Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Armin Mahbanoozadeh proves hes latest U.S. sensation

From Brandon Penny, Figure Skaters Online
    Armin Mahbanoozadeh proves he’s latest U.S. sensation
    http://figureskatersonline.com/news/...u-s-sensation/

vCash
    Medaling in Greensboro will be tough for Mahbanoozadeh, since he is one of four American men who medaled on the Grand Prix circuit this season.
    Well, there are 4 medals at US Nationals...

I was thinking that the opening 3T in his FS would evolve into a 4T attempt by Nationals and it looks like that will happen!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Well, there are 4 medals at US Nationals...

I was thinking that the opening 3T in his FS would evolve into a 4T attempt by Nationals and it looks like that will happen!
    Oooh. I really hope so. I'd like to see more attempts at Quads by US Men.

But, isn't he barely getting the 3x? Granted, he's gained some consistency on it but the Quad might be a bridge too far....

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Lurves me some Armin. Would love to see him land the quad toe.

Quote Originally Posted by olympic
    But, isn't he barely getting the 3x? Granted, he's gained some consistency on it but the Quad might be a bridge too far....
    I think there are several skaters who are more consistent on the toe jumps (even a quad) than the 3A: Stephane Lambiel, Ryan Bradley, and Jeremy Abbott among them.

I am just wondering if Armin will continue skating after next year. I believe he's planning on attending university full time beginning next fall. (MIT?)
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Tell that to Lambiel . Some skaters never get as comfortable with a forward axel take-off as they do with regular jumps. One of the skaters at my rink still struggles with a 2 axel, but one she started landing 3 salchows, they've been easy and consistent. It's not just about the extra 1/2 revolution...sometimes how comfortable you are with the take off can make all the difference in the world. And Armin seems to like toe jumps.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    ...I believe he's planning on attending university full time beginning next fall. (MIT?)
    I believe he was accepted by Dartmouth.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    Tell that to Lambiel . Some skaters never get as comfortable with a forward axel take-off as they do with regular jumps. One of the skaters at my rink still struggles with a 2 axel, but one she started landing 3 salchows, they've been easy and consistent. It's not just about the extra 1/2 revolution...sometimes how comfortable you are with the take off can make all the difference in the world. And Armin seems to like toe jumps.
    Well I mean look at Team Orser, Rippon can do a 3lz with both arms over his head but struggles with the 3a and Gao can reel off 3f-3t like it's easy but has yucky technique on the 2a.

vCash
    Lurves me some Armin. Would love to see him land the quad toe.

I think there are several skaters who are more consistent on the toe jumps (even a quad) than the 3A: Stephane Lambiel, Ryan Bradley, and Jeremy Abbott among them.

I am just wondering if Armin will continue skating after next year. I believe he's planning on attending university full time beginning next fall. (MIT?)
    Wasn't it Curran Oi who went to MIT?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Wasn't it Curran Oi who went to MIT?
    Yup. Armin is going to Dartmouth, or has been accepted there and deferred admission. I don't know if he's planning on starting next season.

vCash
    Armin was accepted into Dartmouth 2 years ago and so I believe he would have to reapply if he still wants to go there.

Curran Oi competed at the Collegiate Championships representing MIT this summer and finished 2nd to Grant Hochstein.

ETA: Armin M. and Ashley Wagner are two of the Skating Club of Wilmington (Delaware) skaters performing in their club's Nationals Send-Off Show this Saturday (Jan. 8) -- see this thread for more info: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=76761
    Last edited by Sylvia; 01-03-2011 at 11:49 PM.

vCash
    Armin was accepted into Dartmouth 2 years ago and so I believe he would have to reapply if he still wants to go there....
    Dartmouth isn't cheap. Tuition, room and board there were well over $50,000 a year the last time I checked.

vCash
    Lurves me some Armin.
    )

Hope he does really well at Nationals! We've enjoyed watching him skate since we first saw him at Mike Weiss' foundation show in 2005 (he had braces on his teeth back then).

vCash
    ETA: Armin M. and Ashley Wagner are two of the Skating Club of Wilmington (Delaware) skaters performing in their club's Nationals Send-Off Show this Saturday (Jan. 8) -- see this thread for more info: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=76761
    I think Ashley performed one of her programs at a send-off last year, correct? It will be interesting to see if they perform and if so, perhaps we will see a youtube video or something....

Back to Armin - he may defer for a while. He is really 'gelling' as a skater and shows quite a bit of promise, so he may want to go all the way to Sochi. His score at SA was nearly 212 pts.

vCash
    Re: title of the article

One very strong competition doesn't prove that yet.

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    I want Armin, Jeremy and Adam on the Nats podium in any order.

With Dornbush taking the pewter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AliasJohnDoe View Post

1. Cassar
    2. Dornbush
    3. Abbott

vCash
    I was also wondering about Armin's studies, because I remember he was on the fence last year re: full- time studying vs. skating. Selfishly, I'd love to see him skate competitively much longer. Does anybody know- is he taking it year by year, have any looming deadlines, or decided to pursue skating and then reapply?
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AliasJohnDoe View Post

I like this podium in any order. I'm also hoping for Ryan Bradley, Jonathan Cassar, Ross Miner, Keegan Messing, Stephen Carriere, & Sean Rabbitt to do well. There are so many US men that I enjoy (I could go on & on, but I'll stop here)!
    Last edited by paskatefan; 01-05-2011 at 11:33 AM.

vCash
    Carriere isn't going to be at nationals.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

vCash
    I'm cross-posting this Viriginia article link in the Skater Articles thread in the US Nationals forum in Kiss and Cry since it's a general preview article, but here's a relevant excerpt about Mahbanoozadeh:
    "I was thrilled to medal at Skate America," said Mahbanoozadeh, who changed coaches a little over a year ago and now trains with Priscilla Hill in Delaware. "I've been working hard and I've stayed healthy, which is very important. I think I'm improving both technically and artistically. I'm looking forward to Nationals. I would love to be on the podium."

When Mahbanoozadeh graduated from high school in 2009, he intended to combine skating with attending Dartmouth, a prestigious Ivy League institution. He deferred his admission a year and then gave up his spot after deciding it would be impossible to sustain an elite competitive level while going to such a demanding university. Instead, he's been studying on his own as well as keeping up his piano skills.

"For my birthday in August, I got an electric piano that I brought to Delaware that I practice on almost every day," he said. "I posted some videos on YouTube of me playing the piano that have been surprisingly popular."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast