Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Interview with Nobuo Sato about Mao and Kozuka after Japanese Nationals 2010

I just found this interview on GS forum and thought it very interesting. I post it here in case you haven't read it yet.

http://kuuchuu-sampo.blogspot.com/20...view-with.html

Banned Member
    vCash
    Thanks! Interesting how her coach thought that her 3A in SP was originally a "bad tactic."

vCash
    Thanks for the link!

vCash
    Thanks for sharing! Very interesting interview!

Let It Snow
    vCash
    Thanks a lot for the link.

A. If she skates with power, she'll generate more speed. And that will affect many things that are essential to jumps. And so, if we approach this with courage, how far can we go? I think it will take one year, two years. In the end, we can only take things one step at a time. But I still want to try.
    It must be nice to have a wise old person next to you that's got enough energy and confidence to start a journey with you.
    I hope Asada can see a happy ending.

vCash
    Mao's programs at nats surprised him? Surely no more than me I was almost sure she would skate better programs than at NHK, but her FS at nats was...

Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    Interesting how her coach thought that her 3A in SP was originally a "bad tactic."
    I don't understand him. This rule (possibility od doing 3A instead of 2A in SP ) gives her an opportunity to gain huge lead over other skaters, so why does he think it's a bad tactic? I know it's risky, but Mao usually doesn't have problems with landing, only with underrotation. One year ago doing 3A instead of 2A in SP wouldn't have been viable for her (well.. it wasn't evn possible), but now we have different rules and even UR 3A is better than 2A.

vCash
    Lol at the remark that Kozuka is "a little scatterbrained"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extranjera View Post
    I don't understand him. This rule (possibility od doing 3A instead of 2A in SP ) gives her an opportunity to gain huge lead over other skaters, so why does he think it's a bad tactic? I know it's risky, but Mao usually doesn't have problems with landing, only with underrotation. One year ago doing 3A instead of 2A in SP wouldn't have been viable for her (well.. it wasn't evn possible), but now we have different rules and even UR 3A is better than 2A.
    It's always a big risk regardless. Sato is very old school, so he can be more conservative in his tactics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extranjera View Post
    Think her TEB performances in the last 2 years more or less answer that question.....

vCash
    Thank you very much for the link!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TAHbKA View Post
    Think her TEB performances in the last 2 years more or less answer that question.....
    Not exactly. When she's out of shape (like at TEB in the last 2 years) she makes mistakes in many elements, not only in 3A (and not only in jumps). For example her FS from TEB 2009 had clean 3A-2t and 3A< with two-foot landing, but the most serious mistake was completely unexpected fall after 2A (!)

On the other hand when she was in her top shape (She gained shape before nationals) all her 3A were clean or UR.

And doing 3A-2T in SP was much riskier than doing solo 3A.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Thank you, galaxy!

to Mr. Sato. I <3 him.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    to Mr. Sato. I <3 him.
    Word. He seems to thoughtful and humble and kind.

If I was a skater, I'd love to have him as a coach.

vCash
    What a wonderful interview, thank you so much for posting.
    There are coach/ students relationships which feel so right- ( and of course I realize it's different from the inside and could change at any moment). But Sato/ Kozuka/ Asada and Y.Sato/ Dunjean/Abbott/Czisny partnerships seem to have such wisdom and quality about them. I have great respect for the Sato family, and for Mao for being such a very strong person.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    I suspect that when coach Sato said that the 3A was a bad tactic for Mao, he was alluding to the emotional strain it put on her. She has always had more problems with her SP, and the 3A is a lot of additional pressure to face day after day as she practices, after she goes to bed at night, as she enters the ice to compete.

In a similar vein, I've seen Miki Ando crank out quad after quad in practice, but she doesn't try them in competition. Morozov is not pushing her to do them.

Sato knows, and Morozov is learning, that there is such a thing as "too much." Too much grinds the skater down, until there is nothing left for the competition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    What a wonderful interview, thank you so much for posting.
    There are coach/ students relationships which feel so right- ( and of course I realize it's different from the inside and could change at any moment). But Sato/ Kozuka/ Asada and Y.Sato/ Dunjean/Abbott/Czisny partnerships seem to have such wisdom and quality about them. I have great respect for the Sato family, and for Mao for being such a very strong person.
    Same here.

vCash
    Thank you for such an interesting interview. Looking forward to further improvement from Mao.

vCash
    Here's a very short clip of Mao and Koz skating together like a pair. Sweet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQXn0...layer_embedded

The full version of documentary about Mao's struggling and pulling through at the Nationals. A lot of interviews with Mao, Mr. Sato, Shizuka and Koz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DTcIZBV8S0

Mao says that relearning of jumps is the most difficult thing ever in her entire skating life.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxy View Post
    Here's a very short clip of Mao and Koz skating together like a pair. Sweet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQXn0...layer_embedded

The full version of documentary about Mao's struggling and pulling through at the Nationals. A lot of interviews with Mao, Mr. Sato, Shizuka and Koz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DTcIZBV8S0

Mao says that relearning of jumps is the most difficult thing ever in her entire skating life.
    I couldn't watch the first clip ( it said private... ), but you can see a bit of the Mao-Kozuka pair skating at around 6:50 in the second link. It's soo cute!! Thank you.

Watching the whole documentary reminded me of the interview I once read where Kozuka said something along the lines that praciticing with Mao has been a real inspiration for him; watching Mao getting up and tries the jumps over and over again, no matter how many times she falls, gave him power and motivation. Watching the clip, it seems like Mao feels the same.

And about relearnig of jumps...
    I've always thought that Mao's problem was more of a mental thing, since it seemed like her jumps have improved so much in practices... I know practice and competition are two different things, but still, Mao looked TOO concentrated and thinking TOO much before the jumps. I was kinda frustrated and felt like "Oh Mao, why can't you just go for it, without thinking too much!?" But it wasn't that simple, of course. In the documentary she said something like, "It doesn't work well when I think too much, but if I don't think anything at all, my old habits come back."

I really admire Mao's courage that she decided to relearn most of her jumps and am happy that her efforts seem to start paying off.

vCash
    Because I'm no teknik...can you guys tell me in what ways has Mao reworked her jumps? to the naked (and non-profi) eye they look the same as before. She does seem to have more flow in the rest of her skating, though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast