Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Thousands of Birds and Fish dead in Arkansas

The first weird and creepy story of the year..... The birds actually made me think of Flash Forward.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_803358.html

vCash
    This is so strange. Poor birds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carmen Ovsiannikov View Post
    The birds actually made me think of Flash Forward.[/url]
    That was the first thing I thought
    Never mess with a geocacher. We know the best places to hide a body....

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/01/03/ark...ex.html?hpt=T2

It appears the birds died of trauma. I am guessing a hail storm is to blame as that would also have killed any fish that were close to the surface. It also reminded me of Flash Forward.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Very weird.

I'm still ticked about the crappy Flash Forward ending.

vCash
    Why didn't anyone on the ground get hurt from hail?
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie View Post
    Very weird.

I'm still ticked about the crappy Flash Forward ending.
    WORD!!!!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    Why didn't anyone on the ground get hurt from hail?
    They were protected from the birds.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    That was a severe weather day for Arkansas with 3 deaths in the state from a long track tornado before dawn,then most of the state was under a Tornado watch for the entire day-night.And where there are tornado risks there is usually hail.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrushka View Post
    That was a severe weather day for Arkansas with 3 deaths in the state from a long track tornado before dawn,then most of the state was under a Tornado watch for the entire day-night.And where there are tornado risks there is usually hail.
    I was watching some of the next day coverage and kept laughing when the onsite reporter kept referring to Cincinnati, OH and the studio anchor kept trying to correct her that she was in Cincinnati, AR where the tornado did quite a lot of damage.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    I looked at a map, and the two occurrences were about 50 miles apart it looked like. I was wondering if the birds ate the fish and died. Who knows. Very strange.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    In my newspaper today, on page 2 is a big story about how the world is gonna end on May 21 this year .... and on page 3 is a big story about thousands of birds droppin' dead from the sky and thousands of fishies floatin' dead in the river. Coincidence? he he.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I was watching some of the next day coverage and kept laughing when the onsite reporter kept referring to Cincinnati, OH and the studio anchor kept trying to correct her that she was in Cincinnati, AR where the tornado did quite a lot of damage.
    Yes,I found that quite amusing as well.I think alot of news reports sounded pretty confused the next day lol At one point on the Weather Channel they zoomed in on Ohio and I turned to someone and said "Wasn't that tornado in Arkansas?" and then they went back down to Arkansas.lol

I personally blame the strange deaths on the weather,it could've been lightening or hail that night.I was in Memphis and it was lightening like crazy and the wind was pretty bad.One zap of lightening could've killed all those birds at once,same with the fish. I don't buy into the end of days stuff.

vCash
    The news today said the birds had severe hemorrages and internal trauma and also that there were fireworks being lit. If a severe downdraft can take an airliner out of the sky, it could cause this kind of damage in a flock of birds. No theory on the fish...
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    The news today said the birds had severe hemorrages and internal trauma and also that there were fireworks being lit. If a severe downdraft can take an airliner out of the sky, it could cause this kind of damage in a flock of birds. No theory on the fish...
    I read it was only one specie of fish, so it seems unlikely to be hail or fireworks in the lake, then different fishes from different species would be dead. It is strange and disturbing.

vCash
    This is getting weird...500 more birds in Louisiana

"Four days after an estimated 4,000 to 5,000 red-winged blackbirds fell from the sky in Beebe, Ark., about 500 more dead birds were found lying lifeless on a quarter-mile-long stretch of highway in Pointe Coupee Parish in Louisiana.

The birds, red-winged blackbirds and starlings, were discovered on Monday, Baton Rouge's The Advocate reported. Biologists will send some of the birds to labs in Georgia and Wisconsin to conduct necropsies and tests to determine the cause of death."

vCash
    Now,it's weird.There hasn't been any severe weather down that way.hmmm

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    In my newspaper today, on page 2 is a big story about how the world is gonna end on May 21 this year .... and on page 3 is a big story about thousands of birds droppin' dead from the sky and thousands of fishies floatin' dead in the river. Coincidence? he he.
    I thought the end of the world was scheduled for 2012. I hope I get to go to Nationals first.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I live in Arkansas near the stretch of river where the fish died. The fish were mostly drum, and I don't think they've determined what killed them. Our statewide newspaper today reported that they think perhaps the birds had been roosting and were frightened by loud noises during the night, maybe New Year's Eve fireworks, and flew very low, crashing into things in the dark. Several loud booms were reported shortly before the birds started falling. Apparently not all the birds that fell died; one man reported that many that landed in his yard were able to fly away later on. The dead ones had trauma consistent with flying into objects. I'll look for a link to the article.

ETA: That particular complete story isn't available without registering, but there are lots of others on most of the news sites.
    Last edited by Grannyfan; 01-04-2011 at 08:58 PM.

vCash
    And what about the birds that dropped dead on the highway in Louisiana?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast