawn distant skaters a lot of slack.

vCash
    Have to add this one. Had fun with Tomas last night. I caught him playing of the floor with a couple of kids before the show. Hes funny and very nice. He also informed me that there will be 4 Michael Jackson FS at Euros. His will be the best!

vCash
    At SA in Reading, I had maybe one (or three) cosmos more than I should have at the official hotel bar, on an empty stomach. There sitting across from us was Murrrrrvanidze and Novkiov, minus Kulikhova. Anyway, Murvvy and Novikov's agent? friend? coach? were trying to ah-heemm, be friendly towards a couple of FSUers. I, in my drunken state, told him (or more accurately, slurred at him), "You have nice shoulders, and you're pretty. Shame about the skating." Luckily, I don't think their English was good enough to understand the backhanded compliment.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    At 2004 nationals in Atlanta, I was talking to someone in the concourse right before the ladies free skate. When I turned around to go to my seat, I turned dead into Laureano Ibarra and my hand landed on his crotch. I was so embarrassed, but he was really nice about it. I don't know if he would have been so nice about it if he knew how much I enjoyed it
    How mortifying for you.... But thanks for giving us a chuckle!

vCash
    OMG. The Murve and friends totally tried to lure deltask8r and I into their room in Reading. Just to chat, I'm sure

Johnny is lovely. He complimented my pink leopard coat.

And Evgeni Plushenko was nice enough to sit down with my friends and I for about 30 minutes at Bofrost in 2002.

vCash
    Last year at Stars On Ice, which Paul Wylie attended, and my husband went up to him and asked for an autograph on his ticket and gave it to me! Paul and family sat just a few rows in front of us. That's the closest so far, but maybe I'll have a close encounter of some kind at US Nationals!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234