Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

vCash
    Always make sure you sit NEXT to Spinner at a competition, not behind him. Otherwise, you won't see anything.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    Must be the same person who was sitting behind me at 2003 Worlds in Washington. When Petrova and Tikhonov won the bronze medal, said person hollered out to the entire arena "Well, I guess their check cleared the judges' bank accounts".

When some poor Eastern European pair team went splat, same said person hollered out to the entire arena "You've just insulted all your Baltic ancestors".

I could go on; there was more, but you get the idea. I finally stood up, turned around and told this woman off in no uncertain terms. I got a lot of thumbs up from those sitting nearby.
    I was sitting to the right of you at 2003 Worlds because I remember that going down.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by newbatgirl View Post
    There was a lady at Skate America who could not stand Rachael Flatt and would not stop bashing her, loud enough for everyone in our section to here. It was so distracting!
    Holy crap. I hope that wasn't me. (Seatmates at SA, was that me? Was I that loud? Ut-oh....)

And yes, I meant the Boys Who Score. Blech.

ETA to say that the only SA I've been to in the last three years was Lake Placid, where I was notorious for not standing for Rachael's ovation but I don't think I dissed her that loudly.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by neptune View Post
    What competition was this, and which member of the family poured the soda? What did you do?
    Cleaveland 2000. One that Timmy G competed and Cleaveland was supposedly rigged because Timmy was the hometown boy. Where a friend and I somehow ended up in the Michael Weiss' family section where they were handing out Michael #1 foam fingers which we politely declined. We had all event tickets and had been there all week, including attending the novice, junior and all senior events. Since we declined, it got really ugly. since ABC was going to show the Michael Weiss support section where everyone was a fan.

I assume if you want more detail, you might be a family member or a close friend?

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Two guys who sitting a couple of rows behind me at Australian Nationals in Melbourne, were (rather loudly) critiquing the junior and senior men's sex lives during the short program. These men I hate to say, were well known coaches.

Years ago when I went to my first U.S. nationals in Orlando, the woman sitting next to me kept saying what club the skater was from and who their coach was. She would constantly chatter during the skaters programs, pointing out what she thought they could do better or improve, and if I didn't acknowledge her, she would say it again or prod me. I ended up going to will call and changing my ticket.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Always make sure you sit NEXT to Spinner at a competition, not behind him. Otherwise, you won't see anything.
    Wasn't that a negative rep description a while back? It's definitely not a good place to be.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Taso View Post
    Skate America 2003, pairs long program, because the people I was near told me to be quiet when I was cheering after Petrova & Tikhonov's performance
    Interesting, because at SA 2003 in Reading (or GPF 2003-2004 in Colorado Springs if I don't remember correctly), the group of folks I was with was clapping loudly along with P/T's music and it caught on a bit throughout the arena. P/T specifically mentioned in a Russian media interview (later translated into English) that they were very pleased about that, as they had never gotten such enthusiasm from an American crowd before.

Other than that, I have been known to be suggestive and snarky enough at events for parents and young children to overhear.
    Last edited by UMBS Go Blue; 01-03-2011 at 05:08 AM.

vCash
    These remarks were overheard at SA in Portland this year. We were all trying very hard not to laugh out loud:

"You know there are two scores, one is for technique and the other is for creativity."
    A skater had a score of 74 in his short program and one of them said, "He would have gotten an 80 if he hadn't put his hand down."
    But then later he said that a hand down was a 1/2 point deduction. (???)
    "NO ONE gets above an 80 in the short program."
    "100 is the maximum points one can get."
    "That guy in the purple is going to win (re: Kevin Van Der Perrin).
    "That guy (Adam Rippon) can't be American because he's wearing a girl's shirt."
    Someone stumbled on his 3 axel - "That was a quad".
    "That guy (Armin Mabanoozadeh) can't be an American because his name's too long."
    Some guy "Didn't jump at all!"
    "Michelle Kwan was good."
    "2010 was Belbin and Agosto's first Olympics because Tanith couldn't get her citizenship. Then she had to retire because of that."
    When he found out Takahashi was the World champion..."They're gonna give it to him. He gets points for showing up."

vCash
    I don't know, maybe it's because I only attended competitions as a participant, but I think some of you are a little harsh on skaters that are sitting in the stands. Competitions are *incredibly* stressful, especially big ones like Nationals and Worlds. When you're done, it's like a thousand pound weight has been lifted off your shoulders and it's an incredible release. For lots of skaters, they are finally able to let loose after months of pressure and hard work. Most of them just want to run around, eat junk food, and have fun with their fellow competitors. Are they obnoxious? Yes. But for lots of skaters, this is their chance to act wild after a long, long period of self-restraint and stress. Many, especially the younger ones, get chatty, loud, and annoying. But seriously, give them a break and let them have their fun.

And as for the rude skating families, when you're spending $50,000+ a year, sacrificing many aspects of normal life, and watching the pains your child goes through to even get to this point, it's not unusual to try to come up with an explanation other than "my child just isn't good enough" when little Suzy falls 5 times. Skating is a tough, cruel sport that takes a huge toll on skaters and their families. Sure, many of them could behave better. They usually learn to as the years go by. But if they don't, try to put yourself in their shoes instead of just assuming they are all horrible, disrespectful, and bratty.

Also, if you guys are so horrified by skaters' behaviour when they're sitting in the stands after the competition, I imagine you'd all faint dead away if you knew what goes on at the after-parties.

Finally, it's a skating competition, not the opera or a broadway performance. I don't see anything wrong with talking. If someone is yelling, yeah that's annoying. But conversation? Don't you want to talk about what you're seeing? It's not like the music is so quiet you need to strain to hear it. Kick back, relax, get a drink, snark, and cheer! Isn't the point of going to have fun?

ETA: I'm not condoning the whole soda-spilling thing. I don't know if I can use the words I'd like to with regards to this situation

vCash
    Papa Weiss just loses those drinks cuz his shirt is so tight!!!! Lmao
    Last edited by DickButtonFan; 01-03-2011 at 07:13 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by triple_toe View Post

I don't see anything wrong with talking.
    Well then, perhaps you need an etiquette refresher course. You are not at home in your living room where you can say and do anything you want. You are in a public arena where people have paid a great deal of $$$ to be in attendance; most of those people would like to be able to concentrate on the performances, including the music, and not be distracted by your inane comments. Talking is for after the performances are over, not while they are going on. In addition to being disrespectful to your fellow audience members, it is also incredibly disrespectful to the skaters on the ice. The skaters have worked hard to get here and the least you could do is give them your full attention.

Rant over.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    It was wrong for the athlete's families to be so rude. But the message boards are not just for fans, skaters and families read/post as well. Actually, it is important for the families of skaters to read the boards, because a lot of misinformation can be corrected. It doesn't happen as much on this board, but on some boards parents of skaters and skaters will deliberately make up lies about competitors and bad mouth them. Because it is anonymous, people reading the board don't understand where it's coming from. Most skating Moms read boards just for that reason, to catch that kind of nastiness, and stop it.
    I would recommend to any skater or parent to stay well clear of the boards. There is too much stuff that gets said that could upset them and they have no control over it.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Some of these stories are just

Only attended two comps (SA 2005 and 2009), and for some reason I kept getting seats next to/in front of sick people. Had to move - sneezing/sniffling is worse to be around than talking, for me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    Cleaveland 2000. One that Timmy G competed and Cleaveland was supposedly rigged because Timmy was the hometown boy. Where a friend and I somehow ended up in the Michael Weiss' family section where they were handing out Michael #1 foam fingers which we politely declined. We had all event tickets and had been there all week, including attending the novice, junior and all senior events. Since we declined, it got really ugly. since ABC was going to show the Michael Weiss support section where everyone was a fan.
    Thanks for the info, numbers123.

I assume if you want more detail, you might be a family member or a close friend?
    Not at all. I mean, Mike just left about 15 minutes ago, and Lisa is bringing the kids over tomorrow so someone can watch them while she goes shopping. But a family member or close friend? No way.

Seriously, I've never even met Mike. I could have tried to one time, but I never did. Anyway, you have my sympathies for such horrific treatment. I understand why you probably dislike his family. Of course, at the same time, maybe Mike knew nothing about it and wouldn't have condoned such behavior. So, just because some of his family may need serious help, that doesn't necessarily mean that Mike himself should be blamed. Kind of like how many people dislike Tara's mother but think that Tara herself is pretty classy.

I think you should have thrown a fit in Cleveland, frankly. That kind of behavior should never be tolerated IMO. You might have even been able to file a police report or something.

vCash
    The worst situation that I had was sitting next to a 5 year old during one of the 2005 US Nationals in Portland. Her father just put her in her seat and turned to me and said, "I'm going to be sitting next to her mother(his ex-wife with whom I got the impression he wanted to reconcile)across the arena." I was so dumbstruck at what he had done, that I couldn't even think at the time in terms of replying to him.

This child was absolutely one of the most beautiful children I have ever seen and she was absolutely good. However, my first thought was that how did he know who I was and how do you leave a 5 year old by themselves with strangers? She was kidnapping bait. I was ready to call an usher and report the situation as well as have them call Child Protective Services. When he got back after the session, I told him, "Either you or your wife can sit here and one of you can sit with your daughter. There by the grace of God that you had someone honest. Needless to say, he picked her up and all three of them sat through the next session together.

vCash
    Across the arena!??!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    The worst situation that I had was sitting next to a 5 year old during one of the 2005 US Nationals in Portland. Her father just put her in her seat and turned to me and said, "I'm going to be sitting next to her mother(his ex-wife with whom I got the impression he wanted to reconcile)across the arena." I was so dumbstruck at what he had done, that I couldn't even think at the time in terms of replying to him.
    What I can't believe is that the mother was cool leaving her child with strangers on the other side of an arena.

vCash
    Worst for me was Atlanta Nationals with seatas in the middle of a gang of rabid Kwan fans. My companion ad I were chastised for applauding for anyone other than Kwan, whacked on the head with programs when we didn't cheer every time Kwan's image came up on the Jumbotron in the ad montages during Zamboni breaks, and kicked when he didn't rise to give Kwan a standing ovation BEFORE she skated.

At LA Nationals, when I entertained myself by writing notes and scores in my program, the Kwan fan next to me kept leaning over to look at what I was writing. When I looked a question at her, she said she was just checking to make sure I wasn't writing anything bad about Michelle.
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    What I can't believe is that the mother was cool leaving her child with strangers on the other side of an arena.
    I know. But I never got a look at the mother, who remained across the arena in her seat. Doesn't that tell you something?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    Worst for me was Atlanta Nationals with seatas in the middle of a gang of rabid Kwan fans. My companion ad I were chastised for applauding for anyone other than Kwan, whacked on the head with programs when we didn't cheer every time Kwan's image came up on the Jumbotron in the ad montages during Zamboni breaks, and kicked when he didn't rise to give Kwan a standing ovation BEFORE she skated.

At LA Nationals, when I entertained myself by writing notes and scores in my program, the Kwan fan next to me kept leaning over to look at what I was writing. When I looked a question at her, she said she was just checking to make sure I wasn't writing anything bad about Michelle.
    And what if you were writing something bad about Michelle?

I think 2004 Nationals was the worst for rude spectators that I've encountered. The ladies free skate was ridiculous. Luckily, the people sitting near me were fine, but I was about 2 or 3 rows from the craziness. If someone had whacked me on the head, like with the soda, we would have had some major, major problems

It actually makes me glad that no one at this Nationals has such a large group of rabid ubers. If I'm wrong, and they do, I hope I'm seated away from them.

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast