Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Clueless American
    vCash
    I've been enjoying the specials. I hope they'll show even more in the future.

On a side note...Universal Sports' main poll on its front page right now is about which World Championships are you looking forward to watching this year. A couple days ago when I voted for figure skating it was winning with 50% of the vote. Now it's losing to track and field who currently has 45% and figure skating is down to 17%.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Interesting that the Nagano skating one pretty much glossed over Kwan/Lipinski and really focused on Lu Chen.

Also, I was curious about Kirsten Holum, the speedskating prodigy . . . after quitting skating to get her art degree, she ended up becoming a franciscan nun!
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Interesting that the Nagano skating one pretty much glossed over Kwan/Lipinski and really focused on Lu Chen.

Also, I was curious about Kirsten Holum, the speedskating prodigy . . . after quitting skating to get her art degree, she ended up becoming a franciscan nun!
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love skating View Post

On a side note...Universal Sports' main poll on its front page right now is about which World Championships are you looking forward to watching this year. A couple days ago when I voted for figure skating it was winning with 50% of the vote. Now it's losing to track and field who currently has 45% and figure skating is down to 17%.
    Thanks for posting about the poll. Skating is now at 18% behind track & field with 44%.

vCash
    Thanks for clearing up my title. These are great. They have repeated them in the afternoons the following day. It's weird I forgot a lot of the stories over the years and it's all coming back to me. If I recall the 2002 one will deal with Kwan. I wish they had added G&G to 88 and 84.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tlk View Post
    Thanks for posting about the poll. Skating is now at 18% behind track & field with 44%.
    I just voted for figure skating. Let's all boost fs in this poll!

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    I didn't watch much of the Sydney one tonight (did they do anything for the gymnastics mess from that year?) but I'm definitely watching the SLC one tomorrow night. I am extremely happy that the Shea family story is being told on that one. They're previewing it right now and I'm all ready getting teary.
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love skating View Post

You should start a thread for the poll. People would be more likely to see your message.

vCash
    Too late. The poll (which world championship do you plan to watch) is closed. Results:

Track and Field 37%
    Alpine Skiing 20%
    Figure Skating 20%
    Gymnastics 15%
    Swimming 5% (I think)

Oh well, I got one vote in.

vCash
    I saw eight of the nine Bud Greenspan docs that Universal Sports showed this past week. I have to say, however, that I'm somewhat underwhelmed. Not at the documentaries themselves, but who Bud Greenspan chose to do his features on. Having watched the Olympics religiously since 1992, there have been so many stories that could have easily been part of the documentaries. Some features were not that interesting, IMHO. I wonder how Bud and his team chose who to focus on. Perhaps there were some that they wanted to get, but couldn't for some reasons. Of all the stories Bud Greenspan told, I like the stories of the athletes who weren't necessarily favorites or eventual medal winners or came from powerhouse countries (in their respective sports) the best.

When I heard that the 2008 documentary focused exclusively on American athletes in Beijing, I was actually kind of aghast. I felt that there were stories from the international set that deserved some of Bud's magic:

* Matthew Mitcham, the diver who prevented a Chinese sweep of the diving golds on the penultimate day of the Games; a former junior prodigy who burned out two years before the Olympics, and soon came out of the closet and rediscovered his talent for diving

* Rebecca Adlington, who came out of nowhere to become the first British woman to win Olympic swimming gold (2 times in Beijing), and who demolished Janet Evans' 800m freestyle world record

* the men's handball team from Iceland, who against all odds, won the silver medal even though they were not one of the favorites

* Nino Salukvadze of Georgia and Natal'ya Paderina of Russia, who won silver and bronze in a shooting event and embraced warmly, despite their respective countries being at war at the same time

* Abhinav Bindra, who became India's first individual Olympic champion EVER

I don't know if Bud deliberately chose to focus on American athletes in Beijing, or if that's ultimately what he ended up with. I just hope that when the Vancouver 2010 documentary comes around, there's a more balanced array of stories.

I'm probably a little irrational in this regard.

Clueless American
    vCash
    I noticed on the Universal Sports site that they are going to show some more Olympic specials. I'm not sure what they are, but they are called "Olympics: Reliving the Glory". Thursday lists L.A. ' 84 and Calgary '88, Friday lists Seoul '88, and Sunday lists Barcelona '92. Their schedule ends there so I don't know if there are more shows. And I can't find any news about the shows on their site.

vCash
    Universal sports is re-playing the entire series for the rest of the month of January:
    http://www.universalsports.com/news/...ngbudgreenspan

Figure skating segments are in the following Official Films:
    Calgary 1988: Battle of the Brians & the Women's Competiton
    Lillehammer 1994: Oksana Baiul
    Nagano 1998: Lu Chen
    Torino 2006: Shizuka Arakawa

vCash
    Watching the Calgary special, and the 'battle of the brians', it is so heartwarming to see Brian's mom and all of the skaters so young, and Brian witha mullet

Oh G-d there is Christopher Bowman, he is just a kid, it is so sad.

My Gaudy look at the costumes.

Yet, there is no mention of the Jamacian bobsled team.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    Universal sports is re-playing the entire series for the rest of the month of January:
    http://www.universalsports.com/news/...ngbudgreenspan
    Excellent, thanks for the heads-up!

The first time around they didn't show Seoul or Barcelona, in all their late80s/early90s neon retro glory!!!

Mmmmmm, Trent Dimas......

vCash
    They did a film on the Beijing Olympics but it wasn't the Official film of those game, a Chinese group had the rights and made the film.
    Bud was allowed to do an "American" version on the Beijing Olympics, that is why there are only American athletes are featured.

Bud and his company did the Official film of the Vancouver Olympics and that will air on ShowTime in the near future.

vCash
    Is there an Albertville games documentary? I am watching the Barcelona games right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SwingDancer View Post
    Is there an Albertville games documentary? I am watching the Barcelona games right now.
    No, Albertville is the only Olympics since Los Angeles for which Bud did not make a film. The Albertville organizers did not ask him to do one!

vCash
    Thanks for the info, Bernard. I wonder why the Albertville organizers didn't ask Bud to do a documentary on those Games.

vCash
    Does anyone know when this will repeat, this is my first night.

vCash
    Lacey -Universal Sports will be airing most of Bud's Official films till the end of January.
    Here is the schedule: http://www.universalsports.com/news/...ngbudgreenspan

Alex - There is an Official film of the Albertville Olympics, but it was produced by another production company and done in a very different.

Companies like Bud's bid on the rights to make an Official Olympic film. It's a rare case where the Host Organizing Committee asks a company to make the film.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast