Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    When Mahbanoozadeh graduated from high school in 2009, he intended to combine skating with attending Dartmouth, a prestigious Ivy League institution. He deferred his admission a year and then gave up his spot after deciding it would be impossible to sustain an elite competitive level while going to such a demanding university.

He does have good taste though.

Quadless
    vCash
    I am 100% in favor of skaters pursuing an education and having interests outside of the sport, but I'm glad to learn that Mahbanoozadeh is putting school on hold to focus on skating for the moment. He should have no problem obtaining admission to any number of choice universities a few years from now, but his opportunity to try to fully realize his substantial skating talent is really now or never.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    I am 100% in favor of skaters pursuing an education and having interests outside of the sport, but I'm glad to learn that Mahbanoozadeh is putting school on hold to focus on skating for the moment. He should have no problem obtaining admission to any number of choice universities a few years from now, but his opportunity to try to fully realize his substantial skating talent is really now or never.
    I get the impression that Armin is exceptionally smart, and perhaps for someone like him self-study will be enough for now. Being an elite athlete is an education in itself, and it would be a shame for him to not reach his potential as a skater. If he were a mediocre skater for his age I'd say go to school now... but he's not, so yay!

And yeah, when he does decide to go to uni he shouldn't have application/admission issues.

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ninadel View Post
    If he were a mediocre skater for his age I'd say go to school now... but he's not, so yay!
    That's really it. He has the potential to be brilliant, so why not give it a shot.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Too bad he's heading off to college next year. I'm not sure he'll continue skating after this season, which is sad cuz he has so much talent.

vCash
    I get the impression that Armin is exceptionally smart, and perhaps for someone like him self-study will be enough for now. Being an elite athlete is an education in itself, and it would be a shame for him to not reach his potential as a skater. If he were a mediocre skater for his age I'd say go to school now... but he's not, so yay!

And yeah, when he does decide to go to uni he shouldn't have application/admission issues.
    He's taking a gap year this year and has deferred a year from Dartmouth College. So next year he'll be off to Dartmouth.

vCash
    No, last year (2009-10 season) was Armin's gap year -- the article says that he gave up his spot at Dartmouth in 2010. My impression is that he's taking his skating year by year and will decide about next season after this season is over.

vCash
    well, hasnt the axel always been considered the most difficult jump? then why the discussion on this jump vs the backward takeoff jumps?

vCash
    Oh whoops, I didn't see the article you posted, Sylvia.

vCash
    The axel has generally been considered the most difficult jump because of the extra half revolution, but really, comfort and difficulty vary a lot by the takeoff. It's not just forward vs. backward takeoff, but also edge vs. toe, etc. So Lambiel, who is a good example, could never nail down the 3x but was more reliable on the 4t, and yet said once that the 3s was not his best jump, either. There's a lot of idiosyncrasy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    No, last year (2009-10 season) was Armin's gap year -- the article says that he gave up his spot at Dartmouth in 2010. My impression is that he's taking his skating year by year and will decide about next season after this season is over.
    Thank you for the information, Sylvia, as always. You are amazing.
    A part of me is thrilled that Armin is dedicating himself to skating. That young man has true talent. And a part of me is worried- I know firsthand of some very bright people who refused admission to Ive Leagues to pursue something else and then were not able to get admitted to the same level of educational institutions. I hope that would not be the case with Armin. I hope he skates very successfully and then can pursue a bright academic future- if that remains his wish.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    Thank you for the information, Sylvia, as always. You are amazing.
    A part of me is thrilled that Armin is dedicating himself to skating. That young man has true talent. And a part of me is worried- I know firsthand of some very bright people who refused admission to Ive Leagues to pursue something else and then were not able to get admitted to the same level of educational institutions. I hope that would not be the case with Armin. I hope he skates very successfully and then can pursue a bright academic future- if that remains his wish.
    Really? From my experience I would think commitment to outside pursuits holds a lot of weight... shows you're not a cookie cutter applicant. And his high school marks will remain the same. Sounds like these Ivy Leagues you're referring to are suffering from bruised ego. Going to a "non Ivy League" school isn't the end of the world anyway... look at MK.

vCash
    Really? From my experience I would think commitment to outside pursuits holds a lot of weight... shows you're not a cookie cutter applicant. And his high school marks will remain the same. Sounds like these Ivy Leagues you're referring to are suffering from bruised ego. Going to a "non Ivy League" school isn't the end of the world anyway... look at MK.
    That would be my thinking, as well... but a relative of mine deferred a top school after being admitted because she got a Fullbright (!) to work abroad, and her application the following year was denied. Nothing changed in her grades, and her life experience was enriched. Granted, it was a creative writing program, so maybe they are more unpredictable than most.
    Anyway, best wishes to Armin!
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Universal Sports' video interview via Skype: All About Two Solid Skates for Mahbanoozadeh

This gallery includes two young Armin photos: http://www.universalsports.com/photo...id=510719.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12