Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Detroit Skating Club Shows, June 9-12, 2011 - post reviews, photos, etc. here!

I thought we should have a new thread for reports/reviews/photos from this show - link to the press release: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...e_pressrelease
    Performance Schedule:
    Thursday, June 9: 7:00 p.m.
    Friday, June 10: 7:00 p.m.
    Saturday, June 11: 1:00 p.m. & 7:00 p.m.
    Sunday, June 12: 2:00 p.m.

Guest Skaters Scheduled to Perform:

Thursday and Friday
    Meryl Davis & Charlie White

Thursday
    Alissa Czisny
    Takahiko Kozuka

All performances
    Kaitlyn Weaver & Andrew Poje

Tickets ($15, $25, & $45) are on sale now and may be purchased at Detroit Skating Club; located at 888 Denison Court, Bloomfield Hills, 48302. To charge tickets by phone, call (248) 332-3000, ext. 101. For more information visit www.dscclub.com.

A special Magical Night for Japan, Red Cross Tsunami Relief performance will be on Thursday evening.
    The Shibutanis are skating tonight but I don't know if it is their only performance (ditto for Czisny and Kozuka who are listed for Thursday only, and for Suzuki who isn't listed in the Guest Skaters section of the press release).

Looking forward to reports!

vCash
    Detroit Free Press article today: http://www.freep.com/article/2011060...mi-set-tonight
    Exhibitions also will be performed by guest skaters from Japan, including men's world silver medalist Takahiko Kozuka, and 2010 ladies Olympian Akiko Suzuki.

"That means a lot to me personally" that the Japanese skaters are performing, said Sato, 1994 ladies world champion. "We want to try to raise as much money as possible for the Red Cross in Japan to help them recover."

Although the exhibition is sold out, about 80 tickets remain for a postshow reception ($45) featuring the cast around 10 p.m. Tickets are available at the door or by calling 248-332-3000 (ext. 101 or 102) today.

vCash
    Just got back from the show! Hope I can remember everything. Picture will be posted later. The theme was Magical Evening On Ice/benifit for Japan. A couple of the young lady soloist are doing double Ripon lutzes! You can tell Adam has been around the club. Kaitlyn Weave and Andrew Poje were the 1st guest to skate! I have to just put this out there..Andrew is a freaken rock star! He would make it if he ever wants to go into TV or movies. He even has the voice!
    Andrea Best, Massimo Scali, Andrew and Kaitlyn, Daniel Eaton, all choreographed numbers!
    Weaver and Poje did Stepping Out With My Baby by Irving Berlin. Next was D&W with the exibition from Worlds. He's a nerd.
    The ice dancers minus Charlie and Meryl from DSC, came out and skated to Umbrella. This included Aldridge, Eaton, Arnold, Trojek, Hawayek, Weave, Poje,(Michael) Bramante
    , Cowan, Olson, Zach Donahue and Madison Hubbell (although I really didn't see the last 2 there). Also there was a techno Singing in The Rain part!
    Georgia Glastris (she skates for Greece) did a wonderful solo number to Everybody wants to be a Cat! The girl has endless energy!

Alissa came out and skated to Techno Dancing With Myself. Can her spins get any better! Just amazing. You can see she has gained a ton of confidence from last year!
    Comic releif from the guys of DSC! Robn Hood! This included Trevor Young, Kopka--Ross
    , Poje, Cowan, Eaton and Gabe Woodruff! Cowan did a 2 axel!
    Just about the cutest thing was the little ones out there doing Cinderella. Totally stole the show! Next the benifit shpw!
    Last edited by mysticchic; 06-10-2011 at 07:56 PM.

vCash
    Yuka came out for part 3 and talked about the earthquake in Japan. She introduced Kozuka who came out and repeated what she said in Japanesse. They also thanked everyone for coming out tonight. This is not in order.For once I decided to just put the pen down and watch.
    I saw Akiko Suzuki at DSC last week, and I wanted to request that she skate her Westside Story program. I really love that program and how she shines skating it! Well she skated to a modified program to it with vocals. I am so amazed at her, Alissa, and Kozuka. You don't hear a sound from the blade until the footwork part or the jumps.
    Jr ladies champ Haruka Imai was wonderful. Just a ball of fire out there.

Alissa skated to Moon River. 2 split jumps in a row, spins, sprials! Oh my!
    Kozuka- they introduced him as a rock star in Japan. He came out in international orange pants...he skated to Hello by the Beatles and then Men at Work Safty Dance. Right off the bat he landed a 3 axel!
    Stefania Berton and Ondrej Hotarek. Classical piece with vocals. The lifts were really great! Ondrej explained to me later they were kind of dizzy and off since they just got off the plane.
    Davis and White. The FS Tango!! Nuff said!
    Weaver and Poje..they have a lift that is crazy. She puts her boot on his and her other leg over his head in the splits...
    Highlight of the night for me was getting to see Yuka Sato skate live. I have never seen her skate live. She started off the finale. It was MJ's Heal the World. So the only ones left on my bucket list (for ladies)is the Kween and Yuna to see live. She is so amazing.
    If someone wants to add the jump content feel free to add.
    Last edited by mysticchic; 06-10-2011 at 06:35 PM.

vCash
    Thank you, mysticchic, for your report! Sounds like it was a great show!! I sooo wanted to see Yuka skate to Heal the World!!

vCash
    Thanks a lot for the report!! I didn't know that Stefania and Ondrej were going to be in the show, did I miss something?

vCash
    Thanks for taking the time to post your review! What an amazing night it must have been. Glad you could be there!!!

vCash
    Great detailed report. Thank you!

vCash
    I am going to the DSC show this Saturday (1:00). Does anyone know if any special guest skaters will be there? The DSC page wasn't very clear. Sounds like the Thursday show was fab! Wish I could have made it to that one!

vCash
    Jeremy Abbott didn't skate?

vCash
    Thanks, mysticchic! Looking forward to seeing your backstage photos!

Quote Originally Posted by Pikku Myy View Post
    Jeremy Abbott didn't skate?
    Abbott was never advertised for the DSC show. Based on his recent tweets, he is out of town.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-10-2011 at 06:22 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Arianne View Post
    I am going to the DSC show this Saturday (1:00). Does anyone know if any special guest skaters will be there? The DSC page wasn't very clear. Sounds like the Thursday show was fab! Wish I could have made it to that one!
    According to the show program ~ Weaver/Poje will be the only guest skaters during the Saturday 1pm performance. There could always be surprises, but that's what is scheduled.

The Thursday show and after-show exhibition was amazing! I thought that Kozuka's number was fabulous ~ and there was some discussion among my group about the jump he did near the on-ice seating. Was it a quad salchow? Sure looked like it to me.

Update: Thanks to video, I can now see it was an amazing triple axel!
    Last edited by Sk8 Bug; 06-10-2011 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Video!

vCash
    The ice dancers minus Charlie and Meryl from DSC, came out and skated to Umbrella. This included Aldridge, Eaton, Arnold, Trojek, Hawayek, Weave, Poje, Brammante, Cowan, Olson, Donahue and Hubbell
    Sorry for the off-topic post, but this stood out for me. Does anyone know if this means that Sarah Arnold/Justin Trojek have left Paul MacIntosh/Rebecca Babb and are training in Detroit? Or are they just there for some supplemental training?

vCash
    This Youtube Channel has some vids http://www.youtube.com/user/unimagine818
    I'm going to twizzle into a triple axel and spiral out of it.

vCash
    Thank you for the reports mysticchic.

vCash
    Sorry about the spelling errors. All fixed now. Arnold, Trojek not sure about what they are doing there.. I can find out.
    No it was a 3 Axel. It was right in front of me!
    No Jeremy didn't skate and I didn't see him anywhere.
    Last edited by mysticchic; 06-10-2011 at 06:28 PM.

vCash
    Thanks for the review.
    Thanks everyone who supports Japan!

vCash
    Sounds great !

geoskate ..Camerlengo has done choreography for Arnold & Trojek in the past. maybe they were already there for choreo ?..or at least that could be the connection ? ( Also, W/P are Paul Mcintosh alumni..)

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Maia posted this pic on twitter - too cute
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    Maia posted this pic on twitter - too cute
    Has Alex grown recently? He looks absolutely massive next to Kozuka.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast