vCash

Snotty nosed cat

I am housesitting a Siamese cat which appears to have a bit of congestion - sniffles and snotty nose when they breath.

But otherwise the cat is in perfect health (still eating well and very playful and friendly) and I know has all it's vaccinations up to date. So I am pretty sure it is not cat flu. But am wondering if it could be hayfever (it is hayfever season here and I have been suffering it myself). And if that is the case is there anything you can do for it.

Years ago I did have a cat that seemed to get more sneezy during hayfever season but didn't have a snotty nose. But otherwise my cats have never had this problem so I am unfamilar with it.

I will give the vet a call later on today as well as the person whose house it is has given me their phone number and address.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    My little cat sneezes snot all over me, but doesn't have a snotty nose

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    my tonkinese was prone to colds and the vet had medicine that helped him. she had me use a baby nose suction cleaner thing to help him get rid of some of the congestion.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    I was also wondering if it can be a thing about some of the Exotic/Oriental breeds. I haven't looked after a Siamese before. Only just had moggys.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i think the vet said due to the shape of their nostrils they were more likely to get clogged
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    My orange tiger kitty started sneezing and snot big time. Turns out she started sneezing and I pulled a full size blade of grass out of her nose! Ugh gross but she never would have got that out on her own. I would love to know how that happened...
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    My orange tiger kitty started sneezing and snot big time. Turns out she started sneezing and I pulled a full size blade of grass out of her nose! Ugh gross but she never would have got that out on her own. I would love to know how that happened...
    She swallowed it whole, tried to use it to regurgitate a hairball, and it got lodged in a sinus cavity.

vCash
    I thought this post was going to be about a really snobbish cat! How disappointing... I was looking forward to a crazy story!

vCash
    OMG you are a cat whisperer, aren't you? My daughter has that 6th sense about cats that is just freakey. This was when she was a babe but you are probably correct on your diagnosis! The weirdest thing is we pulled one out of the other nostril a day later and she was fine after that...I miss my beloved; she was with me for 17 years...a most fine cat
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Michalle View Post
    I thought this post was going to be about a really snobbish cat! How disappointing... I was looking forward to a crazy story!
    Well I do have one if you like.

A while ago a friend of mine was housesitting an eville cat. The people who owned it had warned her and she said it would be okay. This cat used to sit on the bench or mantlepiece, wait for a person to watch and then deliberately knock things over. It also would headbutt against her bedroom during the night.

The cat I am housesitting at the moment is most friendly and not stuck up at all. Doesn't really care as long as they get pats.

My cat who is with my mum at the moment is also not eville, although he does tend to hog my mum's husband's seat just before he goes to sit there. He just knows.

vCash
    My newest cat has a virus that the whole litter also had - sneezing, gunky eyes, 'hamburger gums' (red gums). Some antibiotics normally clear it right up. Friend rescued the mom from the local Dairy Queen and the kittens came along a few weeks later - so poor health care for momma cat. It's very annoying when the cat comes up, purrs at you, cuddles up, and then sneezes all over you, especially when you're asleep.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    I've had two cats randomly get the sniffles on me but were otherwise healthy. A friend of mine recommended feeding them an L-lysine supplement. Supposedly that helps build up their immune system to fight the cold. You can get it at any health food store. Both cats were back to normal in a couple days.