vCash

Toller Cranston Interview

Here's a new Toller Cranston interview and he certainly has a lot to say...again. I do appreciate his honesty though because even if you don't agree with what he says, you have to admit there's a kernel of truth is most of what he's saying.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ent...105988663.html

Toller Cranston, the Olympian who revolutionized figure skating with his poetic artistry, says guest-judging on the CBC reality show Battle of the Blades could make him vomit.

"I am sort of disturbed about participating in it," he says while straddling a wide bench at the museum, a pose that brings to mind the split jumps of his heyday. "It's the antithesis of everything I believe, in art and skating....
    I also hope Yu Na fans aren't too angry about this comment:

He finds that most Canadians can't name the 2010 female Olympic gold medalist, South Korean Kim Yu-Na.

"It's because the performance, unlike an Evelyn Hart, was not emotionally memorable. It was technically dazzling, but out of sight, out of mind. Technique is just a stepping stone for something far more important."
    At least we all know Phil Hersh disagrees with the above.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    This is an old article from October when he was in Canada for BOTB. It was discussed at the time in the Battle of the Blades thread, along with other interviews he did.

vCash
    I just came across the article and got too excited about the snark factor that I didn't notice the date the article nor pay any attention when the article stated that Cranston was to appear in the "November 7 and 8" shows of BOTB.

Sorry about that.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    No problem - I always enjoy Toller's snarks too.

vCash
    The guy seems to be a bit preoccupied with Stojko This is the second interview I've seen where he mentions him in a none too kind way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I just came across the article and got too excited

Sorry about that.

On the run from cholla's vibrating cleavage
    vCash
    I agree with him re Yu-Na
    Although I wouldn't even call her performances "technically dazzling".

vCash
    I wouldn't be surprised if most Canadians couldn't name any figure skater, even Joannie Rochette.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Figga View Post
    The guy seems to be a bit preoccupied with Stojko This is the second interview I've seen where he mentions him in a none too kind way.
    Probably because Stojko also lives in Mexico - and perhaps because of Stojko's biases about men's skating, which Toller would strongly disagree with.

vCash
    I love Toller's skating and artwork, (I even own some of his paintings) but I don't take his snarking too seriously. He loves the spotlight and despite his rants about artistic integrity he'll do a lot of things just for money (he forgets he describes all of this in his books) which is why he is doing this show.

He does seem lacking in a sense of humor these days and that is sad.

Thanks for posting. I live in the U.S. and we don't get much Toller news.