Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    vCash
    Yeah I heard the elderly couple went through....which was just silly. They're good all things considered, but really, give me a break. There were many other groups/dancers that were better than them.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I guess the auditions are done so that was merciful. I will give the semis a shot and see how the cream of the crop really looks.

I thought all 4 did well last night. The little girl does need to go back to basics, but she's got a lot of personality. Once they showed the top group, it looks like they were missing a solo female child so I guess that is why the judges picked her. I think they have another ballet couple, and they certainly have a number of groups.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Paul Abdul has the name, the money, the connections, the talent to put together a show where competition is between much higher level dancers, and perhaps turn it into a real audition for a real dance programme to be shown in major cities later on.

Andrey Lloyd Webber has a TV talent show in UK, where he auditions for several weeks (10-12) lead singers for his Theatre Musicals.

He did Grease (???), Oliver Twist, Sounds of Music, and I think he is now doing Wizzard of Oz... but not sure if the later is true.

First half is a competition for a female lead, and 2nd half is competition for a male lead. Often he uses runner-ups for secondary and supporting roles.

The show has a frame of competition/audition with audience votes but judges' final choice. It's creative, the selections of music and songs are wonderful, some times a choice, sometimes pre-selected.

The best part: the actors/singers are HIGHLY PROFESSIONAL with years of training and great voices. Hardly the perched on the toilet seat cover morning singers....

Paul Abdul could have had something similar with dancers, something more sophisticated.

I am sure that even an average US TV viewer is tired of shows with “mediocre talents” who are giving the audience soft sappy vibes and tear jerker moments.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinami Amori View Post
    Paul Abdul could have had something similar with dancers, something more sophisticated.

I am sure that even an average US TV viewer is tired of shows with “mediocre talents” who are giving the audience soft sappy vibes and tear jerker moments.
    As with many things in the US, it comes down to money. Reality shows with unknowns are CHEAP to produce. Reality shows with established talent are much more expensive. To get the type of talent most of us would prefer to see, the producers would have to pay more than scale. Then the problem of attracting them to this format.

If I was a working dancer, Live to Dance would probably be very low on my list. SYTYCD if I was very young, maybe, or the one season wonder Step It Up and Dance on Bravo if I really needed a job.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    As with many things in the US, it comes down to money. Reality shows with unknowns are CHEAP to produce. Reality shows with established talent are much more expensive.
    True, if the "talents" were established talents. Webber's show invites unknown singers, but very professional and well trained, not amateurs. These singers come in thousands just like for SYTYCD, just for the privilege to be on a TV show with Webber.

Abdul would not have to pay any fees to dancers of similar qualities, who went through training and dance academies, and need a break to be seen and discovered...... And then we, the audience, would get TOP GUALITY DANCERS, who are prima material and are just looking for a chance.

I don’t want to see old ladies tap dancing… or a 10-year old ball-room dancer with poor technique when there are 10-year olds at the Novice International competitions who can knock the socks off Andre and Natalie Paramanovs…

We all work hard, and at 8 pm, when we sit down to rest we should be shown the Best of the Best, not some “kid next door who is trying to dance” or some-one’s “grandmother in tutu”..

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    The ratings apparently fell 25% on night two. I guess a lot of people are having the same problem with the talent.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinami Amori View Post
    True, if the "talents" were established talents. Webber's show invites unknown singers, but very professional and well trained, not amateurs. These singers come in thousands just like for SYTYCD, just for the privilege to be on a TV show with Webber.

Abdul would not have to pay any fees to dancers of similar qualities, who went through training and dance academies, and need a break to be seen and discovered...... And then we, the audience, would get TOP GUALITY DANCERS, who are prima material and are just looking for a chance.
    I did ask my niece, who's a professional tap dancer and teacher, if she heard of the auditions. She said she did, but she, nor anyone else in her network, though it was worth throwing the dice and eating the expense of going to New York. For most, it would have meant giving up income from teaching for a 1/10,000 chance of getting on the show. FWIW, the folks in her network are mostly folks in the late 20s through 30s who have jobs, families, and other responsibilities.

I think the key difference between the Webber show and LTD is that Webber invites qualified folks. Again, going back to money, the producers would have to have a longer lead time for scouting and/or soliciting recommendations, and probably pay have to pay qualified experts to scout and screen potential contestants.

Cattle calls are cheap. The production assistants who do the initial screenings are minimum wage+ folks looking to add a real TV show to their resumes, not folks who have the proper credentials to evaluate the actual technical skill of the contestants. I think that's why we get "entertaining" over "skilled." They're instructed to look for "good TV" not the best dancers.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Any reviews of week two from the East Coast viewers?
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Oh-was that on tonight? I forgot.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    DVRs might not have worked. On the east coast, it was listed at 8 pm, but it was moved to 9 pm. I was watching the Terps game, and my DVR taped the Big Bang theory. Fortunately, I changed channels to see if it was taping so I switched my recording to 9 pm, which was listed as Criminal Minds. At 9 I checked it and it was Obama's Tuscon speech. I think it finally started around 9:30-9:45.

America picked the ballet duo White Tree Fine Art to get through to the semifinals.

Paula is coaching everyone.

There were a lot of talented kids who need to forget the tricks for a little bit and get back to technique. Austen Acevedo (sp) has a ton of natural talent but his routine was a mish mash of sloppy ballet, contemporary and bad krump/hip hop that didn't gel. He needs to drop the hip hop and get in ballet/contemporary class. The 2 young ballroom kids did a samba to Hip Hip Chin Chin -- they have tons of talent, but the music was too mature for them and they got a little sloppy. Can't see anyone but Yulia Z with that music. But I might vote for them if I felt inclined to vote. Another family of kids from Chicago did fairly blah hip hop - cute, but they have to include the little sister who really isn't up to it yet.

On the adult side, the seniors Bev and Hap were forgettable. A guy who calls himself Jittin Genius was good - he does "Detroit Jittin." Kinda hip hop meets jitterbug. Vibe is a very big group of dancers (more than 30) who did a big flashy contemporary/ballet/ballroom/hip hop/gymno routine with a lot of flair but it was really busy. One girls acted like a conductor who was conducting the dance. It was the most polished, but sometimes hard to see what they were doing because the stage was so full.

If the act gets at least 2 gold stars, it advances to the end where the judges pick one to go through. Then America gets to vote one through regardless of whether they got 2 gold stars.

Spoiler

vCash
    By accident I saw three acts tonight. I think this is absolutely the most wretched and misguided attempt at dance entertainment I've ever seen on television. I would have enjoyed and applauded any of these performances at the local dance school's Spring recital. But... to put this on tv with JUDGES fawning all over the dancers... ick!

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I really like this show.

I thought for SURE that the judges would put D'Angelo and Amanda through (the ballroom kids). The Vibe were my runner-ups, so hopefully America will put D'Angelo and Amanda through and my two faves will make it to the finals.

My third choice was Chi-Town Finest Breakers, but I agree with the panel that they are not America's best dancers. But they are so CUTE. The boy in front on the left seemed to have really sharp moves, perhaps the star of the group, totally outshining his little sis who I agree is NOT ready for primetime.

Jittin was good, but kind of one-note IMHO.

Austen is also good, but he's a potential diamond in the rough who really needs time to develop.

Bev and Hap are the inspirational story, but really have no right to be on this show. Not only are they not America's best dancers, they might not even be the best dancers in their old age home. (Sorry, kids!!!)

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    But no one on this show is even close to being America's Best Dancer. I don't think a single person on this show would make it on SYTYCD. I might even go so far as to say not even a single person on this show would make it to Vegas on SYTYCD.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I don't think a single person on this show would make it on SYTYCD. I might even go so far as to say not even a single person on this show would make it to Vegas on SYTYCD.
    The show is such a mish mash. Not one professional ballroom couple that auditioned made the semi finals. Don't think any of them even made the short list. At least none that were shown on TV. But two kids who show some ballroom potential are on the show.

Some of the acts are quite pleasant and nice to watch, but dance quality seems secondary on this show to sentimental appeal.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I thought for SURE that the judges would put D'Angelo and Amanda through (the ballroom kids).
    So did I.

vCash
    My TiVo missed it due to the last minute time change. My guess is ratings will be down yet again.

vCash
    Too many kids and not enough talent. I thought that the judges made the right decision with The Vibe and that the ballroom kids should clearly be the other team to go through this week.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I'm starting to think this might be a television entertainment program instead of a documentary about the Royal Dance Academy of America. Kind of a letdown, huh?

vCash
    My DVR recorded the wrong hour.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I'm starting to think this might be a television entertainment program instead of a documentary about the Royal Dance Academy of America. Kind of a letdown, huh?
    I'm starting to think you might be right!

Not really a letdown for me. I wasn't planning on watching it. But, I know that we all enjoy different things and I am now sort of embarrassed that I was so blatant about my dislike of it. I hadn't thought about how others might be enjoying it.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast