Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

vCash
    I may be in the minority, but I really enjoyed it. Paula's team seems to have learned a lot from AI, and it shows in the production. Having the judging BEFORE the chat is brilliant. While I might disagree on the acts they picked, it was clear that they were using dance and entertainment criteria and stayed true to the "everyone welcome" philosophy. I'm looking forward to the winnowing process to see if they keep on this track.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    OK, I didn't see enough of this show last night to judge it totally, but I want to know something.

I work in the dance world, have most of my life, and there are a lot of very good dancers out there in many, many genres. Where are they? Why can't we have one TV show that features really excellent dancing? There are many dancers and groups out there far superior to most of what I saw last night but yet not quite professional (though the tap dancer with the hat IS professional...)

SYTYCD gives us some good stuff, but even that show doesn't offer dance in as excellent a form as could be found. By the tour, it's pretty entertaining, but getting there isn't always watchable. We saw how good it could be when Alex came along....and he's not alone. There are many Alexes, some who are between companies or are just getting out there, but who are fabulous dancers. Here's hoping Anthony Burrell will be back this season...

I suppose it's all about pre-packaged "entertainment" which I don't always find so terribly entertaining. I know there's a lot of fantastic dance out there. I just want to watch it on TV and raise the standards of what people see as "what dance can be." As it stands now, it's bad competition studio mediocrity offered with "stories." I don't give a rip if some kid overcame some kind of obstacle to get there. If they can't dance, they can't dance. We already have this type of show out the yazoo. Why can't we have a show with really good dance in all its forms?

Thanks for letting me rant.

vCash
    I thought that brothers and sisters that had to live in their dad's car were not really that good. The youngest has the cute factor going on, but their routine was sloppy and not well choreographed...

A sad/compelling story to be sure, but not enough for three gold stars.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Holley, I don't think that the kind of dance show you - and others - hope for will make it to television.

Not enough "train wreaks" for the masses!

vCash
    I Tivo'd it & zapped thru a lot of it. The host was ok but cripes, aren't there any American production companies who want to hire American hosts for an American show? I'm really tired of every show must have a British accent. And what's with telling us a zillion times that the dancers must get at least 2 gold stars to go thru? Yes, we get it.

I agree about the age limit...I don't mind the kids so much but I don't find the old people charming or skilled. If they were any good they would have made their mark before age 80. And the kids who weren't quite there yet mostly got cut. I agreed with most of the judges' decisions.

I liked the judging before the chat too, and I liked that the judges critiqued in a way that let each person feel good about themselves & about the experience. Even when they were awful Paula or one of the others found something good to say about them. And I liked that all the judges had the credentials to be there.

The last couple - the 9 & 10 yr olds - I really liked them. Her positions in some of her moves & lifts were breathtaking. He was pretty good but I think she needs a better partner.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    OK, I didn't see enough of this show last night to judge it totally, but I want to know something.

I work in the dance world, have most of my life, and there are a lot of very good dancers out there in many, many genres. Where are they? Why can't we have one TV show that features really excellent dancing? There are many dancers and groups out there far superior to most of what I saw last night but yet not quite professional (though the tap dancer with the hat IS professional...)

Why can't we have a show with really good dance in all its forms?

Thanks for letting me rant.
    Well to be honest, they tried that - remember Superstars of Dance. It was a country vs country format with a solo, duet, and group act from each country. And there were a whole bunch of judges - one from each participating country I think. The format was annoying, and Michael Flately was the host. I think the format caused it to bomb. It was a Nigel production so there were a number of SYTYCD-affiliated people on it as dancers or coaches - Pasha/Anya, Robert Muriane, Nakul - the Bollywood choreographer and some of his dancers, the Tango dancers Miriam and Leonardo from Argentina, Henry Byalikov and Giselle Peacock of Australia, etc. Maria Kochetkova of SF Ballet won the solo gold medal competing for Russia. I forget who won the duet and groups, but US won the country title.

ITA with your other post that the girl with the partner who wanted a relationship had awful training. A shame because she has some natural facility, but she had lousy technique.

Apart from a couple of tappers and a 1 second shot of a couple with the woman on pointe (she looked like she had great line, but they didn't show enough - they did get through though), I thought this was a total dud. Dance at its lowest common denominator.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

...an acquired taste
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    aren't there any American production companies who want to hire American hosts for an American show?
    There's no one left. Ryan Seacrest took everything.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Well to be honest, they tried that - remember Superstars of Dance.
    Aw gee...no! I'm not a TV person. I totally missed this. Flatley would have been a turn off, but the rest of it sounds like I might have really liked it. Darn.

Yeah-regarding the girl in the duo you cited. I have seen this so many times and I'm sure you have too. Girls in their young to mid teens who've been dancing in Miss Sally's School of Dance since age 3 come to a better school and take one class and.......it's tragic. Of course, I don't think this poor girl has a clue she doesn't have the goods. I've seen one 16 year old who had abysmal training suddenly get good training and take off...and become a real, fabulous dancer. But it took a lot of work and admitting she had to start all over. But, it's possible if you have natural turnout, beautiful natural line, and incredible natural extension. Still....it's possible. This girl looked like she'd be a better cheerleader or gymnast. Both worthy activities....just not dancers.
    Last edited by Holley Calmes; 01-05-2011 at 10:30 PM.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I recorded it and watched it this morning. I LOVED it! SO much talent, great judges and lots of moving stories. Boy, did I use up a lot of Kleenex!

I hope you guys were being honest. If that's the case, you hated it so much that you will NOT watch one more episode and us fans won't have to listen to any more of your pessimistic whining!
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I stopped more than half way through. Switched to Biggest Loser, no better. Ugh.

vCash
    Thanks Rob. I don't know how I missed that....it wasn't that long ago. But like I said, I don't do a lot of TV.

I did enjoy the clips so much. Loved that last one-the finale duet! Wow! Loved the monks too, although they were more martial arts and gymnastics than dance, it was still well done.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I recorded it and watched it this morning. I LOVED it! SO much talent, great judges and lots of moving stories. Boy, did I use up a lot of Kleenex!

I hope you guys were being honest. If that's the case, you hated it so much that you will NOT watch one more episode and us fans won't have to listen to any more of your pessimistic whining!
    I might pick it up again after the auditions are over. In general, I don't want moving stories--it feels disingenuous. Like, OMG, you're homeless or you lost a foot or you had to stand in the same room as Morozov, it should totally make up for your lack of talent. I find there's an inverse relationship between moving story and ability. Let me see you dance first--if you're good, then I'll oooo and awww over your background and be more impressed at all you've overcome to get that good. But at least on the surface, this is supposed to be a TALENT show, not Sad, Sad Story Show.

As for the judging, I don't think it's helpful if every other dancer is called "a ray of sunshine" or a "breath of fresh air". That's not helpful. Neither is "you just didn't have a good night" which seemed to be the worst of what they said, since clearly, a few of them had more problems than a bad night.

I really think there can be a middle ground between Paula's Happy-Happy-Joy-Joy, which comes off as (to borrow from Trankov) like pink snot after a while and insincere and overly-harsh meanness made for the sake of sounding "clever." I really wish they'd look at Top Chef for judging (Colicchio and Gail at least). They have a good balance between praise and constructive criticism.

I'm hoping that from however many cities they go to, they'll find enough good acts to have a show. Ones that don't involve precocious kiddies.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    I'm already annoyed. 3 of the 4 acts in the "dance off" for the last 2 spots are better, in my opinion, that many of the groups they picked to go straight through to the semi-finals.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    I might pick it up again after the auditions are over. In general, I don't want moving stories--it feels disingenuous. Like, OMG, you're homeless or you lost a foot or you had to stand in the same room as Morozov, it should totally make up for your lack of talent.
    I generally don't like it when they bring up backstories. But, I do think there were two things different about how the show did it last night. First, for the most part, they didn't let people through based on backstory. Second, I think many of the back stories actually related to dance. That deaf woman was talking about what dancing had meant for her. Also, the old woman who just loved dancing and had come back to it after so many years. However, if they start in with the backstories of the ones who make it after the real competition starts and the public starts to vote, then I'll be ticked off.

Personally, I love to see people who love what they do, especially performers, so I'm fine with them focusing on that a lot. And I really did think they doled out the criticism for most of the contestants, even with some of the kids.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    My boyfriend and I changed the channel when we saw who was having to do the dance off and who made it straight into the semifinals. All 3 of the remaining groups who are trying for 1 spot are better than at least 2, if not more, of the acts in the semifinals. I know these shows are less and less about talent but this is something I can't look past. We wont be watching any more.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I voted for the ballet couple. But, I liked everyone except for the first group who performed.

vCash
    I'm fine with the groups that performed tonight not making it, but it's just silly that the elderly couple went through. I guess they just wanted to make sure they have at least one interesting story per semi-final group.

I think tonight's dance-off was just filler. They must have needed one more episode.

vCash
    Upon further review, I'm not impressed with the judges choices for the Top 18. I was a bit "wtf" when they put the zombie kiddos through. Even if they were the best technicians in the world, there's no way in hell they can churn out routines as a "dance act."
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    I understand that very much like America's Got Talent, this show feels compelled to fill in every "genre/number of performers in act/age group" slot possible when they start getting to the voting elimination rounds ..but the compromise in actual quality is even more glaring in this show...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast