Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Tranquillo
    vCash
    I once had someone knock on my door and tell me they were there to return my wallet. Well this girl grew up in a big city and if they thought they could trick me with that scam , they had to be kidding! Until I checked my purse and saw that I was missing my wallet.

This nice guy found it in the parking lot of a store where it had fallen out of my purse, and drove at least 25 minutes to get to my house and return the wallet. He said he came right away because he hoped I could get it back before I started cancelling stuff and he couldn't find my phone number. He refused any rewards and all my money was in the wallet.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    That's so nice of him! Like you, I would have been initially suspicious

My sister is the luckiest person ever when it comes to this stuff. Twice, she's lost her ID while at bars/clubs. The first time, she called the bar and they'd found it and kept it for her. The second time, the person who found it - in a city she doesn't live in, by the way - found her through Facebook as they had several mutual friends.
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Years ago I found a wallet on the bus on my way to work, that had a keyring with keys on it, ID, and also a wedding ring inside it . I meant to call the guy as soon as I got to work, but we were slammed the second I got there (catering job), so I forgot about it until I arrived at my second job late in the day. When I called, he had locksmiths in his office and told them to put down their tools. I apologized for not calling sooner but he didn't care. He brought me a bouquet of flowers when he came to pick it up that evening (at work).

I couldn't help but wonder why he wasn't wearing the wedding ring and just how much trouble I'd just gotten him out of.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    I returned a wallet that I found on the bus last year once. I was actually going to travel the next day and so didn't want to take it with me; I left it at the lost and found but took the guy's name card so I could email him. He was very grateful and seemed very nice... but then proceeded to try to ask me out, three times, and I just kept declining since I was already seeing someone I moved a few months afterwards and fortunately never heard from him again.

I've lost my phone twice (both times it fell out of my bag) and both times someone was kind enough to return it to me. I like to think that hopefully if I return stuff, people will return mine.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DickButtonFan View Post
    I lost my cell phone once at the university I went to. I knew I had left it in the bathroom so I went to check and it was gone only 5 minutes after I had just been in there. I had to go into an office nearby and sure enough they had my phone. I really wish they would have just left my phone where it was, I have no idea how they found it that fast it's not like there were many people around.
    I left my phone in a stall in a mall bathroom, realized it gone as was I walked out the door, immediately ran back in but it was already stolen!

I'd have been ecstatic if it had shown up at Mall Security.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    I'd have been ecstatic if it had shown up at Mall Security.
    Yes, I don't understand this whole "I'm really offended when nice people turn my things in." I'd rather have my lost items turned in to Lost and Found than left lying around for someone to steal.

I work in my rink's office a few nights/week and you would not believe the things people leave behind - skates, shoes, expensive coats, and most of all, hockey equipment. Kind people turn expensive hockey sticks in to the office all the time, and we have to hide them from some of the kids who work there because THEY will steal the sticks. I think that's pretty darn awful. At least we can put small items like phones and wallets in a safe, and we always make an effort to call the owner if we can figure out who owns the stuff.

As for the coat and the detachable hood thing, I owned a jacket for years and years before I realized it even HAD a hood! The hood was rolled up in a zipped collar. I guess I never really examined the collar very closely to even notice the zipper, and I never thought the jacket looked like it should have a hood anyway.

vCash
    Never. Just my umbrella...and it was raining, a lot !

vCash
    I've had War Amps mail back my keys three times over the years. They always get a donation from me. It means somebody found your keys and put them in the mail box. I lost my good watch last year in Niagara Falls - it came off in a change room at a clothing store. I didn't notice it gone until I got home, but called and they had it. They did ask me to confirm the make (it was a rather expensive treat to myself, 15 years ago), and I drove all the way back the next day to pick it up.
    I consider myself the most unobservant person in the world, so I don't generally notice things left behind by others, but if I did, I'd call or hand them in. My Dad left his wallet behind at a bar/restaurant once. The bartender told my Dad a friend of his took it to return, but the friend denied ever taking it. Three charges were put on the credit card before my Dad realized he wasn't going to get it back.

Go Denmark!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Johnston View Post
    Yes, I don't understand this whole "I'm really offended when nice people turn my things in." I'd rather have my lost items turned in to Lost and Found than left lying around for someone to steal.
    agreed! I would always pick a wallet up, in a resturant I would give it to the staff, elsewhere I would give it to the police.

for clothing items, especially childrens, if there were no clear lost and found (as a skating rink or a school) I would put it up, on bush, bench or something so that it is easy to see if someone came back looking for it. I have found many lost gloves and hats in random places.

vCash
    Another ditto in that I would rather someone turn my item in than leave it. Think of it this way. When you come across something lying lost, YOU might not take it, but the next person coming along might not be as scrupulous. The smart thing to do is to turn it in. It may not be as convenient for the person looking for it, but it sure is a whole lot more sensible and safe.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    Another ditto in that I would rather someone turn my item in than leave it. Think of it this way. When you come across something lying lost, YOU might not take it, but the next person coming along might not be as scrupulous. The smart thing to do is to turn it in. It may not be as convenient for the person looking for it, but it sure is a whole lot more sensible and safe.
    Absolutely - but taking it home to your own personal "lost and found" is just weird. I might do that if an item has some sort of ID because I could contact the person myself and know they'd get it back; otherwise I'd turn it in to the closest place with a lost and found.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234