Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    Michael Weiss' family who pour a soda on me when I was cheering for other male competitors.
    What? I have seen them be exceptionally rude in the stands but that is really OTT.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    One of the worst for me was at 2004 US Nationals in Atlanta during the junior ladies free skate. I was seated directly behind the family of one of the competitors in the event. Before she skated, her family completed railed ever single skater that preceded her.
    I've seen that a few times. Most families of skaters tend to be very quite, though. You never know who is sitting near you and you don't want to make a fool of yourself insulting a judge or another skater's family. Most of the griping usually happens in a bar well after the event, . What I really can't stand are skater's families who don't behave well when they win. I can handle the disappointed families who want to claim wuz robbed. But the in your face obnoxious winners make me cringe.

Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    I'm a big believer in following "house rules" and the culture of seeing skating live is, you clap and root for every skater. You might root for some skaters/countries a bit more than others, but you don't actively root for anyone to fall/do poorly. I understand in a lot of sports, you're rooting for the other team to do poorly as you are for your team to do well, but skating is not like that. In most skating events given the choice of having your favorite win because everyone else fell/skated badly OR everyone skating well but your favorite lose, I really think most of us would rather see a well-skated event with someone else winning.
    That may be the "house rules" for fans, but you would be shocked at how many and how badly skaters, coaches, and families hope for competitors to crash and burn. Not all of them, but certainly, enough.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticchic View Post
    Try filming and having parents of another skater make fun of the skater on the ice. I couldn't post that video at all.
    At most of our events, you usually have a parent filming their kid. Particularly at our recent Nationals, I was very concious about anyone filming nearby as you didn't know if they were the parent of the skater or not. Best just to keep your mouth shut as you don't want your comments ending up on the video.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    One year at a show, I sat in front of a woman who railed LOUDLY about how a young skater (who was quite fit, by the way) was fat and later, how she wished Michelle Kwan would die.
    DANG! That was beyond the pale! People are nuts. I wonder, if her kid was a skater, how she'd like to hear someone wish them dead!

That and the coke spilling on numbers123 are the worst.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    Michael Weiss' family who pour a soda on me when I was cheering for other male competitors.
    You're joking, right?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    You're joking, right?
    nope

vCash
    Are they the ones that come to Liberty too, three of them?

Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    I can't say because I'm afraid they post here. But you guys with the notebook and do-it-yourself CoP, you know who you are.

Skating Pairs with Drew
    vCash
    As many have said, there have been many nice people seated nearby as well as the not so nice. This is not my worst example, but it was really annoying. Seated all week next to someone with an absurdly large fur coat and way too many bags of cameras and things. She was constantly invading my space. Her coat was highly annoying and of course completely unnescessary as it was so hot in the arena by the end of the week. After nicely asking her several times to keep her coat off of me, I reataliated in the only way possible. For the first and last time in attending a skating event, I purchased the nachos and took them to my seat. I held them in the hand closest to the annoying fur coat.

vCash
    We weren't sitting near this person, but we certainly heard the obnoxious comments. It happened at the Skaters' Tribute to Broadway Show, October 1998 in Philadelphia, PA. The skaters were doing retakes. Nancy Kerrigan came out to do a retake, and someone shouted out "Tonya!" Then Todd E. came out to do a retake (much to our surprise - he must have doubled an intended triple -everything else looked great). Nevertheless, he came out for his retake. As he was getting ready to redo the jump, some insensitive person (probably the same one who yelled out "Tonya"), shouted out, "Do the quad!" I think the audience as a whole who remained for the retakes was shocked at these two comments. As a native Philadelphian, I felt really embarrassed that someone would have the nerve to say those things and be so insensitive and insulting to the skaters. Thank goodness most of the audience was very supportive of them and the other skaters who came out to do their retakes.

Oops! This was at a show, not a competition.
    Last edited by paskatefan; 01-03-2011 at 12:51 AM.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    I had a couple of opportunities to make it to skating events but didn't go because of illness in the family. I was disappointed at the time. However, I now believe I was better off not attending after reading about all these spectacular moments at skating competitions.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    I haven't had any obnoxious people yet. I met a lovely group of ladies who had never seen live skating before at 2009 Worlds for the OD and we talked a lot. Then I got to sit with some awesome FSUers for the men's LP and FD!

vCash
    I've seen/heard quite a lot. I'm still disturbed by the drunk woman (LA 2009) who had Ingo Steur cornered at the hotel bar - telling him what's what.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I haven't had any obnoxious people yet. I met a lovely group of ladies who had never seen live skating before at 2009 Worlds for the OD and we talked a lot. Then I got to sit with some awesome FSUers for the men's LP and FD!
    Now that sounds more like it. I hope I'm sitting with some awsome FSUers if I ever have another opportunity to go.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    the other one was terribly gassy. I mean it. He was farting ALL THE TIME. Try enjoying skating having to struggle with such a smell during 90% of the competition...
    That happened to me at a Cardigans concert in Japan. I can sympathise.

I remember the lead singer being extremely stroppy as well.

Skaters are generally the worst people to sit next to at a competition because once they're done they don't give a shit about how anyone else skates.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Bitching loudly about skaters is the most fun part of going to skating events.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    You're joking, right?
    Weiss's family is well known to have been totally psycho so that's not surprising at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Weiss's family is well known to have been totally psycho so that's not surprising at all.
    Until that time I had no real opinion of Michael but that changed my views.

Since then I sat by other skaters' family and never ever experienced anything that rude. The Hughes did complain about the scoring between Sarah and Michelle, but not during either's skates. the Baldwins were polite (at least in the arena) and cheered for other pairs, many other families were supportive of the skaters - I think in part because they have been involved with elite skating for years and know each other.

In the mountains, where hippies and hillbillies collide!
    vCash
    Skate America 2003, pairs long program, because the people I was near told me to be quiet when I was cheering after Petrova & Tikhonov's performance

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I sat on the same row as them during the free skate at 2004 Nationals, let's just say it wasn't fun for me since I was cheering for Johnny Weir. Two other times I was close enough to the Weiss family to see how horribly they were behaving.

If one of them had poured a soda on me, however, we would have had some major issues.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    I was sitting with friends whose kids were competing at junior worlds a few years back and they were comp tickets for athletes and their families.. I was dismayed by the attitude of some of the families toward fans - especially those with matching sweaters etc., they also talked about message boards and how those 'uber' fans should 'get a life'... I was going to say nothing but couldn't help myself and reminded them that message boards were for 'fans' not family.. and those 'uber' fans are why they might get sponsors, hired for ice shows or even financial winnings at some events Having attended senior events and worked with older adolescents I'm sure some of their attitude was just based on their age and developmental stage.. Also it was typically the mom's who were perusing the message boards
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    If one of them had poured a soda on me, however, we would have had some major issues.
    I am too timid in real life to do anything and the usher was frightened by the jerk. Ushers were not paid enough to deal with him

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast